1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

AAA clickie?

Discussion in 'Flashlights & Other Illumination Devices' started by Kilted1, Feb 10, 2016.

1. Kilted1

Kilted1 Loaded Pockets

Looking for a flashlight using a single AAA cell with a clickie. Somewhere in the 20 to 40 Lumens range would be great. No fixed price range but more affordable is of course better.

This is for my son who wants a small general duty light but for some reason has a distaste for twisty interfaces.

TIA!

2. jcwagers

jcwagers Loaded Pockets

I'm sure there are quite a lot of options that you could look at. The first one that comes to mind for me is a Streamlight Microstream. It's a clickie that's definitely in the lumen ranges you mentioned. It's also priced pretty affordable. I'm sure there will be lots of suggestions but I just thought I'd throw that one out there to get things started. :)

Ducknut and Water-Rat like this.
  3. Water-Rat

Water-Rat Loaded Pockets

Streamlight Microstream immediately comes to mind. Many people on the forums have them. $20, tail clicky, dual direction clip, single mode within your lumen range if I remember correctly.

Lumapower LM21 - Multimode light that has three modes, again there's a few people around here that have them that maybe you could get more info from.

There's a Pelican 1xAAA light with tail clicky. I think it's the 1910. Tail clicky, H/L modes. 70/14 lumens I think.

There's a 1xAAA Streamlight ProTac. Tail clicky, with programmable modes. High is 70 lumens. It can be H/Str/L, H/L, or H depending upon how you set it.

kikissabiz and jcwagers like this.
  4. ZMZ67

ZMZ67 Loaded Pockets

For the money the Lumapower LM21 isn't bad. Around $25 ,3-modes probably in the 80 lumen range on high with a regular battery.The switches on mine are a little on the stiff side but work well enough.4Sevens new Preon P1 looks pretty decent ($40) advertised as 100 lumens but I have no experience with it.I am not a huge fan of AAA lights but I would probably get a P1 myself if it were available in neutral instead of just cool white.

Water-Rat likes this.
  5. O_G

O_G Loaded Pockets

Lumintop Tool AAA

emmett, RGRAY, sticktodrum and 3 others like this.
  6. Water-Rat

Water-Rat Loaded Pockets

Thanks for that O_G, I forgot about that one. One of the guys around here even has one he got souped up by Vihn. And, there's a copper version.

I also just remembered Thrunite has a new light called the Ti5. $20, Pocket clip, tail clicky, multiple modes, and there's even a more expensive Ti version. Also, it's available in both Cool white and neutral white tints. Firefly,L,H, and Strobe modes... not sure if that would be good for the OP's purpose, but it does seem like a nice light.

O_G likes this.
  7. ripjack13

ripjack13 Loaded Pockets

I just got a Coast G19....it has 54 lumens. I got it for my wife when she lets the dog out at night. She likes it....

8. steeps

steeps Loaded Pockets

TANK007 TK703

Tallboyjim likes this.
  9. Kilted1

Kilted1 Loaded Pockets

Thanks for all the suggestions! Looks like I have some shopping to do.

ZMZ67 likes this.
  10. txman321

txman321 Loaded Pockets

streamlight protac 1aaa 70 lumens, strobe and low power setting exact same size as microstream

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

gnarley.jeep84 and Telstar like this.
  11. thatotherguy

thatotherguy EDC Junkie!!!!!

Assuming I'm not much mistaken, the Protac 1AAA is a bit longer than the Microstream, but it's still compact. I like the Protac (don't have one, but have tried one).

I'll recommend the Microstream as well. 20 lumens, 2 modes (on and off), forward clicky with momentary on capability, decent throw for the size and output, good flood, clean fairly neutral light, good clip, tough as nails.

Mine has been through a washing machine and has been tossed off a second story balcony to land on its bezel on a slab of concrete. No ill effects other than some finish loss and a bit of very minor scarring where the bezel hit the concrete slab. It still works, no matter how hard I try to kill it.

ETA: The Microstream is, according to Streamlight's website, 35 lumens. I believe I was thinking about the previous version. My mistake :)

Last edited by thatotherguy, Feb 12, 2016
  12. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

The Micro is not the same exact size as the ProTac.

13. c.southers

c.southers Loaded Pockets

14. Jgang

Jgang Loaded Pockets

4 sevens preon. carried one every day for 8 years on active duty...never let me down.

Crazy Canuck and sticktodrum like this.
  15. RGRAY

RGRAY Loaded Pockets

DQG AAA Slim Clicky

16. BarneyG

BarneyG Loaded Pockets

I've got the dqg one with a nice neutral light, I got mine with the extension tube so it can be 2xAAA as well as single AAA or single 10440.

On the negative side the knurling is a tad on the rough side

17. Windy Isle

Windy Isle Loaded Pockets

I've been carrying a Pelican 1910 every day for almost a year now. Although it's not perfect, I still haven't found anything I like better. I like it enough that I recently bought a 1920 to carry at work.

18. 0dBm

0dBm Loaded Pockets

I've been carrying the Lumintop Tool Ti AAA clickie for a few days now. I have been carrying the Maratac Ti AAA twisty on a necklace for a few months; however, I wanted something that was easier to activate with one hand. I already have the Eagletac D25A AA Ti clickie; however, it is much too large to suspend on a necklace so it shall remain in my trouser pocket.

The Lumintop Ti AAA click is only 1/4-inch longer than the Maratac due to the switch which is flush with the non-LED end of the product near the lanyard connect point. The battery in inserted into the tube when that cap that contains the switch is removed vice the section that contains the LED with twisties.

The switch action is smooth, short, and concise. The first setting is medium, then low, then high. Each setting must be turned-off before the next setting can be activated. It doesn't have the "soft-press" to activate the next setting. According to the Lumintop webpage, the lumen values for the Nichia 219BT are 85 (high), 18 (medium), and 3 (low). Medium is near ideal for general <5 feet illumination such as in a darkened aircraft cabin. Low for pitch-black settings, and High for lighting-up a small room.

The LED in this one is a Nichia 219BT. Its color rendition is better than the Maratac's which tends to be a bit greenish per my eyes. My Eagletac D25A Ti clickie also contains the the Nichia 219BT LED so there is parity between these two products. I've developed a preference for this LED for low-level, color-discrimatory illumination. For higher-level, search-type illumination, especially when I have a firearm in my primary hand, I don't care as much about the tint.

Fit and finish are very nice with just enough knurling so minimize slippage. The flush switch allows "tail standing" and is a nice feature.

The only discernible sharp edge is on the outside of the lanyard loop which is my only negative point about this product. The lanyard hole is only about 1mm in internal dimension. This is so grossly inadequate that it forces one to search intently for attachment options. Soft attachment my preference; however, I cannot even push 1mm accessory cord through that quite diminutive hole. I had to find a split ring with a wire diameter small enough to work.

Overall, it is nice product with the titanium housing, Nichia LED, and flush switch. For me, those three features set this product apart and above others in an already crowded market. Compared to the Maratac AAA product, the output will seem a bit anemic; however, the Nichia LED's better color rendition capability mitigates that shortcoming.

I'll keep the Maratac on a Ti necklace around my neck for now until I determine how to integrate the Lumintop product in my daily carry inventory.

O_G and Water-Rat like this.
  19. Westerdutch

Westerdutch Loaded Pockets

I have one of these;
    [​IMG]

Single AAA, metal covered tailcap clicky with the extender to use on 2xAAA and the optional clip. I get really lucky on the draw and received a beautiful warm tint. Its a great little light for the 20 or so bucks i spent on it!

Water-Rat and steeps like this.
  20. 0dBm

0dBm Loaded Pockets

What is the make & model?

steeps and NelsonIII like this.