1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

AA E2D Alternative?

Discussion in 'Flashlights & Other Illumination Devices' started by Windy Isle, Feb 1, 2018.

1. Windy Isle

Windy Isle Loaded Pockets

I've had a Surefire E2D Executive Defender for about nine years. I love the light, except for the batteries and the incandescent bulb. I'm trying to get away from CR123 batteries due to cost and inconvenience. I'd love to put an LED, two-mode drop-in in it, but absolutely, cannot find one (please share if you're aware of one). Does anyone know of an LED flashlight similar to the E2D (with a defensive-type bezel) that takes AA batteries?

Jdjernigan likes this.
  2. Blood

Blood Empty Pockets

Have you tried rechagable 123 batteries? I know fenix makes some lights that will take a rechagable 123 (3.7V) battery or disposable 123 batteries. Some can take 18650 rechagable batteries or two 123 batteries. For AA lights it will be hard to find one as small and bright with any decent battery life.

If you really want to go the AA route you can get one that will also run on 14500 batteries to give you more versatility and power. I have a thorfire tg06s I like it alot. It will run on either a single AA battery (200ish lumens) or a 14500 battery (500 lumens) but it doesn't have a defensive bezel.
    Fenix makes one that does have a tactical bezel the LD12, but it seems a bit pricey for what it is.

3. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

The Malkoff MDC2AA is similar to the SF somewhat and very high quality but not sure about the Bezel?
    Mine is not defensive looking(whatever that is?) but I thought they offered alternative bezels too.

The Fenix LD12 that I have do not have a defensive bezel either?

I am personally skeptical of the defensive utility of any bezel overall though.

4. Weko

Weko Loaded Pockets

Nextouch sells the TA15. Can use 1 x 14500, 1 x AA, 1x 123 or 1 x 16340. 600 lumens with the 14500. Had ceramic points embedded in the stainless bezel intended as a glass breaker, 5" long @$65-75 retail.

5. python

python Empty Pockets

6. twoisone
    • In Omnia Paratus

twoisone EDC Junkie!!!

That light is only about 60 lumens. You could try the e2laa Surefire outdoorsman. Runs at 100 lumens for nine hours on lithium aa’s. Slightly longer form factor but more than enough light for most tasks.

7. Jdjernigan

Jdjernigan Loaded Pockets

I really liked the E2D and the E1E I had before someone stole my EDC bag out of my truck in my driveway. I’m following this thread in hopes that you find an alternative and something in a AA.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. Jdjernigan

Jdjernigan Loaded Pockets

I have been looking at a Streamlight protac 1L-1AA as a possibility but I don’t think there is enough length to use as an impact weapon and the bezel is not aggressive enough if that is what you are interested in. I’ve been looking at AAA penlights for the same concept of use but can’t find one with an aggressive bezel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. Ghost

Ghost Loaded Pockets

Another vote for the Lumens Factory drop-ins, I’m running them in just about all of my old E-series lights!