1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

A Watch or no Watch?

Discussion in 'Watches' started by S_Serpent, Aug 26, 2013.

?

Do you regularly wear a watch

1. Yes

83 vote(s)
    83.0%
  2. No

17 vote(s)
    17.0%
  1. Swe_Nurse

Swe_Nurse Loaded Pockets

I wear a watch about 50% of the time when in school or just out of the house for any other reason. Maybe a bit more lately.

I don't wear a watch at work or clinicals at all.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

2. Dark

Dark Loaded Pockets

I'm wearing one because:
    1. It's faster to check the time, day of week and date on my wrist.
    2. It has an integrated compass that's faster to access than my phone.
    3. It's a solar powered time keeping device, as opposed to a (rather limited) plug in battery.
    4. It provides time and navigation redundancy - same ideas as carrying more than one knife on my person.
    5. Alarms are handy audio triggers as reminders for daily tasks I need to get done.
    I used to be part of the "I'll just use my smartphone" camp, but after researching G-Shocks, and narrowing my very specific wants out of a wristwatch, I've come to really love wearing a watch in addition to having my smartphone.

3. Monocrom

Monocrom Loaded Pockets

Sadly, your Grandad experienced something I have with, the younger generation ... A horrible and absolutely ridiculous addiction to cellphones that make actual crack addicts look normal. I saw this first-hand with younger students at the medical institute I attended. Sometimes they had to skip lunch because they could not afford food after having paid off their $300 cellphone bill. Not surprised that most of them argued with him after being warned. Tell a crackhead not to smoke crack at that very moment, yeah; they're going to get angry too.

socaldsal and CitizenSnips like this.
  4. myemptymind

myemptymind Loaded Pockets

A watch should be part of everyone's EDC. Its not jewelry as such. People rely way too much on cell phones and like devices nowadays. What will happen when one day it just ceases to function? A good automatic watch will never stop. I was given one by my father, it is now over 50 years old and still keeps the correct day, date, & time.

5. Monocrom

Monocrom Loaded Pockets

Other than "Rolex," unfortunately most folks have no clue what makes a truly nice watch. With most EDC related items, yes; you do get what you pay for. With watches? Not even remotely. It's downright sickening what you find out if you spend countless hours researching the watch industry and what they offer in their various watch models at the recognized price tiers. In an odd way, it also means that if you know what to look for, you can get a quality watch without your wallet feeling like its starving.

socaldsal likes this.
  6. mole

mole EDC Junkie!!!!!

i wear a watch permanently and tend to forget to change it.
    i have some nice watches (at least for my taste) and all i wear is my timex brick on a nato strap:(;)

7. strokes762

strokes762 Loaded Pockets

I feel naked without a watch on.

Froley likes this.
  8. Soosh

Soosh Loaded Pockets

I know what you mean. I'm only 31, but still, living in a rural area meant I didn't have cable television until age 10, dial-up Internet at 16, and a cell phone (analog, with 40 minutes talk time and 8 hours standby if you charged it all night, no texting) at 17 when I moved away for college. I was the English teacher at a camp for kids this summer ages 12-16 mostly from China and South America with a small sprinkling of Russians, and almost every one of them couldn't put his or her phone away long enough to do anything. I didn't want to take the phone away because I knew a lot of them were using them as dictionaries, but it was pretty frustrating to have to compete for attention with, well, the whole world.

And before anybody asks, no, I couldn't just crack down on them. It was made pretty clear to me when I took the job that they were customers, not students. I wish I had the disciplinary tools a public or private school teacher has on hand.

Monocrom likes this.
  9. Soosh

Soosh Loaded Pockets

PS - The only kid who I never saw use a cell phone was also one of the maybe 20% of the students who wore a watch. Care to guess who had the best English in the class?

bzimmerly and Monocrom like this.
  10. RoadWizard

RoadWizard Loaded Pockets

I feel like I'm missing a bodypart without my watch, can easily do without cell phone. Only got cell phone 4 yrs ago, daughter got it for me, cause she would get worried if unable to find me. Have to carry one for work now, but usually shut it off when i get home, still have landline. Don't understand the cell phone addiction.

11. Narcosynthesis

Narcosynthesis Loaded Pockets

Count me as one of the people who just feel naked when I don't have a watch on.

I have always worn one, and find it more than useful enough to justify its place on my wrist. A lot of places there will be alternatives such as checking my phone or using separate clocks, but that isn't always the case. At my work for example we are not allowed phones on the shop floor, so I use my watch constantly as I am not always within sight of a clock. Similarly when I am down at the scout hut or out on my bike I don't want to have a delicate smartphone in my pocket, so that gets left behind and the watch on my wrist gives me the time. Most of the rest of the time I will be within range of a clock or have access to my phone, but then I just find it more convenient to glance at my wrist for the time than looking around for the nearest clock or going fishing in my pocket for a phone.

I will also admit there is just something to be said for wearing watches for the enjoyment of it - in the same way we will debate the minutiae of different model knives or torches here, it can be just as enjoyable debating the merits of different watches, and finding the ones that suit me.

Monocrom and sungame like this.
  12. RacerX

RacerX Loaded Pockets

Pro-watch. Here's why:

1) My hands are constantly wet. Not conducive to smartphone use.

2) I time things. All the time. Holding a smartphone, opening an app, setting the timer, and putting it away when finished takes more time than what I'm timing. Not productive.

3) It's old school. I dig that. I've worn a Casio since the 80's. Not gonna change anytime soon.

13. Flying Dutchman

Flying Dutchman Loaded Pockets

My phone is not always handy....sometimes in my pocket, on belt holster, or resting in dash mount. None of those work well when I need a quick glance or only have one hand available. Even if my left hand is occupied I can usually maneuver my wrist or head to see the face of my watch. My phone's brightness also does not compete with bright sunlight, often requires some sort of shading to read accurately. Pro Watch....Pro GShock.

14. S_Serpent

S_Serpent Loaded Pockets

So far a very intresting number of points have been made.

You guys are even starting to change my view on wearing a watch again, doh :D
    Although my free wrist is still saying no at the moment, I might consider getting an automatic watch that will just keep on running.

Mmmm I'll have to start reading up on no battery phones again, as I do see a major strong point in getting one of those.

Keep the feedback comming, found it a very interesting read so far :)
    Tx for replies so far.

15. will m
    • In Omnia Paratus

will m Loaded Pockets

I always were a watch while at work. First thing is I'm not supposed to use my phone on the factory floor. Then In the mornings I need to know the date in case the overnight shift didn't change dates. I also need to log what time drivers come in and out. Also if I'm 30 feet up in the racks I really don't want to take the chance of dropping my phone. That being said, I don't really like wearing a watch if I don't need to.

16. wretched_youth

wretched_youth Loaded Pockets

I've recently re-started wearing a watch and my wedding ring. My brother got married in March (finally) and his ostentatious expensive ring-wearing got me trying the ball and chain, I mean, ring again. I used to play with and lose it regularly but I seem to have grown up a bit. On the watch, I find my recently-acquired light analogue Casio doesn't annoy me and, as people have mentioned, looking at your watch in meetings isn't quite as offensive as activating your phone. That said, I don't move or sleep without my phone now. Sad but true

BTW my brothers (twins) are hard-core expensive watch wearers (one's a higher-end Tag guy and the other is a Rolex Oyster wearer). You will have to remove those from their cold dead bodies

17. Lou_G

Lou_G Banned

I spent so many years as an automotive technician, watches and jewelry always feel strange to me. Always had to take everything off at the beginning of the day, so it just feels weird with them on. I've been in I.T. for the last 7 years, but still can't get used to the feel of a watch or jewelry. I'm going to buy a new watch and try to get used to one anyhow.

18. Sarky

Sarky Loaded Pockets

Put a 5+ year or solar battery in a mobile phone, make it attach to my wrist so I don't have to get it out my pocket or bag when I need the time, remove annoying telephone features (eg: telephone), and it may replace my watch. [​IMG]

19. bzimmerly

bzimmerly Loaded Pockets

I know of no cellphone that can compete with the convenience of a wristwatch. For many years, I didn't wear one because I had a bad habit of always bumping into things and smashing it. I still have that habit, but the Casio G-Shock can take it without breaking. (I've been wearing the same G-Shock since 2007 ... no other watch I ever wore lasted more than three months!)

strokes762 likes this.
  20. Russ Prechtl

Russ Prechtl EDC Junkie!!!!!

I don't always carry my phone with me (I'm not semi-attached to it like so many people seem to be nowadays), so I still need a time piece.