1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

A Vic Rambler or Classic SD?

Discussion in 'Knives' started by LumberJack, Mar 22, 2010.

1. LumberJack

LumberJack Empty Pockets

I can't decide.
    The rambler gives me a magnetic Phillips Head, bottle opener, wire stripper.

On the other hand, the classic SD is 6 bucks cheaper, and my inflated ego wants me to buy thee original. The rambler is thicker, and I don't desperately need the extra functions, cause I have a leatherman, but the leatherman has 3 inch blades. I'm getting an SAK cause it's around 99% less likely to inspire fear.

If you were me, which would you get?

2. nuphoria

nuphoria Loaded Pockets

Rambler... the extra phillips is really handy and it's extra thickness really isn't that noticeable. You can go wrong with either though - both quality minitools to have in your pockets :)

3. Monocrom

Monocrom Loaded Pockets

I have both. Unless you really need the Phillips screwdriver/bottle-opener/wire-stripper blade, get the Classic instead. I EDCed my Rambler for a few months a while back. Found it to be a poor substitute for my Leatherman Micra. So I switched back.

4. Narcosynthesis

Narcosynthesis Loaded Pockets

The only difference in tooling is the extra philips/bottle opener, which comes with a bit of extra weight and a slightly higher price (I think partly because they are simply less readily available).

Personally I love the philips driver, so I carry a rambler - I find it is the perfect size for small stuff like electronics, so is worth the extra size. The cost doesn't really bother me - even if the rambler is more expensive, it is still relatively cheap and great value (if not quite as cheap as the classic)

If size matters, the alox classic forfeits the toothpick and tweezers for a tiny tool.

5. shrap

shrap Loaded Pockets

I can't see any reason to carry a Classic. The scissor function overlaps with the tiny knife which overlaps the real knife in my pocket, and my nails aren't that important. The tweezers are nice though, but on the whole the Classic has very few tools that I need.

The Rambler has the all-important bottle opener - you can always improvise, but then why bother carrying tools at all?

6. pipedreams

pipedreams Loaded Pockets

Another vote for the Rambler.

7. JP

JP Loaded Pockets

If u carry your LM with you everywhere anyways I would go with the classic. Really if it was me I would get both but I am bad with money! :)

8. bquinlan

bquinlan Loaded Pockets

I'm a big fan of the Rambler. Most of the screws I come across seem to be Phillips these days.

I have given out members of the Rambler family (Rambler, Manager, and Midnight Manager) to all my co-workers. And I have a pair of Ramblers with "Irish" scales (green with clover emblem) that live attached to my vest and on my desk.

--Bob Q

9. tiktok 22

tiktok 22 Loaded Pockets

Rambler. I use the phillips all the time. It seems to fit better than most phillips on other pocket multitools.

10. mr.hauser

mr.hauser Loaded Pockets

I have a Vic manager on my keychain at all times. (rambler + pen scale = manager) The bottle opener/ screwdriver comes in handy every so often, so I don't mind the slight added thickness.