1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

A Vic OH Trekker review!!!!!

Discussion in 'Gear Reviews' started by BIG-TARGET, Aug 13, 2006.

1. BIG-TARGET

BIG-TARGET Empty Pockets

2. parnass

parnass Loaded Pockets

When I carry a Swiss Army Knife, it is a One Hand Trekker. The long main blade and wood saw are great for outdoor work. I have it with me while riding a tractor in my field. If I see a plant that needs cutting or a small branch which requires pruning and I don't have a full sized tool, the OHT usually substitutes. I clean the sap off the blades with WD-40.

The OHT needs a belt clip and I wish the Phillips screwdriver was end mounted.

I use a bicycle inner tube sheath for comfortable, horizontal carry.

Attached Files:

3. BIG-TARGET

BIG-TARGET Empty Pockets

innertube. Sounds like a concept, I may try it!! O0

4. Lugsalot

Lugsalot EDC Junkie!!!!!

Very thorough and insightful review, BT. I've been curious about the One Hand SAKS for a while now, and will give one a serious look the next time I'm at the cutlery store. That sure is one well-loved Spartan, btw!

parnass: very inventive idea with the bicycle tubing. How's the balance between retention and deployment?

5. parnass

parnass Loaded Pockets

Inner tubes come in different diameters. I used an old inner tube which was small enough so that the knife can never fall out by accident yet large enough to accommodate the knife. I can pull the knife from the sheath without a struggle because I replaced the OHT's small split ring with a ring large enough to insert a finger and pull the knife.

Inserting the knife back into this size inner tube sheath requires I use both hands -- one to stretch the end of the inner tube open and the other to hold and push the knife inside the tube.

The OHT is a large knife, but carrying it horizontally is amazingly comfortable. The inner tube sheath takes up virtually no extra room as compared with a nylon or leather sheath.

6. Sharpdogs

Sharpdogs Uber Prepared

I carry mine attached to a lanyard with a quick release that's clipped to my belt.  I agree a belt clip would be great addition.  There was someone from another forum who was successful in attaching the Spyderco wire clips to SAKs.  The one I carry on myself and site has a black blade.  Be aware that these are large knives.  They take up much more pocket space than a Soldier or Explore modell.

https://edcdepot.com/merchantmanager/product_info.php?cPath=1&products_id=53

7. Lugsalot

Lugsalot EDC Junkie!!!!!

I'm going to give this a try sometime. Thanks for the info!

8. tcolling

tcolling Empty Pockets

Here is a link to a review that I wrote about Vic's new belt pouches with rotating clips: http://www.sosakonline.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=88&Itemid=35

Here's a photo from that review:
    [​IMG]

In the review I discuss using it to carry a Vic One Hand Fireman, which is a slightly larger cousin to the OH Trekker.

I really like these belt pouches because the 111mm Vics are too big for pocket carry (for me, at least) and they allow you to carry horizontally if you wish to do so.

- Tim

9. bladefrenzy

bladefrenzy Loaded Pockets

I had a OHT with a clip added. I traded it off, but it held up for a good while and never loosened up or gave any problem. You can drill and tap the liner and use and clip ya want, this was a standard "benchmade style 3 screw clip" from knife kits.com. But I do like the idea you had with the inner tube. Simple form and function , can't go wrong. Steve

10. BIG-TARGET

BIG-TARGET Empty Pockets

11. parnass

parnass Loaded Pockets

Today I was reminded of how useful the Victorinox One Hand Trekker's blade serrations were. I had to cut a piece of tubing located deep inside and underneath my tractor. There wasn't much clearance, but the OH Trekker's long, serrated knife blade easily cut the tubing with just a few sawing motions. Having the serrations located at the tip end made this possible.

12. RovingArcher

RovingArcher Empty Pockets

I got one of the green trekkers that the German Bundeswehr issues. I put it through some fire making chores and it quickly became my EDC.

13. Prof. Ed

Prof. Ed Empty Pockets

Do you have a link to this sheath.?I can't seem to find one. I want it to fit the OH Trekker.

Thanks

14. tcolling

tcolling Empty Pockets

Just email FelineVet Tim at this email address, he's a great dealer and the profits go to a charitable vet assistance foundation: fveap@earthlink.net

- Tim