1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

A sling pack??

Discussion in 'EDC Bags' started by mley1, Jun 21, 2015.

1. moostapha

moostapha Loaded Pockets

That's a nice looking bag.

2. Pepsi Jedi

Pepsi Jedi Loaded Pockets

Nice. The dark one looks sharp. Hope it works out for you.

3. mley1

mley1 Loaded Pockets

Thanks. I hope the pack works well for her needs too. But, if it doesn't I'll probably use it. I like to carry a few things around with me where ever I go.

4. Pepsi Jedi

Pepsi Jedi Loaded Pockets

*nods* Good deal.

If not, you could list it on the Buy and sell forum here. lol. I'm sure someone would pick it up.

5. Deanster

Deanster Loaded Pockets

Couple quick thoughts - it'll be interesting to see how the Fatboy works out for her. It's a fantastic design overall, and truly excellent for keeping things out of your hands and pockets.

So much depends on her specific needs - it could work perfectly, or be a bit challenging, depending on what she's trying to do. The upside of the Fatboy is that it's rock-solid, well-protected, remarkably compact storage for a goodly amount of stuff.

The potential downsides are: The pockets are relatively small, and if your stuff isn't the size and shape of the pockets, you can end up fighting the bag; the main compartment rain fly can get awkwardly in the way if you're in and out of that compartment regularly (I cut mine out with scissors); and the one that ended up being the dealbreaker for me - the bag simply has no way to accommodate a piece of paper, even folded in half or thirds. I kept on getting handed pieces of paper and needing to fold it into quarters, so it looked like kid's homework.

It's a great bag in lots of ways, and we still have it and use it as a small camera bag, or as a travel day-bag, etc. but the very-specific shape made it not work as an EDC for me. I know it works well for lots of others - not trying to be harsh on the bag, just to discuss the pros/cons.

Hopefully the Fatboy will work well for her. If she runs into trouble with it, IMHO the next thing on the list to try is the x-small Timbuk2 Messenger bag, as someone mentioned above. Bombproof, looks very unobtrusive, and the option to customize it with your own colors is outstanding.

6. mley1

mley1 Loaded Pockets

Once it gets here I'll have her load it out with her stuff. Hopefully it'll go well, and will meet her needs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. Deanster

Deanster Loaded Pockets

Yep. Not to belabor the point, but just because it may help you help her think about how she uses a bag, the Fatboy fit 'my stuff' just about perfectly.

It wasn't until I EDC'd it for several months that I realized that I end up getting paper from people 3-4 days a week as I'm out and about, and I kept on not having a place to put it, and decided that if I'm going to the trouble of carrying a bag, it needed to be big enough/shaped correctly for at least 1/2 folded sheets of paper.

Again, this may or may not be relevant to her situation, but I've since realized that my bag needed to accommodate not only what I left the house with, but stuff I 'gained' along the way each day.

Sadly, I can't get away with the 'Tony Stark' approach of just not letting people hand me things. :)

8. mley1

mley1 Loaded Pockets

So far her Fatboy is fitting her needs. She usually has 2 bottles of water, her wallet, some snacks, a Vic Swiss Army knife, a utility tool like a small leatherman, her sun glasses, and sometimes a spare t shirt. The sinch rain cover of the main compartment allows her quite a bit of flexibility and expansion. She is liking it so far.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. ManiaTreks

ManiaTreks Loaded Pockets

[​IMG]
    This is my Fatboy. I can carry:
    500ml Nalgene
    Kindle Paperwhite
    Phone: Samsung Galaxy 6 Edge
    Smith and Wesson M&P 9mm and additional magazine
    Wallet
    Small Moleskine cahier
    Reading glasses