1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

A sling pack??

Discussion in 'EDC Bags' started by mley1, Jun 21, 2015.

1. mley1

mley1 Loaded Pockets

Ya'll, I need a sling pack of some kind. I'm not real sure exactly on brand or configuration. Here are my needs; carry my lunch(mostly a tuna fish pack, fruit, maybe a sandwich, all not needing refrigeration), carry my phone, carry my wallet, and maybe a t shirt and pair of socks. This pack will be for my wife. She got a new job at Moody Gardens in Galveston Texas. She loves the new job. But, she doesn't want to spend any money on lunch, and wants to bring it with her. They are not allowed to carry their phone in their back pocket. Phones are to be out of sight out of mind.

My first thought was 5.11 Moab 6, or Maxpeds Fatboy versipack. But, she wants something a touch smaller I think. I already have several 5.11 packs, including their 12, 24, and 72. She says that the smallest, the 12 is way too big. Thus why I'm looking for a much smaller pack, and she wants a sling pack.

Currently she is using one of 5.11's accessory packs with a nylon strap run through the molle on the back as a shoulder strap. But I want something better for her. She's not really into tactical. And, her favorite color is peach(go figure). So, I'm hoping you guy's and gals can point me into the right direction so I can find my wife a quality sling pack that will fit her needs.

2. BalancedEdge

BalancedEdge Loaded Pockets

I got a Patagonia Mass Sling about a week ago and I've been carrying it daily outdoors and such. Patagonia makes really high quality sling bags that are pretty small. The Mass Sling is only about 14" x 9" x 5" but it has good capacity for a lot of different items. Laptop pocket would hold folded clothes pretty well, wider middle pocket could hold a paper bag lunch, and specific pockets for phone/ wallet, etc;
    Plus, it doesn't have the tacticool appearance that draws attention. I'd look at their other sling bags as well.

mley1 likes this.
  3. mley1

mley1 Loaded Pockets

She won't be carrying a laptop at all. She will never need a pocket that large probably. Thanks for the suggestion on Patagonia packs though. I never heard of them, and will check out their packs.

4. 343KD

343KD Loaded Pockets

Timbuk2 has smaller messenger bags and you can design your own if you want. My wife designed her own and loves it

mley1 likes this.
  5. groovster

groovster Loaded Pockets

Timbuk2 certainly has some nice bags.

For a non-tactical looking sling bag, I really like my Tactical Tailor Concealed Carry Sling Bag. It has close to the dimensions you mentioned, the strap is wide and well padded for comfort and TT's craftsmanship is top notch. I doubt you'll convince them to make her one in peach, though. :D

mley1 likes this.
  6. phatch

phatch Loaded Pockets

While the Noatak is ostensibly a tactical pack, if you get it in the two tone khaki/foliage it looks pretty domestic. There's not enough Molle to really generate that tactical feel.

mley1 likes this.
  7. masofnos

masofnos EDC Junkie!!!

Maxped thermite can be used as a sling and is small

8. 400LBGUERRILLA

400LBGUERRILLA Loaded Pockets

You can take a look at the Vanquest tolcat at their fire sale. Under $40 in the gray. Smallish, may still be too tactical looking but very murselike. Pics posted previously in Tolcat thread.

9. Municipal_Jedi

Municipal_Jedi Loaded Pockets

Tom Bihn Cafe Bag small or medium would work depending on how much extra room she would like. They come in many different colors, are USA made and really a great company.

You also support the forum by purchasing from them and letting them know you heard about them from these forums.

10. Blinks711

Blinks711 Loaded Pockets

Look for a Jansport Boardwalk sling pack. I believe they are discontinued but with a little work on the internet you should be able to find one pretty cheap. It is high enough quality for her applications and I believe peach was one of the colors offered. We have had one floating around the house for years and it has had no flaws. Also, it doesn't scream tacticool.

11. phatch

phatch Loaded Pockets

Some ideas on customizing what you get to be more peachy.

Redo the zipper pulls in an orange/yellow/peach like paracord. I like the Matthew Walker knot more than the overhand most of them come with. Or go for more of a pull tab with a two tone cobra weave or Coby Pea Banger style.

Or if she's a fan of the contemporary loop style pulls, use some heat shrink tubing around some of the paracord pull to create that more open loop. Amazon has a lot of different colors and sizes available.

Cobra weave the handle in orange paracord, or do a two tone if preferred.

Redo the shock cord in the right shade. Amazon has some surprising colors for this.

An orange 'biner or three. Even the plastic low IR ones are nice as from supply captain (ghillie tex tactical link is their proper name so you can search for it.)

Roll up a properly colored bandana to slip behind some of the molle.

Get her a pencil case from Jet Pens in the appropriate color. Good for internal organization for cables, chargers and such if she doesn't carry that much writing gear. I like the Nomadic PE08 in "yellow" but is a bright orange. But I too like orange. jetpens has a nice orange scissors system too that clips nicely under molle, the Raymay pencut mini.

12. CatherineM
    • In Omnia Paratus

CatherineM Loaded Pockets

I don't want to be indiscreet, but I have trouble with sling packs because the strap runs right under a boob. I'm fairly small there, and it still drives me nuts. My Mom was a EEEE so at least I was spared that.

Sent by owl post.

ManiaTreks likes this.
  13. mley1

mley1 Loaded Pockets

Great suggestions ya'll!! Well, still deciding. She told me NOT to get her a better pack. You know what that means! I better get her a decent pack.;)

groovster likes this.
  14. RC2814

RC2814 Loaded Pockets

Maybe the Maxpedition Proteus, or something of that nature? Perhaps the Bail Out Bag from LAPG?

15. mley1

mley1 Loaded Pockets

I went with a Maxpedition Fatboy Versipack, in blue. It's gonna be on its way soon. I got a smokin deal of Evilbay at 40 bucks, plus the shipping. The wife and I both should enjoy the pack. She likes blue, and I do too. So, it's gonna do double duty.

16. Pepsi Jedi

Pepsi Jedi Loaded Pockets

I recently had a 5.11 moab 6. It'd carry everything she wants in a sling configuration. It's nicely sized with out being too big at all. I fit an Ipad, Kindle, and other assorted things in mine. Worked great.

Other than that the Maxpedition jumbo is a nice size for me too, it's a hip wear sling style, and has a water bottle holder built in.

17. sk33tr

sk33tr Loaded Pockets

i was gonna suggest the maxped incognito duo, but i see you already made your choice.

it's fairly low-profile and has very minimal molle on each side. it's touted as a tablet pack and looks like a nice bag.

18. mley1

mley1 Loaded Pockets

I couldn't resist the price on the Fatboy. 40 bucks sure seemed like a good price.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

19. Pepsi Jedi

Pepsi Jedi Loaded Pockets

Fatboy is a bit smaller than the Jumbo. No bottle holder but should work for your wife's need. $40 is pretty good they run about $50 to $65 new. So you got a decent deal. Glad you found something you guys like.

Did you go for the dark blue with black accents or the lighter royal blue with foliage accents?

20. mley1

mley1 Loaded Pockets

Dark blue with black accents. I pulled this pick off Amazon. But, the pick from the Evilbay listing looks just like it.
    [​IMG]

My wife will like it I think. She actually carry's a plastic water jug kind of thing. It's not a nalgene bottle. But, more of a stylish decorated bottle with a screw on top. The top has a little spout to drink from. I believe it'll fit inside the bag. Plus, her lunch, and other lady's items should all fit. She doesn't take much into work. The bag should work great for what she needs.