1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

A Rookie and what EDC means to me.

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Southpaw, Sep 22, 2012.

1. Tixx

Tixx Loaded Pockets

Best of my collection are Mini Grip Ritters with Wilkins scales. I love these knives!

2. Southpaw

Southpaw EDC Junkie!!!!!

Absolutely. You might think it has left you but in fact, it was there the whole time :) but it seems like its in your blood :) I have two boys and I've already exposed them to my flashlights, playing flashlight tag with my oldest. He even attaches my AAA to his firetrucks. Maybe one day when he gets old he'll say "why do I happen to like flashlights do much??"

Tixx likes this.
  3. Southpaw

Southpaw EDC Junkie!!!!!

Current pocket dump!
    [​IMG]

4. Willow909

Willow909 Empty Pockets

Cool man. Glad to see someone taking the view point of A father and Husband must be a protector above all else. Little ones change your view on life thats for sure.

5. larry h

larry h Loaded Pockets

Welcome to EDCF.

6. Southpaw

Southpaw EDC Junkie!!!!!

Been a while since I've posted on here. It's funny when one thinks he's set on a certain carry, only to have bought more items to add to the rotation. I never understood that in the beginning to "rotate" items, but as we continue on our EDC journey, we learn, we gain knowledge, and we start to gain affinity to certain types of items. We add, we subtract, and eventually our EDC is shaped and molded bc of that.

We rotate items to keep things fresh and, we rotate items based on the occasion, based on needs. And, we rotate items simply bc we enjoy it!

It's cool looking back on my past post of my EDC. It's like going back and reading your journal. You laugh about what you did, why you did it and compare it to where you are now.

Pord and Fukurai like this.
  7. Fukurai
    • In Omnia Paratus

Fukurai EDC Junkie!!!!!

Very well said. It's like a pair of shoes. I think more people have more pairs of shoes than knives or flashlights. As they rotate their shoes for each situation or just for fun, most of the people here in the Forum rotate their knives, lights and what else to fit in each situation or just for fun.

8. Southpaw

Southpaw EDC Junkie!!!!!

Very well said! I was trying to find a metaphor but the shoe metaphor is perfect.

Here's my four types of carry thus far in my journey. I'm not gonna say (which I normally do) that I'm gonna have these four types of carries for a while cuz who knows a year from now I might only have two, or even six!

My Gentlemen carry. When I have to wear dress attire for work meetings, weddings, special occasion etc.
    [​IMG]

My EDC philosophy has always been "simple, classy, effective, and multi functional." And I think every carry meets that philosophy.

My favorite watch is the Orient Ray in Blue. It's simple enough that you can dress down wearing it with shirt and jeans. It's classy enough that you can dress up wearing a suit and tie for special occasions, making this watch multi functional.

Based on Watchuseek, the company Orient is a small Japanese company (who's partners with Seiko) that makes very quality, crazy accurate watches in a very affordable package. Many people question why this watch is so accurate and durable for the price ($140), it is bc they supply their own parts, cutting costs when having to partner with other companies for their parts. The watch only loses a few seconds a day. Very accurate for a $140 watch, thus making this watch very effective.

It's a beautiful watch. I specifically picked the blue bc the blue shimmers in the light. I didn't want the black bc black is basic. But the blue is dark enough that it can come off black.

Fukurai likes this.
  9. Southpaw

Southpaw EDC Junkie!!!!!

My second carry is my "Classic" or casual carry. This carry I use the most when I am not working. I say classy bc the brown, leather, and the wayfarers remind me of the old fashion days.

[​IMG]

I really love the Saddleback sleeve wallet. Super simple with no multiple pockets. Also it's effective in a way that it doesn't allow me to overflow my wallet with nonsense things. Just the important cards and that's it. And the brown leather is classy.

My go to favorite every day sunglasses is my New Wayfarers in Tortoise. I love these glasses so much that I recently ordered the Polarized version. These sunglasses are so effective (not just bc they're polarized) that you can wear them on any occasion (multi functional). Whether it is going to the beach, wearing a suit and tie, or shorts and shirt. I picked the tortoise bc they are dark enough that it can pass as black.

10. Southpaw

Southpaw EDC Junkie!!!!!

My sport carry. Any sporty attire or times I wouldn't mind getting my stuff messed up (beater EDC)

[​IMG]

Microstream. It's not the most beautiful. It's not the most expensive. And it's not the brightest. But there's something about this light that I keep coming back to. An I think I know what it is. It's simply bc it's a no hassle, no surprise single mode momentary light. It's small, freakishly light and you know when you turn it on, you're gonna get "enough" illumination for your daily needs. No disco, no figuring out what setting you want it on. You simply press the cap and wala, light.

I love my Citizen Eco Drive (CA0255). This too is a multi fictional watch. It's simple enough that you can wear them in sporty attire, but has enough aesthetic features to wear it with a shirt and tie. I have a black, brown, and green nato strap to choose from. Oh and it's an eco drive so no batteries needed. (simple and effective)

The good ol Cadet. The Cadet is the reason why I stopped (or currently ;) ) carrying a folder. It's simply thin that it disappears in your pocket, and multi functional that it has over 6 effective tools to choose from. I love the blade. The thinner and sharper, the better.

Pord likes this.
  11. Southpaw

Southpaw EDC Junkie!!!!!

My work carry. Only worn during my work week.

[​IMG]

I work In a 24 hour facility so I need a good light that is equally bright and that can throw. I work with a population that sometimes AWOL from the facility and by policy, we are to make sure they are monitored at all times. And if they do decide to AWOL, we need to locate them immediately. My FourSevens Maelstrom X10 fits the criteria of what a wok light should be. Love the simplicity! Simple tail cap UI with a low and hi mode. That's it. Simple. Click for momentary. Twist for on and off.
    Is it effective? 700 lumens with 24k cd, it sure is! You can see up to 250 yards EFFECTIVELY. It's got a beautiful creamy white tint, with a very very wide beam, with a defined hotspot.

My second wallet is my LA wallet from CountyComm. It's a bifold with two clear windows. I use my work badge and license for both windows and it works well. Super thin and the wallet is very durable.

My favorite go to EDC light is the one and only D25A. Don't be fooled by its elegant looks. With a 14500 cell, this thing ramps up to 500 lumens. Out of all the light I've own by far, size to performance ratio, the brightest light I've come across. It's elegant, performs perfectly, and it can tail stand. It's light, lots of available disco modes, and has the best pocket clip of all the lights ive come across. It's titanium so you know it's basically a tank.

My beater watch Timex I got for $28 is still ticking. I've taken this watch everywhere from mtn biking, traveling, swimming etc and I mean I have no care or consideration for this watch yet its still going strong. I love the big numbers and the indiglo is bright and clear.

12. Southpaw

Southpaw EDC Junkie!!!!!

So my present EDC is very simple as you can see. I'm minimalist by heart. I don't like carrying too much gear yet, they're all pretty effective in what they do, and they're multi functioning at the same time. After almost a year of edcing, based on my lifestyle and daily tasks I run into, what I have on me works best.

I really love blades that are thin and ffg. They slice the best. I just can't seem to not carry the cadet bc it's a knife and tool at the same time in a beautiful package (and for only $25!)

I used to EDC 18650 lights but after a while, they feel too bulky in the pocket. Pocketability is just as important as functionality. For EDC only AAA or AA lights work best.

I also try to find value in my items that ars reasonable in price (although the D25A is $71, you really do get what you pay for). My knife is not more than $30, Saddleback for $22, LA Wallet for $10, my X10 I got half off for $50, my Citizen I bought used for $120, and one of the most highly valued watch with its sheer durability and accuracy, the Orient Ray is only $140.

Pord likes this.
  13. Fukurai
    • In Omnia Paratus

Fukurai EDC Junkie!!!!!

Nice setups. I'm going to try to get multiple setups as well, my current situation doesn't allow it atm, but asap I try to change some things. On the one side I try to minimize the stuff I carry in my pockets and carry maybe a small backpack just for some extra stuff, but not for bigger things. If I need a bigger pack, I can through the small one inside and still have it. Trying to get a Fenix E01 or E05 as a keychain light, a black alox vic and a slim leather wallet, maybe a saddleback. Done with a nice gents edc. I might replace the Gerber Shard, because it's not very well formed IMO.

On the other hand I also try to get a more beater/fun EDC with a fixed (Izula or similar) and a good flashlight, just toss my Fenix LD12 in the small pack and done. So there you have a good basic EDC also nice for the forests and stuff, but I'll first focus on the gents EDC.

I think the first bigger purchase will be a new watch. I love my G-Shock, but as said in some other thread it's not always appropriated for more formal events. Another thing I noticed is that when it's dark I really just want to get a quick glance at my watch and see the time. Sometimes my hands are occupied with something and I barely can press the light button, so I don't see anything at all. I first go for a nice tritium watch. I really dig them and with a metal strap instead of the military nato strap most even classify for a formal dress up event. I don't have a big wrist, so I can't wear big watches (looks so silly). Therefore maybe a small traser might be already enough. We'll see what time brings.

14. Southpaw

Southpaw EDC Junkie!!!!!

Having multiple setups I think is a very good way to utilize items instead of them sitting in the drawer and that may be eventually sold. I liternally use all of y setups and had been working out very well for me.

Having a backpack for extra things is also a great idea. I have a maxped micro organizer filled with many useful daily things that I throw in my work bag. So if I need an extra battery or pen or need to access a multi tool it's right there. It always stays in my backpack Andy backpack is never too far from me.

Keep me uodated in the watch you get! It seems like you want a watch that's multi functional in a sense that you want it to peform well, but also look nice.

Definitely the more items you have that meet a lot of your requirements allows it to be utilized (your money is actually being used) thus allows you to not over populate on EDC items. (Or not) ;)

Fukurai likes this.
  15. yakuzaboss

yakuzaboss Loaded Pockets

Greetings Southpaw. Awesome intro!

Southpaw1925 and Fukurai like this.
  16. automaticjack

automaticjack Loaded Pockets

Speechless and impressed. Welcome from a new guy.

from droid

Southpaw1925 likes this.
  17. jeepsrjason
    • In Omnia Paratus

jeepsrjason Loaded Pockets

A little late but welcome to the forum!!! Great story and EDC as well!!! :)

Southpaw1925 likes this.