1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

A Rookie and what EDC means to me.

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Southpaw, Sep 22, 2012.

1. Southpaw

Southpaw EDC Junkie!!!!!

[​IMG]

Got my new Streamlight Microstream to add to my EDC. I thought about getting a Preon 2 because the lumens is higher with more options but for a ~$20 light, 28 lumens is enough to do any general task. If I need more, I still have my bbqbuy 300lm Cree with 10440 battery. I call it my light saber ;)

This will be my permanent EDC for a while and I'm loving it!

powerring and Blade9876 like this.
  2. Southpaw

Southpaw EDC Junkie!!!!!

Current EDC/pocket dump

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

jph0200, david57strat and enki_ck like this.
  3. Southpaw

Southpaw EDC Junkie!!!!!

[​IMG]

My new EDC

jph0200, Fukurai and mooshisho like this.
  4. KAMM
    • In Omnia Paratus

KAMM Loaded Pockets

Das a perdy blade!!!!

mooshisho likes this.
  5. Southpaw

Southpaw EDC Junkie!!!!!

Oh I love it! I have fairly small to medium hands and this thing just fits me like a glove. The plastic handle can come off weak and feel like a toy but its rock solid. Just the right EDC knife for me :)

mooshisho likes this.
  6. mooshi
    • In Omnia Paratus

mooshi Loaded Pockets

True that! Nice color combo, by the way!

The fact that it's got a plastic handle doesn't bother me whatsoever. I don't even think about that when I'm using it and I've never thought, "Hmm, I love my BM Mini Grip, but I'd like it better with [this] handle material." It's the perfect knife for me. :) Daily user and other than for the aesthetics of having a small Sebbie and having various locking mechanisms and stuff, I really could care less about getting another knife. I'm happy with just this one.

7. david57strat

david57strat EDC Junkie!!!

Great pictures. Welcome to EDC Forums, Southpaw!

8. xbanker
    • Administrator

xbanker Geriatric Admin
    Staff Member

Nice intro! Always gratifying to have a new convert join the fold. Admittedly, I'm biased, but you've picked a great place to broaden your horizons and maybe learn a few things along the way. You're surrounded by kindred souls. (Translation: we're nothing but a bunch of enablers!) :)

Southpaw1925 likes this.
  9. Southpaw

Southpaw EDC Junkie!!!!!

You know I gotta admit something. I recently created a post called "knives that you regret giving up." This mini grip is actually the very first knife I have ever bought for myself that I regret returning. Prior to acquiring all the knowledge about knives, I exclusively bought this knife due to its aesthetics and benchmade's history of quality.

When I bought it, I thought it was too small, too plasticy, and the deployment was so smooth it kinda felt cheap to me. And for $97 that I paid for, I thought as little as this is in size, I could get a bigger sized knife for the price.

So I went through my journey with other knives. Some big, some bigger, frame locks, liner locks, compression locks, back locks, assisted openings etc.

Any knife enthusiast can tell you this but the further you go through your knife journey and the wealth of knowledge you gain, the more you will realize what you will like and what you will not like in a knife. Pretty natural. Some like it more tactical, some more gentleman. Some big, some small etc.

And for me, I've never lost my minimalist/utilitarian philosophy. Well minimal yet effective.

I'm also left handed.

So imagine trying to close an assisted opening frame lock knife, or even a liner lock knife. If I'm holding an item that needs opening in one hand and a knife on the other, it takes a takes a bit to close such a knife. I realized I didn't like knives that were over 3". I didn't like knives that were too large as its uncomfortable in the pocket. I didn't like knives that were too tactical to where it scares people off. I didn't like knives that I had to struggle opening and closing with more than one hand. I even thought I preferred deep carry knives. but even those are a bit of a struggle trying to pull them out. Then I thought about my mini grip.

Small...solid...effective...easy to open and close with one hand.. Ambidextrous opening and closing, pocket clip is not too deep, not too high. 154cm steel. And as an addition, being left handed, I don't feel like I'm looking at the "reverse" side of a knife!

Now that I have this knife, idk if its just the knowledge and experience of knives that got me to this point, my mini grip doesn't feel like that small, toy, plasticy knife I remember. It's the perfect size for EDC, it's solid, butter smooth deployment, and the butter smooth closing reminds me that of a pm2. No need to fiddle so hard just to get the frame lock to release away from the blade. A simple light pinch of the axis studs automatically drops the blade into the handle. DELISH.

Cobra 6 Actual, Fukurai and mooshisho like this.
  10. Southpaw

Southpaw EDC Junkie!!!!!

Current EDC setup and pocket dump
    [​IMG]
    1) Benchmade Mini Grip
    2) bbqbuy 300lm Cree light
    3) Victorinox Midnite Manager
    4) LA Wallet
    5) Timex Expedition Rugged Watch T49750
    6) RayBan Caravan
    7) goinggear whistle
    8) ResQMe
    9) Pilot G2 Pen
    10) iPhone 4S w/ Elago case

[​IMG]

11. chas353
    • In Omnia Paratus

chas353 Loaded Pockets

Great post I am new also, been carrying "stuff" on me for years just didn't know there was a name for it. Welcome and very well said.;)

12. senorsquare

senorsquare Loaded Pockets

Nice. The olive drab/black blade mini grip is pretty high on my to get list. I had a black handle/satin blade mini-grip that was one of my favorites (I gave to my girlfriend as I started acquiring more knives to avoid the "why do need so many knives?" discussion). I've always had a mind to replace and the one you have pictured there is exactly what I had in mind. It's just a matter of time...

13. Southpaw

Southpaw EDC Junkie!!!!!

I hope you end up getting it. The od handle with hock black to me is the best color combo for the mini grip. There's really no need to trying to persuade you to get this cuz u already know how great of an EDC knife this is. Take a pic of it and post it here when you get it

14. Southpaw

Southpaw EDC Junkie!!!!!

Can't wait to see your future gear is at evolves my friend

15. Southpaw

Southpaw EDC Junkie!!!!!

New addition to my EDC: Zebralight SC600!!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

16. Southpaw

Southpaw EDC Junkie!!!!!

New addition! Citizen Eco-drive CA-0255 in Black and OD Mil-Spec Nato straps from CountyComm

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Pord and AK Adventurer like this.
  17. 6_String_Jams
    • In Omnia Paratus

6_String_Jams Loaded Pockets

Welcome! These are my absolute favorite sunglasses in the world....Good taste my friend, fist bump!

18. Southpaw

Southpaw EDC Junkie!!!!!

Thanks man! Love em! They're so versatile you can wear them with anything !

Pord likes this.
  19. Tixx

Tixx Loaded Pockets

Welcome!

This statement got me perfectly
    "It's amazing how things appear, then disappear in your life, then reappears again without knowing it was even there the whole time. My love for tactical gear and survival gear was there the whole time. Maybe it was the exposure at a young age that got me into this. Who knows?"

Long before this forum and survival shows I worked on a survival kit maybe in my teens. Well, it then got lost and took a back seat only to one day think...where is that kit. I could not find it so I built another. Came out great and eventually found that original kit in the basement of my parents house. We traced this EDC/Survival thing to my German Grandfather who was super handy and always prepared. Had everything you could dream of in the back of his 4 door Ford pickup. I think I was intrigued by all the small and gadgety things I found when I was with him and very young. So this just came out in me at different points in my life and it was so obvious whose influence this was once thinking back "why am I like this?". :)

20. Tixx

Tixx Loaded Pockets

Once I found the Midnite Manager with white led, it never leaves me. In my pocket now as I type. Always comes in handy for urban EDC!