1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

A Rookie and what EDC means to me.

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Southpaw, Sep 22, 2012.

1. Southpaw

Southpaw EDC Junkie!!!!!

Hello All!

I just wanted to take this time to introduce myself to this forum and tell you a little bit about myself and my view of EDC. My name is Southpaw and I've actually been just recently into edcing for just a few months.

To be quite honest with you, I didn't even know about the idea of EDC until I saw a video on YouTube of this guy showing off his knife, multi tool, flash light and a back up knife. In all honesty, I thought it was the most arrogant and obsessive thing to do! What's the big deal with explaining what you have? Why do u have so many things on you? These questions baffled me for quite sometime, but now I know.

A few months later, idk what changed but I am now a full pledged edcer! But I do ask myself from time to time, "what prompted the change?" "Why all of a sudden am I into knives, tools, and even guns??" I had to do a little rewinding and searching for answers.

After doing some rewinding, I realized I was actually around those things at a very young age. My father had a bunch of knives and even axes that he used for knife throwing! He also had a few BB guns in which he taught me how to shoot. He also made me a sling shot in which I would put used cans on top of a wall for target practice. I spent a lot of mu childhood doing these thins until I moved to the U.S. (My Dad was in the Navy and was stationed to SoCal). On top of that my Dad was a carpenter and had tons of tools in the garage. All kinds, wrenches, saws, power tools you name it. But tools was something I was never interested in.

Fast fwd about a year ago, all of a sudden I have this desire to buy a tool belt. A tool belt! A stinking tool belt! Don't ask me why. I just was. I just thought it was the coolest thing that if I ever need to fix something around the house, I can strap that bad boy on my hip and be able to access my tools in a jiffy.

Then I thought to myself "hmm maybe I can carry around a multi tool. It has all the tools I need with a blade. What's this thing called? Leatherman? Ok Leatherman looks legit ill buy me a Wave. So I started carrying it.

"Darn this is too heavy to carry around. I want to be able to carry a knife for quick draw. Ok maybe I'll buy a knife and a mini multi tool instead."

Enter the world of EDC. One YouTube video after another, countless hours of watching and learning. I've learned what to carry, what not to carry. I learned about the different knife brands, the different steels, the different blade grinds. The different SAKs, the different multi tools. The different flashlights, the different items that go on your keychain. It was so fascinating! Yet, the possibilities of the types of tools on a given situation intrigued me.

I was hooked. And I went broke. Haha. I bought leathermans, I bought Sogs, Kershaws, Spydercos, benchmades, pill fobs for aspirin, resqme, a whistle, victorinox, streamlights, and a bikini wallet. I learned about concealed carry weapons such rugers, sigs, kel tec, glocks. All kinds of things! It's amazing how things appear, then disappear in your life, then reappears again without knowing it was even there the whole time. My love for tactical gear and survival gear was there the whole time. Maybe it was the exposure at a young age that got me into this. Who knows? Maybe becoming a father of two boys made me become not only a provider, but a protector as well, and that by having the tools I have on me can be so :censored: beneficial at a given situation that I don't know how I lived without them for so long!

I get such a huge smile on my face when I come across something where I need to use my tools. "Hmm..I need a screwdriver for this. Wait I have my victorinox!! I need scissors to cut this label. Wait I have my victorinox !" I need something to cut these zip ties. I got a knife! I need to look under the couch but I can't see. "Let me bust out my streamlight!" It's truly amazing how something simple of an item can be so convenient, sufficient, and life changing.

I know the definition of EDC varies between person to person but to me, EDC means to be prepared for life's unpredictable moments that constantly change in a blink of an eye, and having the right tool on you can make a huge difference on an outcome.

I can't imagine not having a flashlight and a whistle on my keychain. What if I'm stuck in a collapsed bldg and I need a light to see my way and a whistle or to be heard from underneath the rubble? What if I plunge into a body of water and my doors won't open and my windows are up? My ResQMe window breaker and seat belt cutter is on my person. In this modern world, everything is packaged or in a container. And sometimes, having a blade on you can make things so easy to open.

So like I said, these little gadgets to me sometimes or could be, the difference between life and death. And as a Father and a Husband, I not only need to provide, but I need to protect. And ill be damned if anyone or anything comes even close to harming my family.

I'm planning to pass on one of my philosophies of preparedness and self-sufficiency in the form of EDC to my two boys. I'll be giving them each a SAK only when I know they're ready. And I hope they do the same to my grand kids.

Thank you for having me and I look forward to more knowledge and friendship through this forum.

(EDC pic coming soon as soon as my sage comes in :) )

2. gibbsrule9
    • Memoria in Aeterna
    • In Omnia Paratus

gibbsrule9 Memoria in Aeterna

3. MedusaOblongata

MedusaOblongata Loaded Pockets

4. billybag
    • In Omnia Paratus

billybag Loaded Pockets

5. enki_ck

enki_ck Loaded Pockets

Great intro post! I never thought that I got into EDCing. I was EDCing my whole life. This place only gave a name to it, and made me get some better quallity tools.

ac7ss and coolerking like this.
  6. Southpaw

Southpaw EDC Junkie!!!!!

That's awesome. I feel like such a blak sheep as I do not know anyone and I mean anyone that edc's

7. Fukurai
    • In Omnia Paratus

Fukurai EDC Junkie!!!!!

Welcome, you'll see, you'll need even more and cooler stuff after lurking around a bit...;)

8. Southpaw

Southpaw EDC Junkie!!!!!

9. Southpaw

Southpaw EDC Junkie!!!!!

10. mooshi
    • In Omnia Paratus

mooshi Loaded Pockets

Holy cow! That was one heck of an introduction. :p It was a great read and I would like to welcome you to our forum family. :)
    Cheers! :D

11. e2dwml

e2dwml Loaded Pockets

Like Moo said, "one heck of an introduction!" Glad you're here. I look forward to seeing your up and coming pictures. I think it's great you're passing along your beliefs and ideas to your children. My father was an EDCer. He didn't get the opportunity to teach me a whole lot since my parents divorced when I was little but I remember he always had a pocket knife. And when I was 8 I got my first pocket knife. EDCing took off from there for me but I never really knew what it was until much later in life. Anyway, enough about me, just wanted to say I think it's GREAT you teaching your kids something that is important to you and they can take that with them through life. :D

12. Azwaiian
    • In Omnia Paratus

Azwaiian Loaded Pockets

Great read and Welcome to the Forum.

13. Southpaw

Southpaw EDC Junkie!!!!!

[​IMG]

Hey guys as promised here is a pic if my current EDC.

iPhone 4S Phone

Spyderco Sage knife

G-Shock DW9052 Watch

LA Bikini Wallet from CountyConm

Bbqbuy@7w 300lm Cree Flashlight
    (Soon to be replaced by Streamlight microstream)

Pilot G2 Pen

Keychain:
    Victorinox Midnite Manager (built in backup light & pen)

Whistle by going gear

ResQMe

Chapstick

Pill fob (fits 6 aspirins)

Keys

Thanks for looking!

14. Southpaw

Southpaw EDC Junkie!!!!!

[​IMG]

Also these go in and out of my rotation.

The Tissot watch I wear on my days off.

The Gerber Bear Grylls mini multi tool I use at work.

Sanrenmu 710 - black & stainless steel here and there I carry.

jph0200 and mooshisho like this.
  15. Southpaw

Southpaw EDC Junkie!!!!!

[​IMG]

Closer look at the LA Bikini Wallet

16. Southpaw

Southpaw EDC Junkie!!!!!

[​IMG]

I love that it's so thin!

17. Blade9876
    • In Omnia Paratus

Blade9876 Loaded Pockets

Welcome to the forum...great intro. Im sure you will find lots of great ideas here.

18. Southpaw

Southpaw EDC Junkie!!!!!

[​IMG]

Ray Ban New Wayfarer in Tortoise G-16 lens.

6_String_Jams likes this.
  19. misterS
    • In Omnia Paratus

misterS EDC Junkie!!!!!

thanks for sharing your experiences with all this edc stuff. I'm a recent convert...a few months in as well. I didn't see this coming, but now I'm hooked!:) Welcome!

20. CanvasNBrass

CanvasNBrass Loaded Pockets

Welcome aboard.

Southpaw1925 likes this.