1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

A question about the straps you prefer

Discussion in 'EDC Bags' started by Al_G19, Jun 27, 2010.

1. Al_G19

Al_G19 Loaded Pockets

I don't know if this has been asked before, but since you all seem of a like mind..oddly just like me...

My question is on you EDC bags do you prefer one shoulder strap or two?

I have tried a lot of single strap bags, as I really like them, but I can never get used to the way they ride. I find my self constantly switching back to a standard two strap backpack, but for the most part I only use one strap to carry it...I still can't figure out if it's mostly having the option of backpack carry, or just the way the bag is laid out in relation to the strap attachment.

Maybe I am just overthinking this, but for some unknown reason......I do really enjoy this messing about....the search for the "Grail" bag!

Any comments would be greatly appreciated...

2. marsos52

marsos52 Loaded Pockets

i use a backpack when i need my edc and have extra room...i like the option of the two straps too...i admit that 70 percent of the time i use just one strap over one shoulder.. i may in the future try a remora ,,,for now its on the backburner

3. ironmike86

ironmike86 Loaded Pockets

2 straps. For a short distance I carry my pack on one. But if I'm going to walk far I prefer 2 for comfort

4. RickBlane

RickBlane Banned

1 on a edc mostly empty bag. I like room for the stuff I find along the way.

5. P35

P35 Loaded Pockets

one strap, my bag is carried mostly to and from a vehicle

6. dowtech

dowtech Loaded Pockets

I have a Fatboy, a Colossus, a NeatFreak, and a Proteus, but for serious EDC (the stuff I carry back and forth to work and for any other more-than-casual travel) I prefer my Falcon II, even if I carry it by a single strap most of the time. Because it's also my Go Home Bag, I want the option of carrying its heavier weight by both straps, plus the waist belt and sternum strap.

7. MikeM

MikeM Loaded Pockets

Definitely two straps.......that allows for traditional back pack carry and the option to sling it over a shoulder using only one.

Mike

8. yugotprblms

yugotprblms Loaded Pockets

The idea of the single strap is nice, but with two straps you an use a proper weight distribution system to make the ride easier.

9. saniterra

saniterra Loaded Pockets

For EDC carry, I prefer the one strap. Accordingly, all my edc bags - large Timkuk2 classic messenger, Timbuk2 Blogger, 5.11 Sidetrip, extra large Saddleback Leather briefcase - have just one strap (although the Saddleback has the option of rigger the extra long strap for backpack style carry). I like to be able to carry my bags in nearly the same position as a backpack, then being able to swing it around front to access the contents without taking it off. Granted, a full loadout can get tiresome on one shoulder.

10. robertrock

robertrock Loaded Pockets

Two straps and a grab handle works for me. Tried the single strap Lunada, didn't like it.

11. Al_G19

Al_G19 Loaded Pockets

Thanks Guy's for the feedback, I was always curious how others felt about this. I know the question does not have much depth, but sometimes you just wonder how others feel..., and just never feel like asking in public...

Later...

12. marsos52

marsos52 Loaded Pockets

im surprised with the reponses ....i thought most would say a single strap...because it seems gearslinger and versipack bags get more love here than backpack styles.. and also because backpack styles are generally bigger...

its all good and like they say live and learn.....

13. Al_G19

Al_G19 Loaded Pockets

I know I sure have went through a bunch of different single strap bags, trying to like them, but could never get used to them. I always figure if I ever really do need to use my bag I am going to be doing some walking and would rather have my hands, and my front area free to move, plus I figure it's always been a lot more comfortable to carry a backpack as opposed to a shoulder bag.

14. ACHË

ACHË Loaded Pockets

I like them both, or better yet all three of them! ....but it all depends on the type of use it will be getting and the weight.

My overall preferred method is the single strap gearslinger...for the type of gear I use, it's the best of both worlds...but it's not always the ideal method.

If i'm going to be doing a lot of walking with a heavy load (over 8 lbs.) then I'll go straight for a two strap backpack.

Many times I find the versipack just as convenient; especially for short walks with little weight.

If my day will be: home~car~buddy's house~car~back home, and I'm hardly going to be doing any walking at all, then sometimes I'll take a versipack.

15. Al_G19

Al_G19 Loaded Pockets

That would be nice to find a bag that I liked overall, and had the option of either a single or dual strap set up via QR buckles, I have seen ones like that, but usually the quality of the straps are really poor. I would be willing to pay more if it was quality, and had a good attachment system.

16. ironmike86

ironmike86 Loaded Pockets

How much do you plan on carrying?

17. Al_G19

Al_G19 Loaded Pockets

I don't know about the weight, I just was thinking that with interchangeable straps, you could adjust the contents to your needs, and be able to keep the same main bag set up.....if that makes sense.

18. Steverino

Steverino Loaded Pockets

19. Al_G19

Al_G19 Loaded Pockets

Thanks Bud!
    great video, and a solid idea! I have a similar pack........I think I'm gonna try something! A sincere thanks for the heads up and the link!

Later,
    Al

20. Steverino

Steverino Loaded Pockets

sure thing mate!

Make sure you post your findings!