1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

A Question About The Gerber Dime

Discussion in 'Knives' started by KentuckyRock17, Sep 29, 2014.

1. KentuckyRock17
    • In Omnia Paratus

KentuckyRock17 Uber Prepared

For all those who have owned it. What do you think of it?

I was going to get it, but backed out when I noticed it was made in China. I'm looking into the Leatherman equivalent at the moment, can't remember the name at the moment, but it's far more expensive. But for, undoubtedly, better quality.

So, would you recommend the Gerber Dime?

2. r2_.d2

r2_.d2 Loaded Pockets

I would not recommend the Dime. If you are going to use it often it will just end up falling apart on you. I picked one up at bass pro for $20 and I ended up bending the whole tool (the whole thing would not close it was so bent) while trying to cut some wire. I picked up a Leatherman wingman at TSC for $25. I have had it for about a year and use it heavily with out a single problem. I love the wingman and it has been on my belt ever since.

3. tmedina

tmedina EDC Junkie!!!!!

Careful R2 - I think you just...dropped a Dime.

Epilektos, ramjet, Grinch and 3 others like this.
  4. r2_.d2

r2_.d2 Loaded Pockets

Lol yea at least it was a gift card so i didn't spend any money on it

5. X-Roop

X-Roop Loaded Pockets

I have one. It is okay for very light work. The blade is good. The clam shell opener is also nice as is the bottle opener. The sissors are very dull however. Alos as mentioned above, cutting wire with this will likely bend the pliers if you attempt to cut a real large wire gague, However it was given to me as a gift so I carry it. Would I pay $20 for it? No.

pathwinder14 likes this.
  6. Foster
    • In Omnia Paratus

Foster Loaded Pockets

I've had one and I also can't recommend it. I got the black coated one, and it was so stiff I couldn't get most of the tools out without chipping my nails, which I keep short. It also wasn't great materials-wise, the tools being quite soft steel. I liked the clamshell opener (once I got it opened), and the bottle opener is the best design I've seen on a multitool that small, but the cons way outweigh the pros. If you do get one make sure it's one that doesn't have the black coating.

Go with the leatherman squirt if you want a multitool that size. I've had mine for about a year now and carry it every day, couldn't be happier with it.

7. Domain

Domain Loaded Pockets

I have both. Leatherman Squirt (or even style cs/ps) is superior in my eyes to the Gerber. Tools deploy easier, and I feel the quality of materials is higher. The fixed bottle opener on the Dime, which i thought was a great idea, made the tool annoying to carry and always caused carry discomfort.

newman252 likes this.
  8. MJGEGB

MJGEGB Loaded Pockets

I don't own Dime, but my Leatherman Squirt PS4 is coming up on 5 years in my pocket. The knife blade is crap but the rest is gravy. Also I don't hesitate to cut heavy gauge wire with the pliers.

Mr Thriven likes this.
  9. Nate.barker37

Nate.barker37 Loaded Pockets

I owned one. The tools were too stiff to get out. I didn't like the shape of the blade either. After a few days of use, the tool had a decent amount of scratches on it. My favorite thing about it was that it had a great pair of scissors. I agree with Foster. A Leatherman Squirt is worth the extra couple dollars.

10. lpd226

lpd226 Loaded Pockets

I will say you get what you pay for. I think I paid about 20 for mine and I only bought it because I had a giftcard. For light duty I think it's just fine but if you're gonna be using it daily and hard go with something a little better quality.

11. Grinch

Grinch Banned

I have the black version Gerber dime as well . I carried it for a while until I was tired of the stiffness of the tools being deployed . no matter what I tried to free up the tools it stayed the same . the only thing I liked was the scissors everything else was complete garbage after extended use . when I purchased my leatherman sidekick I threw the dime in the trash can my leatherman has met all my daily tasks since then . don't buy the Gerber I would recommend the leatherman ps4 and other key chain size leathermans .

12. KentuckyRock17
    • In Omnia Paratus

KentuckyRock17 Uber Prepared

Well, I've got to say that I'm glad that I asked this question. It would appear as though the Dime's a piece of trash. Can we keep hearing you criticisms of the Dime?

13. masofnos

masofnos EDC Junkie!!!

I got my dime from eBay for a few dollars, so glad I didn't pay full price for it! Lol mine is hard to get the tools out of it, I stopped using it after about a week and went back to my leatherman cs. Would never pay $20 for it

14. pathwinder14

pathwinder14 Loaded Pockets

I have one. I actually like it. I don't cut wire with it. The tweezers, bottle opener, knife, clams shell opener, pliers, and scissors are great. The scissors are a bit dull. The key ring mount gets in the way of the file, so you have to half extend the file to adequately use it. They should have turned the flat head screwdriver into a long phillips with a file because the clam shell opener can be used as a flat head screwdriver.

15. alexvpaq

alexvpaq Loaded Pockets

Got one for my girlfriend and we actually regret it. She should have got something else.
    Goods: scissors, blade is nice, very compact design, nice package opener.
    Bad: c'mon half an inch long file that actually is too shallow to sand anything, many tools are too short. There was a dent out of the box in the plyer. Tools are sometimes very hard to take out which is silly, my girlfriend can't always use it because of that.

16. newman252

newman252 Loaded Pockets

I have a black one and carry it daily. Like others said the finish has come off of mine. The tools were hard to open until I loosened the screws. No problems now.

With the dime you have to keep in mind it is basically a micro tool. Very small and not noticeable in the pocket. It will not complete large tasks. In a pinch it's my favorite micro tool. If I was doing tasks on a regular basis I would carry something a lot more robust. I've cut speaker wire with it with no problems. The knife is OK but I always carry a folder. The screw drivers work good but are short. The pliers will not last long if you are crimping. But for grabbing and holding something, they are fine. The box cutter is great wish more tools had this. The scissors are junk unless you like making 1/4" cuts on nothing more than paper. I am however annoyed by the bottle opener. Although sturdy, it just protrudes too and does sometimes jab at my leg through my pocket. Plus it gets it the way of the file unless you open the tool. The file is already pretty useless due to size.

As long as you don't expect to do too much it will serve you well. You just have to be realistic about its size and capabilities. Kinda like you wouldn't haul a bunch of boulders in a Mini Cooper. If your planning on hauling boulders you'd have a truck. I hope.

That is why I do have a Leatherman in my EDC bag. For those bigger jobs. But when away from my bag and in a pinch the Dime works just fine for me. It all comes down to your lifestyle and how much you would use it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pathwinder14 likes this.
  17. Bulldog87

Bulldog87 Loaded Pockets

Spend a few dollars more and buy the leatherman wingman. It's amazing, cheap and it works every time.

r2_.d2 likes this.
  18. Doc18

Doc18 Loaded Pockets

Well to look at it from a positive light, I currently own one and use it probably every day. I commonly use the Phillips flathead and the letter opener the most(typically to open dip cans). I lend it out to a lot of people who then tell me how useful that little tool is. I have mine connected to my D2 which for me works very well. I actually just bought a second one that I got in the mail about a week ago after I broke one of the screws off prying with the flat head. Keep in mind I'm in a field that tends to require daily use multitools. I just don't like large framed MTs. The scissors aren't as good as a Vic SAKs are. But they work for paper and thin plastics like on packaging for knives and such. And it still has a small blade which I never use but I loaned to people who weren't as prepared as I am and needed a knife. Which was another good use. Saved my blade. I would go so far as to say the best use of it. That being said my first one lasted a good year or more before I need to replace or fix it. The pliers aren't a full size ease of use but they worked for 90% of the tasks that would have required a full plier based MT to get done. The paint chips instead of wears in some spots but it still gets that look that you want in commonly used tools. For me it comes down to less is more. I have a SAK swisschamp and a Leathermen MUT but I carry neither by choice because my Dime gets the job done. It's functional and you'll never notice it until you need it. I've had 2 friends get it after I loaned mine to them.
    [​IMG]
    ^attention grabber.
    In closing, the pro of having the dime is it is cheap and plier based, has a lot of tools in a very small package(small enough to not be cumbersome on a keychain and cheap enough to be able to replace easier then using or worrying about a warrenty, my biggest happy point I have found in it is that it has a blade for when other people want to use my knife and all I have is my 200$+ knife on me.

dcmassena and newman252 like this.
  19. thekapow

thekapow EDC Junkie!!!!!

Also the Leatherman Micra is a very good alternative :) have had mine for years and its still going very strong

Quantum likes this.
  20. Freman

Freman Loaded Pockets

I carry the Leatherman Squirt PS4. I think it's more reliable for not too much more money.

On eBay it's less than $10NZ difference.

The Gerber Shard is a very good little tool though.