1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

A Pocket For my Back Pocket

Discussion in 'Do-It-Yourself & Gear Modifications' started by MedusaOblongata, Jun 25, 2011.

1. MedusaOblongata

MedusaOblongata Loaded Pockets

In the latest modification of my always changing and upgrading gear and carry system saga, I've switched from a huge Maxpedition 5x7x2 to an M2 waistpack by moving a few items into this back pocket pocket I just made.

Pictured with the PD31, Knifeless Fuse, and CRKT Ripple I carry in it:
    [​IMG]

I could have made it tighter and more closely formed, but I wanted to leave it flexible enough to switch out gear when I want to. The flashlight slot will also hold my Nitecore IFE2, or any other light of similar size. The multi-tool slot is a hair too narrow for my Surge, but will fit the Supertool 300. The knife slot is too small for the 710, but will fit a 94X.

I made it 5"x5" so will fit in the back pocket of my pants, rounded the corners.
    As to comfort, that can't be comfortable to sit on, due to the shape of my butt and the way my pants fit me, the contents of my back pockets ride above my seat, so I'm not sitting on it.

I used stiffer leather for the backing and thinner leather for the front. It certainly won't win any beauty contests, but it works very well for me. I used a #0 leather punch for the holes and then just laced it with some strong thread.

Last edited by MedusaOblongata, Jun 27, 2017
    mrlysle likes this.
  2. CDavisJK

CDavisJK Loaded Pockets

Nice work. I thought about doing something similar for my front pocket to protect my gear from each other. But my jeans have different sized pockets, even within the same brand.

3. MedusaOblongata

If you make it to fit your smallest pocket, it will fit the larger ones too.

4. bushidomosquito

bushidomosquito Removed from forum.

I like this idea. I would like something of a pocket protector for my cargo pants pocket. I was thinking of kydex but maybe nylon would work better since everything in there has a pocket clip.

5. MedusaOblongata

The advantage of leather or nylon over kydex is that you can switch out items and they'll still fit; with kydex you can't. I also wanted the items to be fully covered by something soft so they wouldn't wear a hole in my pants pocket.