1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

A pen that prevents checkwashing...

Discussion in 'Pens, Pencils, Notebooks, and Notebook Covers' started by lawless, Aug 22, 2007.

1. pelco_ptz

pelco_ptz Empty Pockets

fisher makes a refill that uses similar ink...could also be handy for signing cc's and who knows what else.

the uniball ones are appproved by frank william abignail for those leo fans out there.

2. phill

phill Loaded Pockets

Im 25 and ive written approximately 10 cheques since i got my first proper account at 18. This is almost a self solving problem as transferring money through bank wire and debit is now the norm, but its interesting to hear its still a huge problem and an easy method of fraud even in this age.

3. ecom

ecom Empty Pockets

Since gel inks are pigment inks, I think any gel ink pen will have similar characteristics to the Uniball 207. Pigments are bits of minerals or metal compounds that get embedded in the fibers or stay on the surface of the paper. Because they are minerals, they are resistant to solvents. Is there something special about the 207 gel ink that separates it from others? Maybe the pigment particles are smaller so they can go deeper into the fibers? The gel is only a carrier of the pigments and when the ink dries, only the pigments remain.

Most pens are dye based so they are vulnerable to removal by solvents. Ball points and roller balls generally use dye based inks that are alcohol or water based. I'm not sure what fountain pens use.

I generally use a Dr Grip gel ink pen which is the same refill as the Pilot G2 but in a different holder. I prefer it to roller balls because the ink doesn't feather and over ball points because the color is bolder and writing is smoother.

4. rustypigeon

rustypigeon Empty Pockets

Here is an article on checkwashing with test of a few pens. The Pilot G2 did very well, along with the Uniball 207. This is good news for me since the G2 is my go-to pen. The Sharpie markers did the worst.

http://www.wsaw.com/home/headlines/9960841.html

5. PenRx

PenRx Loaded Pockets

why not use a fountain pen filled with Noodlers Eternal or Bulletproof ink.

The owner of Noodlers, Nathan Tardiff has a standing award of $1000 or maybe even $2000 now if you can remove the ink from paper (once the ink has dried) without damaging the paper. No one in 5 years has claimed the prize.

His inks are cellulose reactive and bond to the paper at a molecular level. The cannot be removed once dry.

Cheers,
    Sean

6. hardcider75

hardcider75 Loaded Pockets

I was lucky enough to get invited to a "seminar"(???) that was put on by the local PD in regards to identity theft. The US Secret Service were the main speakers at this event and they were nice enough to not only give us the didactic explanation but also demonstrate some of the techniques favored by crooks. I learned a rather harsh lesson that day...nothing is foolproof when it comes to crooks. Checkwashing is the least of your worries, because all a crook needs is the numbers off the bottom of the check and a computer and they're in business. Did you know that you can get a check printing kit at any office supply store?

7. JB in SC

JB in SC Loaded Pockets

Write as few checks as possible.

8. jp2515

jp2515 Loaded Pockets

Sage advice. I try to write as few checks as possible, even money orders. Mostly stick to cash and sometimes cards.

9. JonSidneyB
    • Administrator

JonSidneyB Uber Prepared
    Staff Member

I had the computer generated check thing happen to me probably about 3 years ago. I had to close the account.

10. JB in SC

JB in SC Loaded Pockets

One should freeze their credit. At least no new lines can be opened. It took me about 30 minutes...

We started using cash about ten years ago. I have only one utility that I have to pay via check. I pay some bills online or use a CC where allowed (points).

One of the leading fraud experts told me that sometimes it's just a roll of the dice.