1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

A necessary tool for your keychain?

Discussion in 'Keychain Tools' started by KAMM, Jun 16, 2012.

1. GADGET982

GADGET982 Loaded Pockets

I like the TEC Centipede and Inchworm. I have them both on my tool ring. If you are a rigger and work with small fittings etc, they could be useful. I find them handy for using as depth gages and also as probes as they are not very wide. I have used my more than I thought I would. Might be worth a look.

Edit: I think they are available in the forum store.

Cheers,

Gadget

Last edited by GADGET982, Jun 20, 2012
    KAMM likes this.
  2. larrupin

larrupin Loaded Pockets

Another plus 1 for Swiss tech utilikey. I have had the tiny phillips and flat blade driver s come in hand on many occasions. That and a key chain light are all i have besides keys, I already feel like it is too much and have it on s-biners so I can leave parts of my keys at home or in briefcase.

3. kd7dvd
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

kd7dvd EDC Junkie!!!!!

I lightened my keyring by ... taking off keys!

I usually take the local light rail to work and, in fact, drive little more than once a month. So anything related to the car went on keyring number 2 which lives in the house (where the car is) until I need the car. The main key was a 4" railroad spike in my pocket and I was glad to be rid of it. Now it's house key, mailbox key, work key, handcuff key (you never know) and leatherman squirt. And a TEC P-7 clip to keep the squirt from digging a hole in the bottom of the pocket.

4. vegassprky
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

vegassprky Loaded Circuits

kd so you're into things that require a handcuff key, very interesting............:)

EDCRVa likes this.
  5. wangzhongtao

wangzhongtao Empty Pockets

Actually,I think the most important thing on a keychain should be the keys,using which you gain access to different spots,don`t you think?:)

6. Canuck

Canuck Loaded Pockets

When I first came onto the EDC scene I had a huge pocket full of tools, I have now slimmed it down because I noticed I didn't really use all of them on a day to day basis so I deleted a few and have no regrets. I also keep my keys separate from my EDC fob. All I have now is leatherman squirt,copper maratac with spare AAA,titanium widgy bar with kydex sheath and that's it on the fob. I have my keys attached to a 3" widgy bar with paracord wrap with ti mini peanut lighter and silver gripper tweezers. That's it

7. beast

beast EDC Junkie

small nail clippers. lots of uses, especially if they have the file.

8. hatchetjack

hatchetjack EDC Junkie!!!!!

something with a bottle opener.

Cornholio2188 likes this.
  9. elkhills

elkhills Loaded Pockets

Love reading all the different thought processes, and looking up all the goodies I don't have yet ;)

For me no matter how stripped down minimalist I ever go I don't think I will ever get rid of some small flashlight and a pair of tweezers. Those 2 items get used far more than I would have ever thought.

Re. the beloved bottle opener: I have no need whatsoever; a skill I learned from my father, before my 10th birthday, was how to safely open a beer bottle w/ any pocket knife... in a moving vehicle too, but that's another story.

10. Inner Prop

Inner Prop Loaded Pockets

What about keeping documents on an SD card?

I've killed several flash drives and having one banging around on my keychain seems like trouble waiting to happen. I have a mini SD card on my phone and I use Dropbox for syncing so most of the docs I use daily are already there. Now that I'm thinking of it, I could keep an SD card with all that important family document stuff in my wallet.

I'm going to try separating my keys off the "tool-ring."

Is your whistle also a hand sanitizer?
    What is a tranny sharpie?

11. dmattaponi

dmattaponi Loaded Pockets

My keys are a little bulkier than I'd like. I carry 3 keys (2 vehicles and house key), a Fenix E05, and a Syderco Ladybug on my keyring. The flashlight has come in handy innumerable times, and I like the quick one-handed opening Spyderco on there in case I'd ever need it (otherwise, I'd carry a Vic Classic SD).

12. mooshi
    • In Omnia Paratus

mooshi Loaded Pockets

Oh, no. :p I believe originally, I had everything separated by commas before I switched to bullet points and missed it.

This is the Tranny Sharpie!

My keyring carry has changed drastically since that post though. :) Everything now goes on a Nite Ize SS Key Rack as well.

13. don Roberto

don Roberto Loaded Pockets

Absolutely! A Hurricane Katrina survivor has a great blog called "Listening to Katrina" (www.theplacewithnoname.com/katrina, IIRC) and he makes the case in great detail and no uncertain terms. Highly recommended!

14. SamHaLeKe

SamHaLeKe Loaded Pockets

For me personally on every keychain should be the tools I use every day: a sturdy and good light, knife, lighter, pen and tweezers!

f.e.:
    Light: Maratac AAA Rev.2/Photon Freedom Micro
    Knife: Spyderco Manbug/Ladybug
    Lighter: CountyComm Peanut-/Split Pea Lighter
    Pen : Valiant Concepts Keychain Pen/Inka Pen
    Tweezer: Uncle Bill's Sliver Gripper
    Multi-Tool: Leatherman Squirt PS4/Victorinox Manager

All classic/popular/sturdy tools that has proven it's reliability over the years ;-)

15. Cervantes

Cervantes Loaded Pockets

16. ncc123

ncc123 Loaded Pockets

I have the threaded cable keyring, and have never had it loosen on me in the 5 years i've been using it. A drop of nail polish on the threads will serve as low-strength thread locker however, if you feel you need it.

17. powerring
    • In Omnia Paratus

powerring Loaded Pockets

I ended up switching over to the Lucky Line Flex-o-loc keyring and haven't looked back. They look like the threaded versions (basically coated aircraft cable) but the clasp is really clever and has never come loose. It's my favorite keyring ever.

18. Cornholio2188

Cornholio2188 Loaded Pockets

Sliver grippers-plus even if you don't use them much they don't take up space-I however use them everyday to make sure I don't grow a caveman brow ;)

Also, folding nail clippers, streamlight microstream (very impressive), and any mini pry. I for one could def go for another Atwood (duh) or a DFK-never see these things when they go on sale :(

Oh-and the vic classic alox-super slim and always nice to have a pair of good scissors and an extra blade.

19. UrbanWarrior

UrbanWarrior Loaded Pockets

I don't have a single tool on my keys that I use everyday but I do keep some tools on my keys as peace of mind like my Fenix E05 and my mini nail clippers. I just recently added a Gerber Shard but that's it for keychain tools.

20. bquinlan

bquinlan Loaded Pockets

I had never thought to scan my ID, but it seems like a great idea. Thanks for the tip!