1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

a long overdue upgrade: M11R vs SC52

Discussion in 'Flashlights & Other Illumination Devices' started by grunch, May 31, 2013.

1. grunch

grunch Loaded Pockets

Hi all,

I haven't updated my primary EDC flashlight in about a year and a half (well, besides supplementing it with a Quantum DD...) and my old Nitecore EX11.2 just isn't doing it for me anymore. I have some of the problems that a lot of users have talked about - button pushes not registering or registering as a double-tap, etc. They never really bothered me too much until it came to lending the light out to friends who wanted to borrow it. The UI is a little bit complicated to explain to a first time user, but throw in the fact that sometimes it will drop down to the lowest output when you want to turn it off, or a push-hold won't register at all, or you'll try to turn it on but get strobe instead (the worst) and I have basically stopped carrying it at all. The QDD actually manages to suit most of my needs on an EDC basis and has the added bonus of being EXTREMELY intuitive to use to a new user ("twist it more to make it brighter") but I'm looking for something for those - admittedly few and far between - times when I need a solid wash of light for more than a few seconds. It's thunderstorm season, and power-outage season, so a primary source of light in a high-need situation is what I'm looking for now.

Doing lots of research, I've somewhat narrowed it down to the two lights in the title of the post. I know they're not really head-to-head competitors but I like them both for different reasons. I love the M11R's UI, which matches the "twist-twist more" simplicity of the QDD, but I don't absolutely love the form factor, and it feels lame in comparison to infinite variability. I know the RRT-01 somewhat answers those concerns, but it's pricey. The ZL gets a lot of lumens out of a much more attainable battery, has the USA-based company thing on its side, and seems to be pretty ubiquitous in this community. It doesn't have the same instinctive UI however and isn't as lendable to a friend for that reason. BUT: I submit to your knowledgeability, beloved EDCF, and would love to hear your thoughts on these two lights - which, I know, aren't really easily comparable to one another. Feel free to throw in another option in the up-to-$75 range!

2. WWW

WWW Loaded Pockets

Maybe it is a stupid question but have considered the V11R?

BigBear03 likes this.
  3. grunch

grunch Loaded Pockets

I hadn't seriously. It's a little more expensive, at least new, than I would really consider. But I do agree that it addresses the concerns I had with the M11R. Add it to the list, I suppose.

4. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

The SC52 interface is simple if you just tell people press once to turn on and hold to change levels then release when it gets the one you want.
    Turning it on in low can be confusing but no one really even thinks it will do that anyway when borrowing the light.

The biggest problem I have over and over with the ZL is getting it back from people!

I like the Peak Logan too and have 3 of them,2 with the QTC like the Quantum. They are very solid lights and mine will take any size cell from AA,AAA,123 which can be handy. They can be had in a variety of beam profile and tint and are just different than everything else out there.

I have not owned a SW yet so can not speak to them.

BigBear03 likes this.
  5. grunch

grunch Loaded Pockets

those Peak lights are very tempting! But also very confusing in terms of configuring just what you want. Is the Logan easily one-hand operable?

Looking more at the SC52 the user interface just seems so complicated! Especially comparing it to the selector ring and QTC lights. I know in practice it isn't a big deal but when you're sitting around watching youtube reviews and comparing specs things tend to snowball, you know? That's one of the torturous joys of online shopping.

6. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

The only Peak I have trouble using one handed is the SS model,I think the threads are just more tight?
    Otherwise no issue at all,I like the QTC a lot and you can get it very low if you need to.

I still don't understand how the ZL interface can be described as complicated?
    Handing someone the light they just press the button and get whichever level you selected already for high.
    If you want a lower setting then hold the button and let go when it gets the one you want,there are only 3 levels really unless you are setting it up and then you can select from a few different levels to be your set level.

Its a lot harder to talk about than to do.

7. Olly

Olly Loaded Pockets

Buy the v11r with the aa battery extender and that'll cover any concerns you have about battery availability...

8. grunch

grunch Loaded Pockets

No, the ZL interface definitely isn't complicated, besides in comparison to the QTC or selector ring lights. That's all I'm saying.

9. Syclone

Syclone Loaded Pockets

Jetbeam RRT01. :p

10. defuse kit

defuse kit Loaded Pockets

I carry a few lights. The SC52 rides in my left pocket and is my personal go to. But when :censored:, I have my trusty Surefire E2D in my backpack. Last word in reliability. Dead simple UI, no explanation needed. Srsly though, if people want to borrow a light, have a Streamlight Microstream handy. On. Off. Throws like crazy. Costs less than $20.

11. grunch

grunch Loaded Pockets

Don't get me wrong - the RRT-01 hits a lot of sweet spots for me! It's just hard to justify the $30 price difference from the M11R.

I think this is the solution! I'm feeling a little more Stylus Pro, but I definitely am on board with the philosophy. Especially because it's a philosophy that involves buying more lights!! :D

defuse kit likes this.
  12. will m
    • In Omnia Paratus

will m Loaded Pockets

Check out the Niteye eye10. Very similar to the RRT01 just a bit cheaper. And for what it's worth niteye is a sister company of jet beam.

13. Jaiofspam

Jaiofspam Loaded Pockets

i have the m11r, eye10, sc51 & recently sold a v10r

i can tell you i carry the m11r w/ AA extension more than any of the other lights mentioned. its a simple easy to use, allows me to use AA/14500/cr123/16340's and the only caveat is the thin flimsy pocket clip. its great to easily go from low, med, high just by further twisting the ring... no double or triple clicking to be confused with or being momentarily blinded to get to low if youre trying to use the light in a completely dark environment as i experienced with the zebralights. great edc light if thats what youre looking for.

[​IMG]

Syclone likes this.
  14. jmac30
    • In Omnia Paratus

jmac30 Loaded Pockets

I have the m11r and the v11r - both are great just found that the m11r when clipped into right hand front pocket would cut my hand when I tried to reach past it to get something else out. The clip is attached with screws so cannot be rotated - lanyard attachment point is the aimed at your hand when reaching past - could use a good chamfering and then a refinish. Doesn't happen with the v11 or the oilight ti baton I am carrying now. Ymmv good luck! P.S. also has a pre flash issue.
    [​IMG]

15. Jaiofspam

Jaiofspam Loaded Pockets

wow, my m11 has no sharp spots nor any preflash problems... sounds like you got a lemon.

16. grunch

grunch Loaded Pockets

I read somewhere that there is some sort of Mark II version of the M11R with a hidden sub-lumen moonlight mode? Is this just referring to the Sirius? Or is there some sort of upgraded version of the light out there (that I can't find references to on any dealer)

17. grunch

grunch Loaded Pockets

In case anyone was desperately waiting for an update....

Well, I decided to go with the SC52. In the end I was more interested in exploring the AA options (and holy cow I have opened a can of worms - I'm running a normal Lithium AA in there right now but am just scratching the surface of rechargeables and 14500s). I picked one up used in the B/S/T forum with no trouble at all and have been messing with it for a day now. My first impressions are thus:
    -I love, way more than I thought I would care about, the switch on the head. So much more natural to use while I'm holding the light normally.
    -With the sheer number of brightness options I have in the UI (I think a total of 7, not including the strobe which I don't use) I don't feel like I miss the infinite variability of the EX11.2. It's a little more complicated to get to any one specific level but it probably takes the same amount of time as ramping up and down on the nitecore, and I don't have the stupid annoying problems of phantom double-taps and sudden strobes or lockouts that I kept getting with the EX11.2.
    -The pocket clip is not really doing it for me - it rides a little too low and is a little too stiff. I'm running it just floating loose in the pocket right now and it isn't too big a deal. I never had a clip on the EX11.2 either and I don't really whip out the light enough times per day to necessitate instant access, so while the clip is a little bit disappointing, it's by no means a dealbreaker.
    -I totally love the design and form factor! It's like a little lightsaber!

Totally interested in hearing any and all of your thoughts and recommendations re:batteries. I don't own any rechargeables right now but it certainly seems like the way to go and if it's designed to take 14500s then I'd like to take advantage of that.

18. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

Well Congratulations on the new light,they are amazing for sure!

I just run Eneloops in mine mostly but have also had 14500 and Lithiums in it too,I have even put cursed Alkalines in there when I needed to,oh the shame!

For me the Eneloop is just so simple to use and maintain that they are my daily driver.

I have a Maha C9000 charger that takes good care of them and also a cheap Sanyo charger that I keep in the truck that does OK.
    I Have found the batteries themselves either at Costco or from Thomas Distributing where I got the Maha.
    They also show up in package deals on Amazon all the time so I have both AA and AAA charged and ready to go all the time.
    I also use them in Flashes so I have them labeled in sets of 4 and try to use a few sets only in flashlights but that does not always work.

The 14500 will give you a lot more brightness for a short time but thats not really what I need and they are a little trickier to maintain so....

Have fun

Ed

19. grunch

grunch Loaded Pockets

That's just the overview I needed of battery options! I think the standard rechargeable AAs are where it's at for me although a 14500 is tempting but probably not worth the investment for just one AA light.