1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

A Knife Story

Discussion in 'Knives' started by DCBman, Jan 22, 2022.

1. DCBman

DCBman Loaded Pockets

I've always loved knives. Don't know why, but there's just something about them which draws me to them.

As a young kid, I didn't have a lot of knives, but I had a couple I liked (one was your quintessential Boy Scout knife). Anyway, one day my Dad wanted to go buy a new pocket knife at the sporting goods store and took me along. He was just looking for your typical "pocket knife" like a stockman or the like.

We got up to the gun/knife counter and my gaze fixed on a SAK. I'd heard they were the end-all, be-all, of knives so I told him to get that one. It was bigger than what he wanted, but I kept urging him to get it, saying they were the greatest knives ever (I didn't know, but in my kid-mind they were). He begrudgingly bought the knife.

My Dad was a nut about sharpening knives (it's where I learned the craft of truly "sharpening" a knife). I think he sharpened this SAK more than he ever used or carried it. Getting a knife ULTRA-sharp was a hobby for him. Over the years he got other knives and I long since forgot about the SAK he bought that day.

Fast forward about 50 years; the other day I was going through a box of old knives I've held onto in my life. In the box was this SAK which I didn't recognize (I'm not a big SAK guy. They're okay, but it's just not my thing). I pulled this knife out and looked it over. For the life of me I couldn't remember how I ever came into possession of this knife. Then, slowly, I remembered this must have been the knife my Dad bought all those years ago. I made this determination after looking at the blade. It was exquisitely sharp, but the blade was seriously worn down from sharpening it. AH-HA!! The lightbulb came on!

As I sit here now and look at this knife, it appears to be a SAK "Officer" model by Victorinox (though I am no expert on SAK's by any means). On the main side it has a main blade (about 2" long), a small blade, a can opener (with small flat blade screw driver), and a bottle opener (with large flat blade screw driver. On the minor side it has a corkscrew, and an awl with a sharpened edge. (If anyone has info on what this knife may be, please share).

This isn't the first time I've come across a really old knife like this, under similar circumstances, but I thought it was really cool to find that after all this time.

Just thought I'd share, for whatever it's worth.

P.S. I have numerous boxes of old knives like this which contain probably hundreds of knives. I never had the heart to throw away a knife. Sometimes it's kind of fun to go through them and see what treasures I can find. There are times I've found a knife I have no idea where it came from or how I got it, but those are equally cool just because of the mystery and enigma of them.

That Movie Guy, dmattaponi and HarryD like this.
  2. kottskrapa

kottskrapa Loaded Pockets

Thanks for sharing. Sound like an old spartan, a really common sak but the value are in its history and your memories with your father

[It's not failure if you learn something from it]

DCBman likes this.
  3. MatBlack

MatBlack Loaded Pockets

Sakwiki.com

DCBman likes this.
  4. SwampDonkey

SwampDonkey Loaded Pockets

Cool story! I get it, each acquisition has a story/meaning. I still have my first real purchase when I was 16....Schrade old timer. Good memories...like the one you shared.

DCBman likes this.