1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

A knife of much controversy!

Discussion in 'Gear Reviews' started by Artifice, Jun 13, 2012.

1. willbilly

willbilly Loaded Pockets

In the cold and wet woods, getting to the dry heartwood of deadfall to make scrapings, shavings and feather sticks is key to fire making if all u have is a knife and a fire steel with no dry tinder. Need a blade to baton through wrist sized deadfall and good leverage to make thin shavings. The serration on the blade makes this more difficult.

riot likes this.
  2. doby34

doby34 Loaded Pockets

It looks like a modern version of the crap "survival knives" (complete with compass at the Butt) that first got me excited about camping and survival as a young boy. To that end alone, if it helps excite the next generation of blade enthusiasts, then I think. It has a place.

3. DBR

DBR Loaded Pockets

It's interesting how things change over the years. Everyone is a victim of their own experience. I am no exception to this rule either. That having been said, I've been around a lot of country people in my 45 years. My Dad had me late in life, he was born in 1925 and I was born right after his 43rd birthday. I'm just a little older right now than he was when I was born. I lost him early in life but I learned a lot from him.

I learned a lot from the guys that we went camping, fishing and hunting with. Guys that camped, hiked, hunted, trapped and fished from Maine, Pennsylvania, Maryland, West Virginia, Virginia and Kentucky mostly. The only time we "batoned" anything, it was a knife through the pelvis of a Whitetail Deer and that was done rather gently and a hatchet was preferred.

I was living down in Wise County, Virginia for almost a year back between 1986 and 1987 and I had a great time. I learned even more, you see. My sister was poor, her husband at the time was a logger and we used to hunt for Ginseng, pick blackberries and hunt...a lot. We would go up near one old strip mine and get five gallon buckets filled up over the rim with walnuts. Take them home and split them out of their hulls and let them dry out. You can use them green walnut hulls for something really interesting, too... ;)

We had a coal stove in the kitchen and a regular wood stove in the living room. We would go down on the "Four Lane" outside of Pound, Virginia, where I was living, and take the much-used five gallon plastic buckets and pick two weeks worth of coal in under an hour. Because of all of the mines in the area, the well water wasn't potable, it was sulphurous. You could bathe in it, if you fancied smelling the rotten egg smell, but you couldn't drink it. So, we had to go up to a natural spring and haul cleaned out one gallon milk jugs of water every few days.

I have actually worked in lumber yards when I was younger and that job is easier than the life I just described to you that many people lived back then and there are probably still people down there doing it. They will be up tomorrow picking up coal on the side of the road, clinkers, I heard someone else call them before.

I like fire. I'm not a pyromaniac and certainly not an arsonist but I have always been the one that had my hands in the fire. So, I had a coal stove and a wood stove to feed all winter and a brother in law who was a logger at the time. Score!

I have cut wood. I have split wood. Cured and not cured. And, for the life of me, when I see someone who is saying that you have to split cord wood or anything even remotely resembling it with a fixed blade or folding knife, knowing full well that I have watched much-admired people on YouTube giving good, solid knives a failing grade for wood that would make you curse out loud if you had a hatchet, I do not know and cannot even fathom the world that they grew up in where they learned such things.

Not really talking about you. Some people will know about the handful of people that I speak of. But if you are in danger of hypothermia and you are concerned about splitting cord wood or anything that looks like it, Natural Selection in the form of The Grim Reaper, might just be the best remedy for this sort of thing.

4. Cody_2ZZ

Cody_2ZZ Loaded Pockets

I'm surprised so many guys like the looks of this knife. I find it downright ugly. The only thing that would redeem it would be it's quality vs. its cost, and it seems to be pretty OK in that department from what I've seen. I'll pass on this knife.

5. SpyderPrepper

SpyderPrepper Loaded Pockets

I seriously wish I could print that in a poster size format!

6. DBR

DBR Loaded Pockets

I think it is non-knife people (despite their protestations to the contrary) who became knife people and quite frankly don't know enough to know what they don't know...that what they're doing looks goofy.

7. socaldavel

socaldavel Empty Pockets

LOVE this knife. I have the Mora Bushcraft Survival Black. Great, lightweight knife well suited for .. well.. just about anything. It's going to replace my oversized Ontario RAT 7 as my camp knife as this one can hold up well to batoning wood as well (provided the wood isn't too thick), creating tinder, starting fires (works great w/ the fire steel), etc. I don't keep this as my "EDC" knife, but it's usually close-by.

SAKplumber likes this.
  8. kdurt

kdurt Loaded Pockets

Picked the Bear Grills Ultimate survival knife up for my daughter last year for a summer camp that taught outdoor survival skills. She was in the ten to twelve age group. She loved it! She was the only one to get a fire going with the gear she brought. Yes the blade dulls easily but I taught her how to keep the edge usable with the integrated diamond stone. I think it is a great knife for youth learning outdoor skills.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

takai and Darth_Firebolt like this.
  9. Poecilia

Poecilia Empty Pockets

I am using gerber's paracord knife, so far it is holding up well. being stainless steel, it suits the humid enviroment which I carry it around.

10. subwoofer
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner

subwoofer Loaded Pockets

This knife is a case in point regarding today's marketing and media. The simple rule is to not believe anything they try to tell you.

Calling this knife the 'Ultimate Survival knife' is purely a marketing ploy and nothing else. If someone believes it, then they would never have bought a better knife in the first place, so if they do buy it, it is better than nothing.

I actually have chosen to buy one of these despite all the controversy and am happy to say that I really like it. I have also bought two of the 'compact' version.

The compacts are actually great little knives and good general users. The 'Ultimate' knife is also a perfectly serviceable user so is good value.

I have far more expensive knives which I can easily lay my hands on. If there was a disaster, my BOB has a couple of these much better knives in it. My general cutting requirements do not justify the everyday use of the expensive knives. In fact the knife I use the most is a folding utility knife with disposable blade.

This is a matter of finding the right tool for the job. What is a survival knife? It is the knife that you have with you if/when you find yourself in a survival situation. This might be a Victorinox Classic, or a machete but whatever it is, if your life depends on it, you won't be abusing it. If it was the only thing I had on me, I would happily use the BG Ultimate knife, and would look after it.

403Jeeping likes this.
  11. 403Jeeping

403Jeeping Loaded Pockets

I don't watch thw tv show, not even once, picked this knife up for $30 Canadian and i'm very pleased with it. Its comfortable to use on a regular basis, Ive been carrying this knife for a good year. I have other knives that are much nicer but for the $30 price tag this knife has been very useful.

Is it the ultimate survival knife....definitly not. ... what is ultimate that all depends on the person and and region hes to survive in.
    After a year of hard use in the Canadian mountains running duties like fishing hunting and campfire duties this knife has stood up to the Test of time for me.
    The color of the knife does play into factor as if dropped or misplaced it sticks out like a sore thumb in the bush. Ive dropped mine while out fishint and was able to find it on my return trip. Tacky or not its very visible.

The handle is a charm to hold when wet or cold during the winter when hands get cold and numb quickly this handle has what it takes to hold on to and preform the task at hand. The blade holds a nice edge with proper maintenance as well. And the hammer on the butt has never caused me any trouble.

Only real problems I've encounters were the plastic clips on the sheath that hold the knife clipped in broke off after repeated use in the winter months. But the case dose Velcro the knife by the but into the holster very nicely and gives quick access to it.

Also the fire starter rod falls out pretty easily from its holder.

All in all its a decent knife for the price. And seems like people are quick to judge based on a name brand they dislike with out first trying it. Over a year of heavy use and abuse and it still functions flawlessly.

IMO its a great entry level knife and for what I payed i'd do it again. Still rides on the back of my pack ready for more use.

12. masofnos

masofnos EDC Junkie!!!

I got this knife for a cheap botoning knife, and i've really given it a beating! but its still in one piece. I don't think i could put an expensive knife through the horrors of batoning.

403Jeeping likes this.
  13. Tony Sal

Tony Sal EDC Junkie!!!

...not the tIme to start a Show us your GerberBG thread ...

14. microbe

microbe EDC Junkie!!!!!

Experience cannot be bought

FL Woods Bum and survivorman like this.
  15. CSM-101
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

CSM-101 EDC Junkie!!!!!

Bah, the ultimate survival knife was perfected years ago...

:D

Stutz, thePlumbah and T.H.Cone like this.
  16. SAKplumber
    • In Omnia Paratus

SAKplumber EDC Junkie!!!!!

Technically, Rule 12 applies,(though I doubt teh 1-800# is any good anymore) but I didn't have the heart to remove such an excellamt, heart touching video...especially since the knife reminds me of my childhood. :rolleyes:

kd7dvd and CSM-101 like this.
  17. CSM-101
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

CSM-101 EDC Junkie!!!!!

:rofl: I didn't even think about the 800 number on the video... but you're probably right about it
    being dead. You know they are STILL making this thing? About three weeks ago I was talking to
    the owners of the army/navy store where I bought mine in the 80's (store's moved several times
    over the years) and she can get me one for the same $9.95 today. I'm thinking about buying
    one just for giggles. :giggle:

thePlumbah likes this.
  18. SAKplumber
    • In Omnia Paratus

SAKplumber EDC Junkie!!!!!

No doubt! Thats a knife we should all have in our collection. The Gateway knife! :D

CSM-101 likes this.
  19. vegassprky
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

vegassprky Loaded Circuits

Plus they still use the "but wait there's more" pitch to this day.

CSM-101 likes this.
  20. FL Woods Bum
    • In Omnia Paratus

FL Woods Bum Your Grace!

I miss that knife..

vegassprky likes this.