1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

A knife of much controversy!

Discussion in 'Gear Reviews' started by Artifice, Jun 13, 2012.

1. AkimboCarry

AkimboCarry Loaded Pockets

Quoted for truth and common sense!

Sent from an underground bunker

2. DBR

DBR Loaded Pockets

Thankya. :D

3. Carl Belcher

Carl Belcher Banned

Well small note the Gerber ultimate survival knife is neither 1/2" thick or carbon steel. Second I wouldn't pay the money for an LMF II, I thought they looked good until I saw a picture of their tang.

[​IMG]

$100 knife... Nope. Steer clear of Gerber.

Best value in a real survival knife, IMHO KA-Bar Becker BK2. Full Tang, Carbon Steel, 1/4" Thick Blabe.

EDIT:spelling

Last edited by Carl Belcher, Dec 15, 2013
  4. 0dBm

0dBm Loaded Pockets

Controversy is for those willing to drink the cool aide that a campaign pours into your empty cup of knowledge. Fill that cup yourself and you will find that what those campaigns frequently have in abundance is NOT the blood that fills your vessel of lifelong self-reliance but a fleeting puff of hot air that dissipates quickly.

I dismissed Gerber several years ago...

vegassprky and swany66675 like this.
  5. amacman
    • In Omnia Paratus

amacman Loaded Pockets

To me having a "grippy" handle on a knife AND a lanyard is silly and redundant. I prefer a smooth handle, if you're using it a lot, its less likely to cause hot spots/blisters. IF, I'm doing something where I'm worried about retention (i.e. working over water) then I'll use the lanyard to secure it.

6. z0mbiSl4y3r

z0mbiSl4y3r Loaded Pockets

Gerber went downhill years ago, and Bear Grylls is a proven sham... the fact that both of these hacks slapped their name together on crappy merch just goes to show how hacks just stick together. I'd honestly get an ESEE 4 for bush living if money was an issue, if money wasn't that big of a deal I'd go BRKT.

7. wrath0r
    • In Omnia Paratus

wrath0r EDC Junkie!!!

Given all the Gerber hate, does that mean I'd be killed if I slipped my Gerber Big Rock (used maybe once) into a pass-around box and ate up valuable space? :p

Darth_Firebolt likes this.
  8. 0dBm

0dBm Loaded Pockets

My disappointment with Gerber's chosen path of comparatively sub-standard product offerings is often construed as hate. In fact, those tools are capable of completing most tasks asked of them. The aftermath of those tasks is what elevates the quality tools above Gerber's budget offerings. That once-reputable company mired in financial loss the last ten years is trying its best to attain solvency by investing in what it feels can be profitable again by targeting a different market by alining itself with Bear Grylis' celebrity recognition. The strategy appears to be working. Sales has increased in the short term; however, the company's traditional following is apparently irked at the degradation of the quality that once was a hallmark.

9. me_john85

me_john85 Loaded Pockets

Its not my cup of tea, but if it gets people to start thinking about their equipment before heading out more power to Gerber.

kikaida likes this.
  10. SAKplumber
    • In Omnia Paratus

SAKplumber EDC Junkie!!!!!

This is one that I want...and a few others.

EndlessFields and vegassprky like this.
  11. takai

takai Loaded Pockets

Ill weigh in on this one. I have both the BG and an older LMF2. Up until recently i was using the LMF2 for teaching basic bushcraft skills to Year 9 and 10 kids (15-16yo), the majority of whom were private school kids with no real idea of how to use a knife apart from eating their steak. Anyway i basically switched to the BG rather than the LMF2 because i got sick of spending an hour every couple of weeks dealing with parents who had no idea about anything, but just saw a survival knife (in Foliage Green).

The BG is all sparkly and friendly, and they have heard of Bear Grylls on TV and despite it being exactly the same dimensions as the LMF2 i havent had a single parent whinge since switching to the BG.

Do i think its as good as the LMF2? Not at all, but it does the job. Would i call it the Ultimate Survival Knife? No, but i would call it the Ultimate Distraction Knife.

Chris97 likes this.
  12. twogunmojo

twogunmojo Banned

i remember when gerber was the esee of its day...the gerber coffin handles bowie or the gerber bmf survival system designed by brad parrish with blackie collins contributing...

oh how the might have fallen...

13. riot

riot Loaded Pockets

The only two Gerber products I still own are a 10+ years old MP600 multitool and a Gerber Parang. They both get the job done around the house. When heading into the bush I carry my ESEE-3 and my ESEE Junglas.

Sent from my HTC Droid DNA using Tapatalk!

14. Carl Belcher

Carl Belcher Banned

I've never had much issue with Gerber multi-tools but some people have had mixed experiences. As for the Parang make sure the one you have isn't one of the recalled models. A large number of the Bear Grylls machetes were recalled for breaking apart at the handle.

15. kd7dvd
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

kd7dvd EDC Junkie!!!!!

You say, "I don't understand. Don't you care about your kids? Don't you want them to survive a disaster? I mean, you clearly won't be able to protect your kids, being scared of a simple knife like that. I just hope they never have to protect you! You'd be all 'Put that knife down, Junior,' and they'd be all, 'Aw, Mom, you said you were hungry, let me finish butchering this rabbit so we can eat, OK?'"

16. microbe

microbe EDC Junkie!!!!!

I am sure this knife has its qualities, and there is a plain edge version available. But as it is stated above, everybody has to make up what they want from a survival knife. I fully trust my Spanish Cudeman MT1 for any survival situation. If my key would break in the door lock, I could easy use it to whack trough it a la Jack Nicholson "axe style" in the shining. Heeere's Johnny!

Nick4305 likes this.
  17. takai

takai Loaded Pockets

Yeah, but there is a difference between teaching the kids, and listening to the whinging of the parents. If the flouro orange and the BG name is enough to stop the whinging then its more peace and quiet for me. Kids still get to learn the basics either way.

Darth_Firebolt likes this.
  18. CUTLERY_KID

CUTLERY_KID Loaded Pockets

My personal woods knife, and current favorite fixed blade, is my SK5 blackbird by Ontario Knife CO. For $100, you get micarta, a decent molle sheath, and a 0.13 thick piece of 154cm. It's a great knife, razor sharp outta the box, and the spine of the knife is squared off to strike fire steels. I bought a kydex sheath for mine and ranger banded a Scout Firesteel to the sheath. For me, its the best woods knife out there for under $150. The only useful, quality piece of gear from the BG line imho is the BG basic survival kit, the one in the orange pouch. If you can get it for under $20, you got a good deal. The rest of the BG stuff is cr@p in my opinion. Just my 2 cents

19. riot

riot Loaded Pockets

The older Gerber multitools were excellent, the new ones, not so much. My old MP600 (10+ years) is still kicking, I have a newer one (less than 2 years old) that has just about fallen apart.

The first Parang I had was sent back during the recall. Surprising too as I had used it quite a bit with no problems. But I figured if they were going to send me a new one I might as well take advantage of it!

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk

20. OEM1

OEM1 Loaded Pockets

First off its a Gerber which in my experiences makes it garbage. Second of all I wouldn't buy anything with that guys name attached to it. If you know anything about survival and have seen his show then you know how fast you'd get Killed following his advice.

It's a gimmicky type of knife if you ask me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free