1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

A knife of much controversy!

Discussion in 'Gear Reviews' started by Artifice, Jun 13, 2012.

1. sungame

sungame Loaded Pockets

I have not tried this knife, but I have handled it in a shop. Of course, that does not give me nearly enough knowledge to write a review, or to second guess one written by someone else. However, I learned enough from it to know that even though you can get this knife for cheap here in Norway too, it is still not cheap enough for me to buy one. Here's why:

• Although I like the overall form factor, the size is wrong for "the ultimate survival knife". For me, a survival knife is one of two things: Either a largish folder that can be carried everywhere as a backup or for when the manure hits the ventilation equipment, or a big, heavy duty fixed blade that can handle everything you might run into in a real survival situation in the woods. This knife is far too big to fit in the first category, and I find it on the small side for the latter (I prefer about six inches of blade for a real woodland camp or survival knife).
    • The blade seems a bit thin.
    • I am not convinced about the steel quality.
    • Even though serrations have their benefits, I prefer a plain edge blade, both because it is more versatile, and because serrations are very hard to sharpen in the field.
    • OK, this might seem like a minor detail, but on a heavy duty knife, I would prefer a finger stop/cross guard made from stainless steel or perhaps thick brass. For proper, careful knife use, this will probably not matter a bit. However, if you (ab)use the knife for hacking, chopping, batonning and other heavy tasks you might have to use a survival knife for, i expect that a protruding piece of plastic like that might get messed up. It probably won't break, but it could still be roughed up enough to make it uncomfortable to handle.
    Since I have not tried this knife, I will not state that it is a bad knife. It is probably OK, and for all I know, it could surprise me and turn out great. I just don't know, since I have never tried it. However, I feel pretty certain that this is not the ultimate survival knife. At least not for me.

EDIT: I forgot to thank the OP for taking the time (and spending the money) for testing and reviewing this knife. Of course, nothing beats hands on experience with a product, but a good review is a close second. Thank you, artifice!

Kinzei likes this.
  2. nosferatu

nosferatu Empty Pockets

I just don't see the attraction to this knife. It was built to a price point, but unfortunately this is a fairly crowded market already. There are several good knives in the $50 range to even consider this. Any of the Ka-Bar Marine Combat knives, for example, can be had for around $50 and offer a variety of sizes, blades and sheaths and of decent steel.

I'm sure my opinion is also biased since I'm not a fan of Bear Grylls' TV show, but I just see this knife as a chance to enhance his bank account and celebrity status rather than providing a useful tool to the people.

Kinzei and AnthonySC like this.
  3. mole

mole EDC Junkie!!!!!

you hit the point. this is just brand marketing. some of us would survive with this as a tool, some of us would survive with a fancyschmancy-handforged-apocalypse-lasersword, some of us would possibly need a sharp rock and nothing else. dont´t depend on the marketing blahblah. go learn something in the wild. learn it from youtube if you want. but learn in real nature, not just sitting on your desk in front of your notebook thinking "wooohaaah". just do it.

wildborego likes this.
  4. Philippe C.

Philippe C. Loaded Pockets

What I have found is that there are different philosophies regarding survival knives, my own is a larger plain edge that is at least 1/4" thick and has a blade length of at least 9". Everyone has different needs when it comes to survival/outdoor blades. I am looking at a few right now to fit the survival/outdoor roles one is a custom and the others are the Buck Hoodlum and the Buck Punk both of which are Ron Wood designs. I carry in my kit fire starting equipment as well as signalling equipment and enough gear to make a marine blush

kikaida and sungame like this.
  5. DBR

DBR Loaded Pockets

That would be Ron Hood. Ron Wood is the Bassist for The Rolling Stones. ;)

6. Philippe C.

Philippe C. Loaded Pockets

opps sorry had a major league brain fart there or I was listen to some rolling stones when I wrote that. Or I am just a little brain dead when it comes to names of designers of edged implements

Tony Sal likes this.
  7. DBR

DBR Loaded Pockets

Cerebral flatulence is entirely understandable. I get a bit gassy in the brainpain at times as well. ;)

kd7dvd likes this.
  8. Ogre

Ogre Banned

i almost bought this knife a while back but a quick google from my phone in the store yielded and alarming amount of negative reviews. glad i checked first!

9. AeroNautiCal

AeroNautiCal Loaded Pockets

I am heartened to see that others have posted in a similar vein of what I wanted to say, which is that I really would choose a Mora, (any Mora) over this BG knife, be it for learning/enhancing outdoor skills or as a main carry tool I could rely on.

10. Senserazer

Senserazer Loaded Pockets

DO anyone know of a european dealer (webshop) who sells the Morakniv Companion Heavy Duty in carbon steel? Or just the carbon steel companion in general?

11. tower
    • In Omnia Paratus

tower Loaded Pockets

It's the "Ultimate Survival Knife" because with all the hype, it ensures Grylls' ultimate financial survival!

12. amdmaxx

amdmaxx Loaded Pockets

This ultimate survivor gerber knife is a joke. More of a marketing ploy.

I'd much rather have ESEE-5 or Busse NFMSH (5/16th thickness and 9 inches of great steel!) or Ferman or winkler or Crusader Forge.. All those knifes are over $100 or way over $100 but my money those will last much longer and take far more abuse in the wild batooning/cutting/sawing/throwing/etc.

13. wildborego

wildborego EDC Junkie!!!!!

Bravo!!!!

Well said.

14. Cornholio2188

Cornholio2188 Loaded Pockets

It definitely looks better than most of his tools...

15. Bama Joe

Bama Joe Empty Pockets

I own several knives including this fixed blade and the larger folder. I have no problems with it being marketed as the "Ultimate" any more than certain cars or mops or fill in the blank are called something similar. Is this my "survival blade"? No but it would work if it were all I had access to. Most people will never need anything more than a decent knife for camping and such and this product works just fine for that.

This knife/package as it includes a integrated sharpner, usable hammer on the pommel( early model issues have been resolved) and a fire starter along with some basic survival instructions, and was never intended to compete with ESEE or Becker, etc. and is merely filling a niche and doing it quite well, IMO. Also Gerber now offers a plain edge version as well.

Les Stroud now has his own line of "survival" knives made by Camillus using 440A steel with the same price point. Again these products are not aimed at serious survivalists or adventurers but weekend campers and Boy Scouts and such. :)

kikaida likes this.
  16. JPHing

JPHing Loaded Pockets

Ditto on Esee by DBR

It's the user, his brain and the quality of the knife materials (to a degree) that makes a knife the "ultimate survival knife".
    Not some cheap @$$ bling and corny marketing

17. Bobby Pin Ninja

Bobby Pin Ninja Loaded Pockets

Well, this has been kicked around quite a bit, but here's my $0.02. If we're talking about an "ultimate" survival knife, something that would last you three months in the wilderness or seething crazy like that, then it probably needs to say ESEE on the blade. As for me, for the more likely unexpected night or two in the woods, I would take a $15 Mora over a $50 Gerber any day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SAKplumber likes this.
  18. Xiii
    • In Omnia Paratus

Xiii Loaded Pockets

great review. i used to have one of these knives did what i used it for mostly a camp utility knife. Good knife no complaints. I just dont think its the best survival knife, its good but not the best.
    Xiii

19. SpyderPrepper

SpyderPrepper Loaded Pockets

I own both this and the LMF2 and guess what? Since Gerber changed the LMF2 to 420HC instead of the old sandvik, the LMF2 is not worth the extra cost. I prefer my beat up and abused BG to my LMF2 (here comes the flames haha...). Is it a Busse or ESEE? Absolutely not. But it cracks me up when people say don't buy the BG and spend the extra on the LMF2. Fact is, the ergonomics, weight, and features of this knife make it equal to or superior to the LMF2 (at least the current gen ones). Is it an ugly knife? Yup, almost as ugly as they come, but this is true of Mora's as well.

Would I stake my life on it? Absolutely not. But for a day excursion/light camping knife it is excellent. There is a lot of hate for this knife from a lot of people who have never actually used it. Rather, internet "knife experts" think its a bad knife because it says Bear Grylls on it.

403Jeeping likes this.
  20. graham_s
    • In Omnia Paratus

graham_s Loaded Pockets

I've got one of the 2nd Gen versions.
    It's actually a very good knife, prejudice aside.

JonathanD on BCUK/British Blades did a very thorough review on it.

403Jeeping likes this.