1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

A good place to live and work for a foreign student in the US

Discussion in 'Travel' started by USTF, Nov 6, 2014.

1. USTF

USTF Loaded Pockets

It doesn't really matter, I think the position of a waiter/bus person in cafe, a worker in a hotel or something like that suits me best.
    The jobs for students are generally limited to cafes/restaurants (waiters/kitchen assistants/bussers), hotels (desk clerks), pools and beaches (lifeguards), resort areas and amusement parks (ticket sellers/operators/etc). The important part for me is communicating with people and improving my language skills.
    Some rules apply to the jobs available for me as for a WaT participant:
    • Participants may not engage in employment that displaces U.S. workers
    • Participants may only work for employers whose staffing need is seasonal/temporary in nature
    • Participants may not work for employers who have experienced layoffs within the last 120 days
    • Participants may not work for employers who have workers on strike/lockout
    The prohibited jobs are:
    I reckon it may be so that seasonal workers are not really needed there in KY or TN, which is not a problem in California, NYC or other places with a lot more tourists. But I'm not sure though, I think it shouldn't be a problem to find a position in some cafe?
    Well, I'm completely deaf, insensible and ignorant when it comes to music. Of any sort ( : though I like the general features of country music.

Thanks for the tip. I'll ask the Texan at my university of what he thinks of it. Of course, when I'd asked his advice on the best place to visit and live, he immediately told me Texas is the best (( :

Anyway, considering all the places mentioned here - in your opinion, would it be difficult for a student to find a work there (within the limits of my program) and unusual for an employer to get a foreigner seeking a job? Do they take it normally or prefer to have locals for a longer period of time?

thePlumbah likes this.
  2. al66pine

al66pine Loaded Pockets

Welcome to USA (soon).

Using name of city you are considering, you could search on website city-data (dot) com.
    IN search bar there, just type in city and state.

Loads of info about many aspects of the city, cost of living, names of colleges, crime statistics, cultural attractions, neighborhoods,
    restaurants, a bit of history, etc.
    Many links to local sources.
    Also there is often a forum where you can ask questions about the city.

Hope you enjoy your stay here.

thePlumbah and USTF like this.
  3. USTF

USTF Loaded Pockets

That's very helpful, I'm on it. Thanks a lot.

4. al66pine

al66pine Loaded Pockets

You said -The important part for me is communicating with people and improving my language skills.

Hard to see how you can improve written language skills in English.
    You might be a good candidate for TEACHING English here.
    Many native American-English speakers could benefit from your fluency.

USTF and CatsTide like this.
  5. USTF

USTF Loaded Pockets

Well, thanks, I'll take it as a compliment ( :
    My oral English, though, is not as good and practiced as writing skills. In fact, that's why I decided to visit the US.
    I would enjoy a position of a teacher of Russian for some family, in fact, if not for the restrictions ( :
    But thanks again, I'm very pleased.

al66pine likes this.
  6. Sriracha

Sriracha Loaded Pockets

Nashville is also a fantastic city. Tons of music and history and culture. It is very true that the south is much cheaper to live in, and generally has that laid back vibe, at least when compared to NYC. If you have to go to Texas, I would consider Austin. From what I understand, that is where all the fun happens in Texas!

USTF, al66pine and thePlumbah like this.
  7. SAKplumber
    • In Omnia Paratus

SAKplumber EDC Junkie!!!!!

:eek: Looks about like all their is left :D

No seasonal work in Louisville that I can think of, other that Christmas at UPS. The "Hub" in Louisville may be considered a factory though, IDK.

I would think that Nashville may have some extra jobs in summer due to tourists, but IDK if that just means more service staff in cafes or what. :D

al66pine likes this.
  8. CatsTide

CatsTide Loaded Pockets

Your late May arrival would be about the time tourism picks up in Utah/Navada area. I'm not from around there but I'd be surprised if you couldn't find a seasonal job your looking for. I visited there last year and ate at a restaurant that was almost completely operated by foreigners . We had one of the few American waitresses and we were chatting with her. I was curious about the nationality of the workers and asked her If they owned the restaurant and what nationality they were. She said they were Russian and only worked there for a few months and then moved on. Might be the exact program you are talking about.
    Also if you're really wanting to see a great part of the US you could fill your two weeks of travel and not even scratch the surface of the beauty of that area. Some examples are the Grande Canyon, Bryce Canyon,Hoover Dam,Las Vegas (great place to visit but don't stay there),Lake Tahoe,Red Rock Canyons,Monument Valley,Zion National park, the list is really endless.

USTF and thePlumbah like this.
  9. t4terrific

t4terrific Empty Pockets

I don't know any foreign students who are hiring around here, so Brooksville, FL is out.
    :)

USTF likes this.
  10. Mumbojumboo
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner

Mumbojumboo EDC Junkie!!!!!

The US is big and very different. The west and east have different accents and life styles. Come to the Pacific Northwest..Portland, Seattle

USTF, thePlumbah and Dedrich like this.
  11. swany66675
    • In Omnia Paratus

swany66675 Loaded Pockets

Meadville Pennsylvania
    90 miles north of Pittsburgh Pa
    80 miles east of Cleveland Oh
    100 miles south of Buffalo Ny

A day trip from both Chicago and New York City, three hours to Toronto, Two hours Niagara Falls.

The mountains an hour to the east, the plains and hour to the west, Lake Erie and its beaches 45 miles north.

Six hours from Washington Dc.

USTF and thePlumbah like this.
  12. Epilektos

Epilektos Loaded Pockets

I'll throw my 2 cents in for St Louis. It's over looked by many which is part of why I love it here. I have lived in Denver Austin and Nashville and while there were cool things about each city I don't think Nashville or Austin had a good mix. Denver I would suggest as a close second to St Louis. The cost of living in St Louis is very cheap. We have everything you could want in a big city but without all the big city attitude and bustle. Bonus, we have LOTS of awesome things to do in and around the city that are free. Also within driving distance of Chicago, Nashville, Kansas City, and many other small cities.

Sent from my sak switchblade phone pack lighted sling fak

al66pine, USTF and thePlumbah like this.
  13. Dedrich

Dedrich Loaded Pockets

What is the real America? I doubt any one place would do justice to the diversity here.

al66pine and thePlumbah like this.
  14. Josh

Josh Loaded Pockets

Kentucky Kingdom amusement park in Louisville would be an ideal seasonal job.

al66pine and USTF like this.
  15. USTF

USTF Loaded Pockets

Well, there have been so much opinions and options mentioned that I'm really at a loss ( :
    So the places that really caught my attention are Nashville, Louisville, Pittsburgh, St Louis and Seattle.

But, to be honest, I'm sticking with the Northeast and that means either Nashville/Louisville, St Louis or Pittsburgh.
    I looked up the city-data dot com forum and found a topic (dating 2012-2013) that matches pretty much everything I listed (Pittsburgh vs Louisville vs STL vs KC vs Omaha etc). The discussion went hot sometimes, but I read an awful lot of good things about Louisville.
    With that said, I also think that having never been in the States before it's meaningless for me to try to find an ideal place. Better go and find out for myself what it's like.

So it's Louisville. Summing all things up: it's an interesting city, with a lot of history and stuff to see and do, it's cheap, there are friendly and open-minded people there, it's not impossible to find a seasonal job there for $8-10 and it's near other interesting places to go and see.
    If, for some reasons, Louisville is out, then I'll take a closer look at Pittsburgh and St Louis. St Louis may be my second.

Going down to finding a place to live: I'm not familiar with rental housing business and the way prices go, but is it possible to find, say, a single-person accommodation for some, like, $300-350 a month? An ideal option for me is living alone in some small space with its own small kitchen, bathroom, a bed, a small drawer and, generally, that's all I need. No fancy pictures on the walls, no big expensive furniture, no TV. I don't know, what options can give me that? Motels? Studio apartments? Of course, there are always hostels, but I'd prefer being alone, up and down, in and out any time I want.

Yeah, they must have been the WaT participants.
    Well, I'm sure going to use all the time I'll have left to explore as much as I can! ( :

I'd love to, Seattle strongly reminds me of Vladivostok, which is the city I currently live in, but I've had enough of rainy weather, cold winds from the sea and water all around you for the past 18 years (( :

A bit of small to me. If having PA only to go to, I'd definitely go for Pittsburgh ( :

I'll bear that in mind, thanks a lot. One more place to consider.

Epilektos likes this.
  16. baccar-3

baccar-3 Loaded Pockets

If you don't mind snow and cold here are some places in NY:
    Woods valley ski area---Westernville NY
    Snow Ridge ski area---Turin NY
    Toggenburg Mountain Ski Center
    McCauley Mountain ski shop---Old Forge NY

You may be able to find seasonal employment in some of these areas.

USTF likes this.
  17. USTF

USTF Loaded Pockets

Hey, guys.
    Been quite a while after the last post, and I really appreciate all the help and your willingness to give some advice.
    Unfortunately, it wasn't possible to find any seasonal employment in either KY or TN and PA is banned by the sponsors, so I've come up with an employment in Cheektowaga, NY as a hotel housekeeper. I'm pretty sure I'll have a great time, maybe even spot some EDCF guys out there, if there are any ( :

Now, I didn't want to create another thread on such minor thing, thought might as well ask for another advice here.

I plan on arriving at JFK and then catching a plane to Cheektowaga's BUF, but I'll have to spend a night in NYC anyway.
    Would finding some room at the airport itself be the best option? Or should I rather travel to the city and find some hotel there? Guess there's no point travelling back and forth if you can sleep at JFK just as easy for the same money.
    No luxuries needed, just some cosy place with a bed and a shower, where you can relax without worrying about anything.
    Some personal experience would be great. Maybe there are hotels with a low price and good rooms or the ones I should try avoiding. That will be useful if I have to stay in NYC at the end of my trip.