1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

A Friendly Hello From Kentucky

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Zachary Rowland, Sep 2, 2016.

1. Zachary Rowland

Zachary Rowland Empty Pockets

Hello everyone. After a few weeks of waiting for my account to be approved, the wait is over, and I'm thrilled to be able to discuss my interest in knives with all of you.

Hi! My name is Zack, I'm 17 years old (rather young for a knife collector I suppose?) and I've been interested in knives ever since I knew what they were. As I've matured I think it's funny that so have my knife preferences (or just knowledge) as well. Back when I knew nothing of steels and overall quality, I went for whatever "looked" the coolest, and by this I mean I was only buying things like Tac-Force knives (Don't get me wrong, there are plenty of cool looking knives that are owned and manufactured by very good companies and have fantastic quality, NOT tac-force.) But as I've grown, I've gotten into Kershaws, which I have carried for years, but now I'm at a point in my life where I want something bigger, so currently I am a proud owner of a Spyderco Native 5 FRN and a Benchmade Mini Griptillian, I splurged twice. These two knives, back before I knew anything of S35VN steel, or the benefits of a knife being made in the USA, I would have looked at these knives and thought "there wasn't anything there for me." Now I understand. (The Spyderco is the one in my current profile picture, subject to change).

So that's a little about me, if you've got any questions or just want to say hello, please feel free to do so below. I look forward to meeting more people who enjoy the same thing I do.

So if you don't mind, I think this would be a great place to post pictures and things if I got a new knife. Could an experienced member tell me if that's a good idea? Because all of my friends who don't like knives (80% of them) are getting tired of me posting pictures of my knives on Instagram 90% of the time.

2. THE PUNISHER

THE PUNISHER Loaded Pockets

3. Codeman

Codeman Loaded Pockets

Welcome to EDCF, Zack. The Native and Min Grip are excellent choices. The Native easily exceeds at tasks that most people would insist require a larger blade. I also like the Native's finger choil. In the highly unlikely event that the lock releases (or wasn't engaged to start with), there's a 99.999% chance that the edge won't cut you. I place my first finger down the spine of the blade when doing detail work such as carving or splinter removal.

I keep my Native in a neck sheath (left-handed in picture below) with a tip up carry, which allows me to grab the knife by the hole. A quick downward pull simultaneously removes the knife from the sheath and fully opens it. I'm 55, but I can still get the knife in my hand and ready to go in less than 2 seconds. Very practical, fun as heck, and will scare the crap out of non-knife people (which I don't recommend)!

[​IMG]

Feel free to post away! I suggest our Knives sub-forum. You'll definitely find a bunch of folks who share your enthusiasm.

If I may, I'd like to make a suggestion - keep your first knife. As time goes by, I get mine out as it makes it easy to see how my tastes, and needs, have changed. And usually it also helps to show me that my choices have improved.

It's probably not "if" but "when". ;) EDCF is a dangerous place for most of our wallets!

Also, please take a look at the links in my signature line below. It never hurts to review rules and such. We follow the Golden Rule of treating others as we wish to be treated, and everything else grows out of that.

Enjoy!

Last edited by Codeman, Sep 2, 2016
    Zachary Rowland likes this.
  4. Nick4305
    • In Omnia Paratus

Nick4305 EDC Junkie!!!!!

Hello and welcome from Italy !

5. Gary Gross

Gary Gross Loaded Pockets

Welcome aboard from the flatlands of Indiana!

6. Retired Army

Retired Army Loaded Pockets

Welcome from Nevada.

7. Zachary Rowland

Zachary Rowland Empty Pockets

Thank you all for the very warm welcomes and advice. I sincerely appreciate it! Look forwarding to sharing with you all.

8. twin63

twin63 Loaded Pockets

Welcome to EDCF Zack. Hard to go wrong with Spyderco and Benchmade for your first "quality" knives, although Kershaw offers a lot of value for the money (the Skyline was my carry knife for almost 5 years).

With your interest in knives, you should try to attend Blade Show at some point. I've been the last 4 years and always have a great time, meet a lot of great people, and get to see and handle some awesome blades.

9. Diezel

Diezel Loaded Pockets

Welcome from Canada