1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

a edc must have...Spenco Total Support Original Insoles

Discussion in 'EDC Clothing' started by marsos52, Jan 16, 2013.

1. marsos52

marsos52 Loaded Pockets

sounds crazy? but its not. my main shoes or boots actually are keens (3pair) and (two pair) of danners.

one pair of my keens i use at work. keens have been very good to me, great support and fit and last a long time. last week at work i noticed i wasn't walking properly. my right foot i was using the ball of my foot and not my toes. i thought nothing of it until i got home and my foot was so sore.

i checked my foot and it looked fine, and when i changed shoes that night everything was ok.

next day at work same deal and when i came home i had a big blister on the ball of my foot.
    now i looked at my keens and they are in good condition and not that old either,

i pulled out the insole thinking i wore them thru but they looked fine, but i realized they must just be tired and not suppporting my foot, just plain worn out, next day i took the insoles from another pair of keen and all was good at work,

went online to try to get keen insoles and at the keen sight they do not sell replacements

so i found 'The Insole Store' wow what a selection, i desided to go with
    Spenco Total Support Original Insoles

came today on my day off. so i used them for errands all day and wow what a difference.
    as comfortable and great fit my keens are now there uber comfy

cant wait to go back to work haha

so im EDC'ing insoles

Wishoot and SAKplumber like this.
  2. zombieslayer001

Wonder if they have them in a size 16-17?

Pete3 and mpphoto like this.
  3. marsos52

marsos52 Loaded Pockets

the model i bought come in size 15 i havent looked at sizes in the other models or companies they sell.
    'The Insole Store' site is huge and i bet they can help you

www.theinsolestore.com

4. Shadowex3

Shadowex3 Loaded Pockets

Reading up on Spenco's own website everything reads that they're basically a souped up Dr. Scholls. The problem with most insoles, and insole wearers, is that we're trained to equate cushioning with support, thinking that if the insole is soft and comfy and our feet don't feel worked at the end of the day we've made the right call. The problem is that as comfy as cushioning is it's working against your biology. You want an insole that's not soft and that will force your foot to maintain an anatomically correct form, in other words something that makes it do it's job as shock absorber, transfers your energy to the ground efficiently, and keeps your whole skeleton in proper alignment.

You wouldn't just buy your own braces or glasses and say "yeah that feels close enough", treat your feet at least that well. Find an actual running store staffed by people with actual medical training who will watch you walk and find the proper shoe or insole for your particular gait. I recommend starting with either Superfeet or Sole insoles. Either one (but especially the superfeet) will actually keep your feet doing what they're supposed to once you get used to them... just don't try and start off wearing them for a full day all at once. Your body WILL need time to get used to actually being supported properly and your feet will need to get used to not being coddled by squishy padding, you'll probably feel like someone punched you in the bottom of the foot for the first few days.

I've got a collapsed arch in one foot and significant tibial varum in each leg. Switching to superfeet made the difference from being in agony after grocery shopping to being able to spend 20 hours hauling :censored: around the jungle without any real pain or problems.

Pete3 likes this.
  5. kd7dvd
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

kd7dvd EDC Junkie!!!!!

Thanks for the Superfeet link. I got a pair of Red Wings a few months ago (official uniform shoe--we get them for free. We don't have to wear them, but any other shoe we have to buy out of pocket). After 6 months in those things, I was shopping for a cane. Plantar fasciitis like no one's business, there I was hobbling like a 300 year old turtle.

One day I put on a different pair of shoes on a lark. Immediate improvement. After a month, I was almost back to normal.

TAKE CARE OF YOUR FEET!

And find a shoe store where the people know how to fit shoes. Being able to run a credit card terminal is no qualification.

Shur and Gnarly like this.
  6. Brisket

Brisket Loaded Pockets

The Spenco Total Support are excellent. I have a pair as well as several pairs of the discontinued Backpacker and Day Hiker series which are essentially the same insole. I like the Superfeet insoles (Green & Orange) too but I don't find that they last as long as the Spenco. The Superfeet take up less space though so they are a good choice should you have closer fitting boot. After suffering plantar fasciitis many years ago I began a ritual of replacing stock insoles with a quality insole every time I got a new pair of footwear.

Quality wool socks make a big difference too.

7. rickboone

rickboone Loaded Pockets

I use massaginginsoles.com however am always willing to try new things.

8. RacerX

RacerX Loaded Pockets

Best insoles I've ever worn were custom-fit by my chiropractor and an offsite company. Took a mold of my foot and tweaked it slightly in the arch (I was suffering plantar fasciitis at the time as well)

Boy I miss those things...

9. Wishoot

Wishoot Loaded Pockets

Digging up an old thread here....

Bought a pair of Merrell Moab Ventilators a couple of months ago and have been wearing them almost every day. The problem is that I have very high arches and while I like almost everything about the Moab's, they have absolutely ZERO arch support. After walking a mile in them, I'm done.

I went to my local shoe repair store and they let me try several different insoles in the Moab's. I left with the Spenco Total Support's. While they are not a 100% perfect solution, they certainly seem to help quite a bit.

I plan on taking a short two mile walk (brisk pace) tonight to see how they work out. Hopefully they'll transform a shoes that were almost unusable to something comfortable.

10. IThinkTooMuch

IThinkTooMuch Loaded Pockets

Spenco makes rigid arch supports under the SpencoRX label. I'm wearing a 3/4 length arch support ATM. My feet haven't decided if they like them, but my knees are much happier. I'll have to compare them to Superfeet.

11. azJim

azJim Loaded Pockets

I totally concur with Spenco. They have several options and I have been wearing them for about 20 years. When your feet have had it, so have you. It is horrible to have to work on feet that hurt.
    In the west, Sport Chalet has a good selection of spenco and other quality insoles, as does Cabela's.