1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

A Controversial View

Discussion in 'First Aid Station' started by DavyJ, Mar 1, 2014.

1. r-ice
    • In Omnia Paratus

r-ice Loaded Pockets

lol i live in canada, one day we have heat and one day we have snow.

socaldsal and kertap75 like this.
  2. Oscar4883

Oscar4883 Loaded Pockets

I generally agree with the OP. There are exceptions though. For instance, I have a full-time job and a business of my own doing commercial tree work. In the pouch on my climbing harness is a pack of Quikclot and a pressure ba dage. The reason being that in many areas where I work cell phone service is spotty at best. I don't see the local FD being able to get me out of a tree from 70ft in someones back yard. I wouod at least like a shot a survival if something goes awry. And IMO that can mean depending on yourself amd those you work with.

T.H.Cone likes this.
  3. MTFatboy
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

MTFatboy Loaded Pockets

I saw my dad splint a girl's injured leg with pine branches and strips torn from his undershirt. I had to sling my Daughter's arm with a t-shirt one camping trip, too. Training without gear can still save the day. Gear without training is useless. Gear and training is obviously best, but I personally don't carry gear unless I am taking myself far from professional help, and then only the absolute essentials.

T.H.Cone likes this.
  4. socaldsal

socaldsal Loaded Pockets

Wrapped in a shirt at the bottom of your bag or deep in the recess of whatever you're carrying. Some meds degrade in to bad things, important for those with heart meds. Other meds can be taken well past the good by date, they're just less effective. If you want to adjust fire on that and play the ratio game finding out how much after x amount of time, well, it's a free continent. Do some research which meds degrade in to bad juju and try to come up with a way to remember them. As long as you aren't playing with a temp difference that regularly puts the med bottle at 100+ degrees and then 32 degrees repeatedly, like leaving it on a bathroom windowsill that gets hit by sunlight.

Exactly MTFatboy, I guarantee I will stop a bleed with a ripped up t shirt, a Charleston Chew wrapper, and a belt. I would do better with two kerlix and 2" ace wrap. If applicable I'll get the victim to put on hard manual pressure to give them the will to live and the belief that they will be ok (THIS IS BIG). Twelve years ago even with the gear on hand I probably would've just watched while calling for help on my cell phone while looking for someone to do something.

Keeping the injured calm and keeping the dead out of sight of the severely wounded is HUGE. It WORKS. Dudes have lived getting the worst handed to them and losing limbs and some people gave up the ghost with injuries not even approaching the same level of severity. Will to live.

RoadWizard and DavyJ like this.