1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

A compact/point-and-shoot with amazing connectivity? (as mobile phone camera replacement)

Discussion in 'Photography EDC' started by rodia77, May 7, 2019.

1. rodia77

rodia77 Empty Pockets

Hi all.

Before I start spending hours on a hunt, perhaps you can point me in the right direction from the get-go.

Problem: the camera in my mobile sucks big time. (The operator generally sucks at photography, too, but we're not focusing on this). ;-)

It's Samsung Galaxy A3 (2017), and while it does have a premium feel and performs acceptably for my needs, the camera is an obvious part where they cut down costs to make it as affordable as it is.

I thought about changing my phone -- the ONLY candidate that would be an improvement, have an acceptably small size and have an acceptable price for me is Sony Xperia XZ2 Compact. But the lack of OIS makes me think twice, and reports of issues with the display make me think thrice. (Please don't recommend iPhones).

So I'm thinking, perhaps there is a photo camera with amazing connectivity that could provide a similar experience to a mobile, ie point, shoot, share/send/transfer? So I'm thinking it would have to have Wi-Fi for quick online connection and Bluetooth + apps for communicating with my mobile?

I have Olympus Stylus 1 for those rare occasions when I want to make an effort for better quality photos, but I don't carry it with me at all times except for trips, holidays etc, and even taking it out for some home photography feels cumbersome. The first thing that came to my mind when I started thinking about another camera was Olympus Tough TG-5. Does anyone have any experience with it?

Also, I'm not 100% convinced if it actually is a good idea to go that way. On the one hand I care about immediate availability and being able to have it in hand in 2 secs, on the other, I don't think I'd carry another full-fledged device in my pocket, it would probably reside in my backpack, which I have with me some 90% of time. But would I bother to reach for the camera there instead of just grabbing my phone?

A keychain camera that could meet my quality expectations would be too much to ask, I reckon?

Any thoughts?

2. MCPOWoller

MCPOWoller Loaded Pockets

Couple of suggestions (well, one less since you said no iPhone) in no particular order:
    1) Can you connect a card reader of some sort to your phone? That way you can use whatever camera you want and plug the adapter with card from camera, right into your phone.

2) Any of the Sony RX100 series cameras would work great. They have WiFi and Bluetooth to connect and share.
    3) Most of the Fuji cameras have these same qualities built in.
    There will be an app you would need to download to get the full camera / phone functions but they work pretty well in my experience.

Before my iPhone accepted SD card readers I went this route when I needed good quality pic's and the ability to send to my phone for email / text.

rodia77 likes this.
  3. Tallboyjim

Tallboyjim Loaded Pockets

I’ve had a couple of Fuji point and shoot cameras and neither worked when it’s cold.

rodia77 likes this.
  4. McNasty

McNasty Loaded Pockets

We got a drawer full of p&s camera since we got our pixel 3's we haven't used them.

HeadOffice and rodia77 like this.
  5. BillyFred

BillyFred Empty Pockets

As an overnight photojournalist I was looking for a camera to mount on top of my broadcast video camera. I started with a TG-4. Sadly if grew legs so I now have a TG-5. I miss the digital zoom of the TG-4 but otherwise they are about the same.

The Wi-Fi Android app works well to quickly download photos (use it mostly for social media posting). It's rugged, waterproof so no worries if I get caught in the rain. I work deep nights and the camera sees in the dark pretty well. The optical zoom is nice and it's wide which was a must for me.

The composite mode is the coolest feature. For shooting a stationary object in the dark you can "paint" the scene with a flashlight (Fenix TK25 R/B). It's not a normal time-lapse but a layering. Makes great lightning pics!

The Olympus hard shell case is a worthwhile investment. I also have a silicone cover on it.

I typically shoot with much higher cameras so not a point and shoot expert but this camera hasn't disappointed me.

rodia77 likes this.
  6. rodia77

rodia77 Empty Pockets

Thanks for your input, everyone.
    Thoughts so far:
    I don't care about connecting readers etc -- need full wireless connectivity.
    The RX100 line looks sweet, but then WX350 looks sweeter (size).
    I fiddled with my Stylus 1 yesterday and used its Wi-Fi for the first time (yep) -- and I figured that cameras like the said WX350 or Canon G9X, while a little smaller and quite a bit more advanced, would just create a redundancy. It looks like IXUS/ELPH, or indeed TG, is what I should be after. Or something even simpler. I want a phone camera handiness with the quality improved over what I have now.
    With the above in mind, going with a phone would still make more sense. The Xperia being the only option, I'm tempted to give it a go and count on, I don't know, luck in getting a defect-free example? :/
    Now, much as I hate shovel-sized phones, in the end it may turn out that getting an extra camera will be even more of a hassle than an oversized phone. So my options are:
    1. Risk a faulty device and go with Xperia.
    2. Compromise on the size and go with a larger phone.
    3. Accept to pay a small fortune to import a phone that will meet my expectations.
    4. Compromise on the convenience of use and go with a compact camera.
    (I'm writing this lengthy bit up for myself mostly to help organise thoughts, but by all means feel free to share what you would do!)

7. rodia77

rodia77 Empty Pockets

After considering the above, I chose to go with the option 2. Galaxy S9 is on it's way. Thanks again, everyone.

8. kikaida

kikaida Loaded Pockets

I would have preferred the S10 myself.