1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

A Bit Of Self Reflection

Discussion in 'General EDC Discussion' started by neutrontech, May 15, 2012.

1. neutrontech
    • In Omnia Paratus

neutrontech Loaded Pockets

I really just don't know how to express how grateful I am for this. Please pass along my gratitude to the anonymous member.

hatchet, thank you so much. I have always admired your copper beads.

Wow. I never expected anything like this. I was just up late, and trying to get a little psychological discussion going. The kindness showed here will NOT be forgotten. This knife will carry a very special meaning with me, one that money can't buy. It will always be a symbol to me, and a life long reminder of the kindness of others.

blacmud8 and mooshisho like this.
  2. blacmud8

blacmud8 Loaded Pockets

In response to your OP:

I definitely Um and Ah about purchases. My main point of guilt is not cost - I don't even consider things I can't afford, and I have no/few overheads and blah blah so while I can't afford Hinderer/Strider/CRK and the like I am reasonably OK - it's use.

Due to legal restrictions and the fact that most of my time is spent in a library, quietly reading books and frowning at people who make noise, I basically can't in an way justify most knives as I wouldn't be able to EDC them. This rules almost everything out from the word go, so it makes my life a lot easier in terms of deciding what/when to buy nice things.

The process goes something like this:

Does it fold? (Many fall at this hurdle)

Does it have a lock? (Most who get over the first fall at this hurdle)

Is the blade under 3"? (Bigger slipjoints and friction folders ruled out here, too)

Can I afford it? (things like custom slippies usually fall here, too. I've never spent more than ~£100 on a sharp)

Is it different enough from sharps I already have to be more useful than the others in a certain context? (A lot of what comes into this is stuff like situational discretion - I bought a case peanut because I knew I could get it out in the library to trim the glue off a pad of paper, for example, which I would hesitate to do with something larger/OHO)

So no, I don't wrestle so much with the cost side of things, but most that would attract me get ruled out in the circumstantial selection process for locking or being a fixed blade. If I bought a Sebenza, which one day I may well do, I'd sure as heck feel guilty as it would sit in my drawer and get used to open my letters and other mundane stuff around the house - well, that just doesn't cut the mustard (or so to speak), and hence can not be justified.

All you gotta do is move somewhere with silly sharp laws and your problems will be solved - nothing will be legal to carry, so the decisions will be made for you already!!

3. KeyeEl

KeyeEl EDC Junkie!!!!!

Certain states are already making silly sharp laws (*grumbles* New York *grumbles*). Pretty soon we won't have to move to feel your pain!

4. Gnarly
    • In Omnia Paratus

Gnarly Loaded Pockets

Need your address,too,Neurontech.
    I'll send you a custom sheath for the ZT.
    Just go to 'Conversations' and leave your address for me,please.

Have enjoyed your posts since joining here; always the voice of reason, and critical of nobody.
    If the other folks are helping cover your knife, I'll send the sheath.

5. neutrontech
    • In Omnia Paratus

Thank you Gnarly. I really really appreciate it. I'm excited!

6. medic2807

medic2807 Loaded Pockets

Blacmud, seems as though you are already asking Jon if the blade is in stock. I am at work nights this week, and can't get on the forum on the work computer, but can from my phone. E-mail me at k l a b o_m a r k@gmail.com and we can talk about how to do this.

Sent from my SCH-I405 using Tapatalk

7. hatchetjack

hatchetjack EDC Junkie!!!!!

I included an unused Rough Rider Copperhead in your package. I know it's not a ZT but maybe something shiny will distract you till it arrives.........

neutrontech likes this.
  8. xbanker
    • Administrator

xbanker Geriatric Admin
    Staff Member

G ... I like your style! [​IMG]

gstojinovic likes this.
  9. neutrontech
    • In Omnia Paratus

That will be my first classic style knife. Now I'll be able to see how they are in person. Thank you hatchet. I sound like a broken record, but I just can't stay 'thank you' enough.

gstojinovic likes this.
  10. hatchetjack

hatchetjack EDC Junkie!!!!!

Yes you do...now stop it! :D

gstojinovic and neutrontech like this.
  11. blacmud8

blacmud8 Loaded Pockets

Email doesn't seem to be working. If anyone else has/knows a working email for medic please drop me a pm :)

12. Mumbojumboo
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner

Mumbojumboo EDC Junkie!!!!!

No reason to buy but for the glory. Look around and you will find plenty at home.

neutrontech likes this.
  13. medic2807

medic2807 Loaded Pockets

Grr. Take out the underscore and add a .
    Or, m k l a b o @ m e d i c i n e . n o d a k . e d u

Sent from my SCH-I405 using Tapatalk

14. blacmud8

blacmud8 Loaded Pockets

It seems to be behaving this time.

15. Ollie243

Ollie243 Loaded Pockets

On the OT:

I myself agonise over every single purchase I like to know what people think of the product and I like to watch YouTube videos and see it from a few different angles, almost like being in a shop really. It does not matter what it is if it's £10 or my recent and most expensive EDC influenced purchase a 5.11 Rush24.
    For example I wanted a 24 way back when I joined here in October / November last year, but it was christmas time and my girlfriends birthday etc so I waited it out. I watched and read a ton of reviews online of this and a few other rucksacks that caught my eye then finally last week settled on it.
    I do sometimes feel some buyers remorse however I know that the secondhand markets on this and my other haunt BritishBlades are very good that if I need to I can free up some of the money I have in edc items.
    I don't earn a lot of money I am on a self funded gap year so my mindset is anything over £50 I have to think on for at least a week and if I still want/need it after then think another day then buy it. Sometimes I spend longer. I don't like having more than I need though I currently only have two new knives since I started browsing around here a FRN UKPK ( wanted the s30v but couldn't afford ) and the Spyderco Tenacious ( again really wanted a paramilitary but funds didn't allow ) both of these were bought second hand.

My Grandad always said to me that you should always buy the best you can afford at the time and I have found this good advice to stick with and bear in mind :D

Onto the topic of the sheer kindness demonstrated.
    My girlfriend often asks me why I sit on my pad and read these forums most evenings, tomorrow I'll tell her about these gestures of good will and she might understand.

Makes me smile when I read things like this!

neutrontech and TECENG like this.