1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

A Bit Of Self Reflection

Discussion in 'General EDC Discussion' started by neutrontech, May 15, 2012.

1. neutrontech
    • In Omnia Paratus

neutrontech Loaded Pockets

I have been sitting here thinking tonight, drooling over all the awesome gear I see on this site. Then I sort of became curious if others wrestle with themselves about the same things I do, or if it's just me being too worried about things.

I see gear that I want and I see gear that I could really use. Some items are cheap enough that I can buy after some deliberation, and others require me to save. The items I buy have.... personal value to them, because each purchase is thought about and checked against the tight budget. Even the inexpensive items are important to me, and bum me out if lost or broken.

Sometimes I can't get exactly what I want and have to settle for something similar. This is mostly because of cost. Now, I can save for it, but sometimes the time needed save enough becomes unreasonable. Or (being a single father of 3), once I have that amount saved, I find that the saved amount can be better spent. If we're talking a few hundred dollars, it could be something like taking the kids on a rare trip to the zoo, or some other place special.

To me, a $40 knife is a couple weeks worth of saving. What I've learned, though, is I can save money by spending more now, in some cases. A $5 knife will need replacing frequently which will end up costing more in the long run. So, I try to buy items I think will last, and with good warranties with companies with good CS. For example: After joining this forum, I learned more about knives and purchased a Kershaw Scallion. Let me tell you, this was the most expensive knife I have ever owned and it felt GREAT in my hand. It has taken a beating and I'm proud to carry it. Really, I sit there sometimes and look at my EDC and just admire it, because (as sad as it sounds) it's some of the finest things I've ever owned. And it's taken almost two years to acquire what I have.

This leads me to the point of my post (after much rambling, sorry!), I really have taken a big interest in knives and flashlights - mostly due to this forum. It's something that I'm ready to treat as a "hobby", and treat myself to. Here is where my problem lies. I'm not ready to save money to spend on anything for the sole purpose of collecting. Anything I buy will be used and abused lol! I've been looking at getting a Spyderco. Nothing expensive, around the $40 range. Should be no big deal, but I just can't bring myself to pull the trigger on it without feeling guilty.

It's not that I feel guilty about buying it, it's that I feel guilty about buying one when I already have a perfectly good knife that I carry and use everyday. If I were to get it, and really liked it, I would only want to carry that and then my Kershaw would retire. I could tell myself that I would rotate, but I've been down this road before with other things. What happens is, I start thinking that if I don't carry the new item, then I didn't need it and shouldn't have bought it. If I only carry the new item, then I would be thinking that my old knife is being wasted and once again think that I shouldn't have bought the new one. I don't really have this problem when buying a new item that will serve a new purpose, or improve an old one. Well, unless the price gets crazy.

One thing this forum has taught me, is that EDCers come from all over and from every demographic. Some prefer to buy things to collect, others to use, and even more do both. This is obviously something I just need to get over, but I was curious if any other EDCers, on tight budgets, ever had this struggle within themselves, or similar internal battles.

Ollie243, Gnarly, n_cr and 3 others like this.
  2. Scottyzedinosaur

Scottyzedinosaur Loaded Pockets

Buy it, unless you know you can spend it somewhere more useful, like groceries or gas. If there's nowhere you can find to put it, buy yourself a nice delica or endura. Personally, I'd save up a couple more weeks and get a mini griptilian. That is my all time favorite knife, and it's really nice for the money. But! If a spyderco is what you want, get it! It'll make you happy, and you'll have a nice knife to boot. I've never really been a spyderco guy, though. Every one I've ever gotten, particularly their lockbacks, have had significant up and down play and side to side. Some are worse than others, but I just have had bad luck. Not trying to bash them, I'm just really picky. ;) I know tons of people love em, though. I did have an old dragonfly I liked a lot. Was heartbroken when I lost it. That's a darn useful knife.

3. hatchetjack

hatchetjack EDC Junkie!!!!!

My budget has been very tight for awhile. Even when it wasn't, I acquired much of my gear pre-owned. There are so many collectors, samplers, guys trying out new things or upgrading, that very good deals can be had on very lightly used/unused items.

I joined this forum 6 years ago and amassed quite a bit and overturned lots of gear. So long ago that I got an Atwood thrown in on a trade 'cause the guy didn't want it. Imagine? AND...I did not know who Atwood was.

I've since liquidated much of it (including the Atwood Bug Out Bar for a mere 50 bucks) to where only my "higher end" items remain. Does that mean I'll stop buying? No, but I will be very thoughtful about my decisions. If I do see a deal, I may jump on it to use on something to step up to but that doesn't happen much any more.

Another thing I've been doing is making my own accessories. You probably have seen them in my posts. Coiled lanyards, beads from hardware store bins and lately copper wire lanyards. I've used them to trade for items I need/like. Usually nickel and dime stuff but it keeps me out of my PayPal account and I still get the anticipation of waiting for an item in the mail.

BTW, what Spyderco are you looking at? I can keep an eye out for you.

HJ

4. neutrontech
    • In Omnia Paratus

Haven't decided yet! lol I'm thinking something around $50. So, the best I can get for that.

5. mooshi
    • In Omnia Paratus

mooshi Loaded Pockets

:) I'm a newly transferred university student and the budget has been tight for quite some time. I've paid for everything (food, bills, tuition, etc.) ever since I first got a job at the age of 16. Whether or not you believe it, I have not taken a cent of my parents' since then.

I guess it's easier for me to save considering I don't have children to look after. Granted, I didn't have the best paying job(s) in the world, I quickly learned at a young age about necessities versus wants. Because of that, I was able to save accordingly. I always have made sure that my bills were paid on time. Coupons and online deals are my best friends. Making use of what I already had played a very big factor in saving money. And getting items second hand, as long as they were in good working order, was something that I actually preferred over getting things brand new.

Anywho, when it came to my newly found love of EDC items, this quickly changed. I wanted everything I could get my hands on. But after hanging out here on the forums, I learned what brands and what items were the best bang for my buck. And since I never really splurged on myself in the past, I had some money built up that I was happy to finally spend on myself (hence the newly acquired items I've written about here and there, including today's Daiso trip).

I then opted for quality knives rather than having a large quantity of mediocre knives. I still do keep some halfway decent knives for SAR missions so that should they get lost, it's no big deal, but will still do its job when I need it to. But I'm now saving up for a mini griptilian and am slowly in the process of downsizing all that I have acquired these past few months. I actually plan on only owning no more than 3 EDC blades and 2 SAR mission blades.

That's my current thought on this. :) Tuition takes up a big portion of my finances, particularly since I'm going to uni now. But I don't let that stop me from enjoying myself. Mostly because I believe that the idea and practice of EDC is practical and that it will stick with me for the rest of my life rather than a random hobby that I'll soon "throw away" and move on to something else.

Cheers!

neutrontech likes this.
  6. tower
    • In Omnia Paratus

tower Loaded Pockets

7. Valerian

Valerian Tea-powered admin

If you live in an area that has knife shops, go there! I find I often would be willing to order something over the internet, but if I go to a store that carries the same item where I can look and handle it, I often have second thoughts and decide I don't need it after all.

Speaking as someone who has more knives than I need, there are some that I've bought because I thought I'd use them and some that I bought just because I wanted them. At the end of the day, the reason I bought them doesn't make much difference, they still end up in The Box. Maybe I will sell or trade them some day, or give them away as gifts, or pass them on to my children, if they develop an interest in sharps. The nice thing about knives vs. flashlights is that knives keep their value. While flashlights keep getting noticeably better and better each year, knives will always be much the same. Sure, they will develop marginally better steels, but a knife that is a good knife today will still be a good knife 10 or 20 years from now. I have knives I inherited from my father that are 30-40 years old and they are still perfectly good knives.

neutrontech likes this.
  8. jeeves3443

jeeves3443 Loaded Pockets

I've learned from experience and from this forum, "I'm too poor to buy cheap (poorly-made) things."
    Like Valolammas said, this is very true with knives.

I've got a few $50 knives that haven't let me down w/serious use. Though, you do get what you pay for.

9. blacmud8

blacmud8 Loaded Pockets

Neutron... You posted in the grail thread that your grail is that ZT (I can't remember the model) which you linked as for sale for ~$130.

If you put your $50 in I'll cover the rest. I'm in a lucky place in my life, through luck and chance as much as hard work. I want to spread some of the love. There's nothing like a bit of wealth re-distribution.

There is one condition, though: Don't tell my girlfriend ;)

10. medic2807

medic2807 Loaded Pockets

I'll go halfsies with you Blacmud. Maybe we can get it from Jon and help him out, too. PM me and we'll come up with a game plan. 4 years ago I was peniless. A lot has changed since then, and a lot of people helped me out along the way. Pay it forward.
    Sent from my SCH-I405 using Tapatalk

11. Argeus

Argeus Loaded Pockets

Great initiative!

Not in stock in the EDCF-store right now, but Jon can probably fix that ;)

http://www.jsburlys.com/index.php?app=ecom&ns=prodshow&ref=zerotolerance0350

12. kertap75

kertap75 EDC Junkie!!!!!

I understand where you are coming from financially. Growing up we never lacked for things we needed as cjildren, but as I grew older I started to notice the things my parents went without for us kids.

I saw an episode of american pickers a few weeks ago and one of the guys they were buying from said something I thought was wise. He was letting his stuff go fairly cheaply and someone asked him about it. He said something like "my goal in life isn't to own all the toys, but to play with them all". In our society everyone wants to own more and more stuff, but that often doesn't make us happy.

Some practical advice is to buy used and trade. If you really aren't happy witht the thought of owning 2 knifes, that doesn't mean you can't get a new one, just trade away the old one if you like the new one. Our put it away for one of your kids. Also I know a father doesn't have a lot of free time, but maybe you can pick up a hobby that will make a little money, even a fefw dollars a week? That money could be earmarked for EDC stuff.

It's always good to see people thinking about life and sharing it with us. You are not the only person with these same thoughts, good luck to you.

13. gstojinovic

gstojinovic Loaded Pockets

I hear you.... And have simmilar problem. Budget is always tight!! With total household income of 650eur or 830$ monthly and two kids + credit loans, what can I tell you!! It can't get any tighter than this!! :D

On top of this, I must tell you that prices here are crazy (LM Wave = 170$ :frantic: ) not to tell that choice is under every standard... There is merely few brands selling here, while economic strenght of people is weak, so everyone buys Chinese POS and not just low end, the lowerest dirt cheap end one can find.... So I can't even go to the store and take something in my hands to see how it works, I'm just reliyng on reviews here, on YT, or net (that's one of the reasons I started my own YT channel and blog on native language to help other EDC guys here)...

And this is not everything, PayPal doesn't support Serbia, so I'm using my cousins account from Slovenia and trying to keep things rolling. I'm paying some ridiculous high fees to MoneyGram and WesternUnion to send her money when I want to buy something.

In past I've managed to get some gear and stuff which I traded away, something I've keeped, something sold... I'm like you, everything that comes in my hands must be used, at least once if not more.

I use and rotate my gear, but just recently started to collecting Case knives, though mixed collecting AND using them. I like how those slippies look, and they serve my purpose.

To sum it all, money is tight, I need to be very cunning in finding a way to buy and have thing shipped here.... But it's worth, nothing can beat the filling of oppening a box of goodies... :D

neutrontech likes this.
  14. neutrontech
    • In Omnia Paratus

Oh, I would be happy owning multiple knives. It's just getting to that point, lol.

Wow, I really don't know what to say. Saying "thank you" doesn't quite seem like enough. I am moved by your generosity.

Thank you everyone for the discussion

xbanker and gstojinovic like this.
  15. blacmud8

blacmud8 Loaded Pockets

Every day I benefit from the overwhelming generosity of others. I'm just passing some of it along :)

I'm waiting on Jon to let me know when they might be in stock at the forum store. Hopefully it won't be too long!

neutrontech, Argeus and gstojinovic like this.
  16. Argeus

Argeus Loaded Pockets

I would like to thank you for sharing your thoughts on this. I feel the same quite often. I recently got into hunting(a somewhat expensive prospect here) and basically go around feeling selfish when looking at the costs involved in that, and in my steady obsession with knives, when the family as a whole is living a bit on the edge.

Balancing the needs of the family and the passing fancies that sometimes gets the better of me is a constant struggle. Should I spend hundreds of dollars on a hunting knife when I already have a knife I bought in 1996 that's good enough(even very good)?

In the end I can't really let my son be without anything because I want something that I don't really, really need.

I hope the ZT-knife lives up to you expectations. The one I got has surpassed mine.

neutrontech and gstojinovic like this.
  17. gstojinovic

gstojinovic Loaded Pockets

That's called a good carma! And great generosity!!

mooshisho and Vesp like this.
  18. tower
    • In Omnia Paratus

tower Loaded Pockets

Hats off to blacmud8 and medic2807 for exemplifying the spirit of this forum! Thank you, Guys.

Gnarly and blacmud8 like this.
  19. blacmud8

blacmud8 Loaded Pockets

We're not the only ones, another member has agreed to chip in, too.

20. hatchetjack

hatchetjack EDC Junkie!!!!!

My budget is very tight as well right now but I can send you some of my copper beads, split rings and some other odds and ends so you can build some of your own projects. PM your mailing address and I'll get a package in the mail.

blacmud8 likes this.