1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

9mm or 40cal

Discussion in 'Handguns' started by chico13, Mar 18, 2012.

?

9mm or 40cal ?

1. 9mm

206 vote(s)
    67.8%
  2. 40cal

98 vote(s)
    32.2%
  1. KnifeTex

KnifeTex Loaded Pockets

This is the ultimate question without a correct answer. Just get both!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

2. Nightrain349

Nightrain349 Loaded Pockets

I vote 9MM, my reasons: magazine capacity, cost, availability of large quantities of Mil surplus, i think 9mm is more popular therefore better chance of being able to find someone trading 9mm. I havent heard of anyone saying i shot "it" 10 times with a 9mm but if I had a .40cal I wouldn't have had to...

3. Drewglynn

Drewglynn Loaded Pockets

I would have voted 9mm in the past .. But as far as the ammo situation is currently in my area I am unable to find any 9mm and don't want to shoot up any more of what I do have.. 40 and 45 do seem to be more available here at the moment though.. I wouldn't carry anything I wasn't able to put some rounds thru at least every month.. Stopping power is more about muscle memory and shot placement than caliber..

4. legoman0721

legoman0721 Loaded Pockets

I have a 9mm, but I voted for .40 because it's actually available even during crappy times like these. As for the stopping power debate, put hits on target and they'll stop the threat.

5. gooseman1991

gooseman1991 Loaded Pockets

Yeah .40's are about the only thing that is left over by the time I get to see what's in stock. I have no .40 so it does me no good though.

6. CSM-101
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

CSM-101 EDC Junkie!!!!!

I can't find any ammo around here at all, so I'll leave that alone. As to the question...

9mm: Better selection of ammo (^) more on-board rounds, lower recoil.
    .40: Larger bullet, better impact on target.

I only have one .40 (H&K USP Compact) and two 9mm's (Beretta 92FS and Glock 19). I shoot both the H&K and Glock better due to their size (the Beretta has a fat grip that is notoriously hard for people with smaller hands to shoot well). The .40 has a reputation for a "snappier" recoil, which I really don't think is as bad as some people let on, IMO (I started at age 16 with a .45 ACP, so the recoil never bothered me). I always answer the question "What size caliber should I carry" this way, carry the largest caliber that you can comfortably carry AND SHOOT well. Try both, if you can, and if you shoot the .40 well, get that. But if the 9mm is easier to control, go that way. In the end, if you can't hit the target with it, you shouldn't carry it.

7. SAKplumber
    • In Omnia Paratus

SAKplumber EDC Junkie!!!!!

According to the Lamestream Media the Dept of Homeland Security is stocking up on .40 cal...just sayin'

8. CSM-101
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

CSM-101 EDC Junkie!!!!!

9. SAKplumber
    • In Omnia Paratus

SAKplumber EDC Junkie!!!!!

I guess I should correct that. The Mainstream Media tells us nothing.

Norseman, AV8R, Melders and 3 others like this.
  10. CSM-101
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

CSM-101 EDC Junkie!!!!!

Truer words have never been spoken, my friend. :nah_disagree:

SAKplumber likes this.
  11. legoman0721

legoman0721 Loaded Pockets

I need multiple Like buttons for this post.

SAKplumber likes this.
  12. Slipjoint

Slipjoint Loaded Pockets

Where I'm at you can't get .40 either, so it's a moot point. :p

Overall, though 9mm is cheaper, more readily available, lighter, and the guns hold more rounds. While .40 theoretically holds an edge in power, modern 9mm combat ammo is so good that I don't feel there's enough going for the .40 to make it worthwhile to adopt another caliber.

13. Prison Mike

Prison Mike Loaded Pockets

I've got a Gen 3 Glock 22 and 27 and a Gen 4 Glock 17. I've put probably 20,000 rounds through the 22 and have never had a single failure (knock on wood). I got the 27 to be a backup but rarely carry it. My reasoning for this was to be able to use the same magazines if I were ever to lose my primary. Our department went away from the 17 because too many Officers were having catastrophic failures during critical incidents. The rounds were also over penetrating. I like them both. More rounds in the 17, lower recoil, cheaper to shoot, and you can get 33 round magazines. Even with the recent ammo shortages, I haven't had a problem finding .40. I personally don't think you can go wrong with either one. If you are putting rounds in the right place, it really doesn't matter what you get. JMO, but I voted for the .40 because it has been more reliable.

14. JackBauer2218

JackBauer2218 Loaded Pockets

I shoot a 9mm have since i started shooting , i like the .40 round but i prefer a 124g ammo

15. freedoom

freedoom Loaded Pockets

40 caliber produces a bigger shock wave inside the target causing more damage without over penetrating. 9mm doesn't have the mass to do as much internal damage. 45 has too much and can over penetrate and do less internal collateral damage. iraqvetteran8888 on youtube has a great video comparing calibers, in it they say that the 40 caliber and 357 magnum are the most likely to kill in one hit.

16. BigRob
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

BigRob Loaded Pockets

In my opinion I carry a 9mm usually in a Glock 19. However, I also own a Glock 22 and I do shoot it better. It is just harder to conceal. My best friend carries a Glock 23 and again I shoot it better than my 19 but the 9mm is nice for the extra ammo and the price. Either way I wouldn't want to be shot with either.

17. Blades

Blades Loaded Pockets

With the weapon or the round? Just wondering.

Huh? :confused:
    Are they talking about full metal jacket bullets only? I'll have to watch the video.

When I look at this picture, there isn't a lot of difference between the calibers when using JHP's:
    [​IMG]

18. tmedina

tmedina EDC Junkie!!!!!

*shrug* The notion of the "most fatal" bullet caliber is a heavily debated topic.

19. Blades

Blades Loaded Pockets

Watched the video, interesting. I think a few things they mentioned are out-dated, but overall good information.

20. Prison Mike

Prison Mike Loaded Pockets