1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

9mm or 40cal

Discussion in 'Handguns' started by chico13, Mar 18, 2012.

?

9mm or 40cal ?

1. 9mm

206 vote(s)
    67.8%
  2. 40cal

98 vote(s)
    32.2%
  1. jackknife

jackknife Loaded Pockets

The ugly truth is, no handgun is that great. And the hype and :censored: surrounding the .45 is amazing. I didn't think there was that many gun owners that gullible. Bottom line, if the bullet hits something vital, it'll work. If it doesn't, it won't. If the bullet takes out a vital organ, it won't matter if it was a .22, .25acp, 9mm, or .45, or an antigue elephant gun. People and gunshot wounds are too wildly unpredictable. In the Perry Stevens shooting, a .45 took 4 rounds to get the guy to stop beating the police officer to death, and the last one was behind the guys ear from a few feet. Yet a 9mm was enough to knock a 6 foot 185 pound Tryvon Martin off of George Zimmerman. Go figure.

I have no problem with a 9mm. Heck, I'll use a .22 if it's what I have.

locknload223 likes this.
  2. medic68

medic68 Loaded Pockets

W
    With seven kids I can understand the budget thing. There was a thread here recently about Glocks and which model to get. You could purchase a G23 in .40, purchase an OEM .357 barrel and that would give you both calibers to shoot/carry. If you wanted 9MM then you could add an aftermarket 9MM barrel in the future and that would effectively give you three calibers to use. I had an old LT who's favorite saying was "when it's time to go to work I'll be carrying my 1911 with 230 grain FMJ's"............ he was involved in several "go to work" encounters and never lost one. Personally in .45ACP I prefer HST's if available but would never feel out gunned carrying 230 FMJ's.

3. medic68

medic68 Loaded Pockets

Sir I have seen 125 pound 5'3" guys take NUMEROUS torso hits (zipping lungs, diaphragm and heart) and continue to fight. I would not personally carry anything smaller than 9MM in a pistol and .38 in a revolver. Shot placement isn't everything as history has shown us. The two shooters in the Miami FBI shootings were both "dead" after the initial contact. Both fought for several minutes before the fight was over and they had killed two agents and wounded the other five.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1986_FBI_Miami_shootout

4. J_C
    • In Omnia Paratus

J_C Loaded Pockets

I wonder if the OP ever made up his mind? He started this thread a year and a half ago and hasn't posted in it since.

5. BubbaFett
    • In Omnia Paratus

BubbaFett Loaded Pockets

I'm always amused when threads seem to keep going under their own power, way past the original poster/post. A few have been just the info I needed, however.

6. inanitydefined

inanitydefined Loaded Pockets

After looking at the data, the muzzle force of 9mm, 40, and 45s very close, between 450-520ftlbs with hot loads for all calibres floating at ~500ftlbs. At close range doesn't this translate to pretty equal force transference and ultimately, pretty equal lethality?
    Edit: 357sig is around 600ftlbs in hot loads. And there are a few 45acp that hard hitting but for the most part, muzzle force is equal in 9mm vs 40s&w.
    Am I wrong here? Perhaps someone who knows ballistics better than I can set me straight.
    And now I want a 357sig

Last edited by inanitydefined, Sep 2, 2013
  7. JohnN

JohnN Loaded Pockets

Handgun wound profile is just diameter and penetration. That's it.

Most high quality defensive ammunition will yield similar results.

Ignore the speed and energy of the various rounds and pick a vetted round from the following list:

http://www.ar15.com/ammo/project/Self_Defense_Ammo_FAQ/

-john

medic68 likes this.
  8. Matthew03

Matthew03 Loaded Pockets

Agreed, I always look at this thread in amazement; a key piece of info seemed to be lost at some point. This thread was started in search of a duty weapon and my advice from when I first posted, I still stand by: Get what everyone else on the team is carrying, commonality is more important in this situation than a single shot wonder bullet. Get the gun that allows commonality with mags/ammo between the team members. Being able to share resources and watch each others six is a great attribute over which the lone CCW'er has not; even if he is using nuclear 10mm rounds that disintegrate a 1/2 mile radius around the target.

socaldsal likes this.
  9. 11C1P
    • In Omnia Paratus

11C1P Loaded Pockets

Actually if you read the OP he said he was getting it for both personal protection and also to use at work. He never stated he was part of some large force. Most police forces issue a handgun for the people to use so if that were the case, he wouldn't be asking. Some departments may allow officers to pick out their sidearm, but that is usually with a certain caliber requirement as well, although sometimes for undercover work they might waive any caliber restrictions. Sounded to me like this might be either a plain clothes type carry while on duty, or an undercover weapon, that as he stated also wanted to use for off duty carry as well. So even if he is part of a larger force and the normal duty carry pistol is a large frame pistol, it would make sense that he might look for something different, and in a different caliber as well if he isn't happy with one or the other.

10. J_C
    • In Omnia Paratus

J_C Loaded Pockets

The OPs profile says he is a security officer. Probably had to provide his own on-duty weapon within some range of choices. I'm guessing that by now he made his choice. He hasn't posted in a while but maybe he'll tell us what he eventually went with.

swany66675 likes this.
  11. medic68

medic68 Loaded Pockets

The information in the article is very well put together. GREAT link!

12. Matthew03

Matthew03 Loaded Pockets

Security job, I still stand by my post.

13. 11C1P
    • In Omnia Paratus

11C1P Loaded Pockets

You've obviously never had a security job then.

14. Matthew03

Matthew03 Loaded Pockets

Y
    You make far too many assumptions.

15. Jeremy Henry

Jeremy Henry Loaded Pockets

40mm SMITH

Ronin101 likes this.
  16. ta2edff

ta2edff Loaded Pockets

Bro ! Simple get the .40 and buy a 9mm barrel and a couple 9mm mags ! Most gun manufactures use the same frame for their .40 and 9mm .

Thumbed from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

swany66675 likes this.
  17. 11C1P
    • In Omnia Paratus

11C1P Loaded Pockets

So do you.

18. zeke4351

zeke4351 Loaded Pockets

My choice would be a 10mm if I was able to carry what I wanted and didn't have to conceal. My second choice would be a .357 Sig with an original designed load in it. The 357 Sig has been proven to shoot through just about anything except the human body and there is where it stops and dumps lots of energy. [​IMG]

19. colubrid

colubrid Loaded Pockets

I carry a .45.

but I would definetly pick a 9mm because the .40 is just to snappy and loud.

I have a Glock 19 that sits in my car. The G19 is the best glock IMHO.

LSJones likes this.
  20. Lou_G

Lou_G Banned

I have to call shenanigans on that picture. It looks like someone Photoshopped a sideways mushrook cloud explosion into the 10mm picture. Seriously, there is a big flash of light in there and I'm supposed to buy that this is legit? Also, how is the 10mm bullet so big compared to the rest? Now, I'm not saying 10mm isn't a great caliber, but this picture smells fishier than Pike Place Market in Seattle.

All handguns are terrible for gun fights. They're just to use to fight your way to the rifle you would have brought if you knew you were going to get in a gun fight today. ;)