1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

9mm daily carry

Discussion in 'Handguns' started by Tx_Mark, May 16, 2014.

1. Stinger

Stinger Banned

OK, since everybody's showing their 9's, here's mine:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It's a third generation, Glock Model 19(RTF2). Fitted with a factory, '+' extension on the backup magazine, and a Pearce, '+ 0' finger extension on the installed magazine. The barrel is made by Bar-Sto Precision Machine. It's extended to 4.625 inches, and dual muzzle-ported for the type of fast shooting I prefer. People who've used this Glock on water jugs and other things tell me that, for a 9, it hits hard! (Seems that way to me, too; but, maybe, it's the ammunition.)

I'm a member of the, 'Never Fire Just Once' Club. Consequently, I've run a wide variety of self-defense ammo through this Glock: Speer, 124 grain, 'Gold Dots', and Federal Premium, '+P+'. 147 grain, Federal, 'Tactical HST'; and, of course, (one of my personal favorites) 124 grain, Fiocchi, 'Extrema, XTP'.

All of it has worked well. In fact the only 9mm ammo I haven't had good luck with - simply because it hits, 'too soft' - is the 115 grain, 'JHP', Remington, 'Green Box' that Wal-Mart sells.

thekapow likes this.
  2. photoman12001

photoman12001 Loaded Pockets

The bulk of my handgun collection is chambered in .22LR and 9mm. I've been trying several 9mm pistols out lately and discovered the S&W 3rd generation pistols recently. The 39XX pistols are awesome and I feel they are undervalued though their prices are steadily rising.

I own and highly recommend the following 9mm pistols for CCW:
    • S&W 3913 (Very accurate, very good trigger, easy to conceal)
    • S&W 3953 (Very accurate, superb trigger, easy to conceal)
      • After more trigger time this might become my primary CCW
      • I really feel it's one of the best 9mm CCWs ever made. Unfortunately it's lost to the ages and out of production.
    • Kahr K9 (my primary CCW, very good trigger, reasonably accurate but not as good as the S&W 39XX pistols, very easy to conceal)
    • SIG P239 (very good trigger, just big enough for comfortable shooting at the range/just small enough for CCW, very accurate)
    • SIG P938 SAS (very good trigger, super easy to conceal, a little snappy but totally manageable, very easy on the eyes)
    I also own or have owned these 9mm pistols, all of which would make fine guns to carry (except the Kimber I had):
    • HK P7 (Still own it; great trigger, super accurate, expensive/parts not easy to get)
    • HK P7M8 (Still own it; see above)
    • HK P30L (Sold; decided I don't like plastic pistols)
    • HK USP (Sold; decided I don't like plastic pistols and I couldn't shoot it well)
    • SIG P229R (Still have it; a great all-around pistol and the USSS carries it)
    • CZ 75 B Stainless (Still have it; it's just awesome in all ways)
    • S&W 5906 (Still have it; a high-value pistol on today's market but it does have a HUGE grip)
    • Kahr MK9 (Sold; the K9 was better for me in all regards)
    • Kimber Pro Tactical II (Sold; very accurate but jam-o-matic)
    • Glock 19 (Sold; decided I don't like plastic pistols but definitely one of the best all-around 9mm pistols made)
    • Glock 26 (Sold; decided I don't like plastic pistols)
    • Beretta 92G (Sold; too big)
    • SIG P228 (Still have it; one of the best 9mm pistols made, awesome in all regards)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited by photoman12001, May 19, 2014
    Auxiliaryjohn, Shike, Dorian and 6 others like this.
  3. Stinger

Stinger Banned

Yes, indeed! A beautiful, very useful collection of pistols, photoman! I, particularly, like the P7's.

4. Wishoot

Wishoot Loaded Pockets

Couldn't agree more. I would love to get my hands on a 39xx S&W one of these days (and I'm typing this as I'm on hold with S&W customer service at this moment).

The 39xx series has really gone up in price and you'd be challenged to find one around here for under $400. I could kick myself for not picking one up for $299 a couple of years ago.

Bought a Shield. Kind of like it so far, but I'm not enjoying their customer service at the moment.

5. THX2008

THX2008 Loaded Pockets

Seconded.

6. photoman12001

photoman12001 Loaded Pockets

The 3913 is DA/SA. The DA pull is pretty good, the single action is awesome. It's reset is almost 1911 short. I lucked into it locally for $475 LNIB with original box/papers and two factory mags. Based on current Gunbroker prices that was a pretty good price.

The 3953 is a DAO and its trigger is almost perfect for a CCW. The pull is consistent like a Glock or Kahr (both striker-fired) but the feel is better. The 3953 hammer sits at a halfcock so the trigger pull is short and not too heavy. Getting consistent hits with it is easy. The only drawback compared to a regular DAO is that you lose the second pull ability if the round doesn't go off. The slide must come back to reset the hammer at halfcock or the firing mechanism is not engaged. Of course Glocks/Kahrs also don't have a second strike capability. Unfortunately, the 3953 is not easy to find. There aren't nearly as many out there are the 3913s. I lucked into mine in great condition on Gunbroker for $440 after all fees. It only included one magazine and no box/papers but I was glad to get it.

Notice in this photo how much farther to the rear the trigger rests on the DAO 3953 (chrome trigger). It has a much shorter stroke than the 3913's DA pull.
    [​IMG]

I'm sorry to hear about your poor experience with S&W customer service. I've had good luck with them over the years. In the past few months I've sent them a 63-5 and 627-5 for work and they've treated me right. Good luck.

Last edited by photoman12001, May 20, 2014
    Shike likes this.
  7. Wishoot

Wishoot Loaded Pockets

We'll see. I was on hold with S&W for about 30 minutes and got through to someone who may be helpful. If he comes through for me, all is forgiven.

8. J_C
    • In Omnia Paratus

J_C Loaded Pockets

I prefer Federal HST 124+p or 147 non+P. Speer Gold Dot 124 or Winchester Ranger T is also good. Cost per box of 50 is usually under $30 (plus shipping if you buy online, which I do). Shipping costs for one box can be pretty significant ($12 for example) so it's best to combine an order for practice ammo (which you will normally buy multiple boxes of) with your service ammo to spread out the shipping cost (10 boxes may only be $18 total for shipping, or $1.80 per box).

9. scbubba
    • In Omnia Paratus

scbubba Loaded Pockets

I EDC a Sccy CPX-2. 10+1 plus a spare mag.
    I've been carrying it with Remington Golden Saber 124gr JHP (standard not +P).

I've recently been looking for some Federal HST 147gr (standard pressure) based on how well it seems to perform from shorter barrel pistols. When you have a second, go check out ShootingTheBull410 over on Youtube and look at his 9mm Ammo Quest series.

Here's the vid for his Federal HST 147gr testing

10. BubbaFett
    • In Omnia Paratus

BubbaFett Loaded Pockets

Dang, reading this I just realized I need to find someplace to buy online. I just spent a decent penny on HST in the 20ct boxes because that's all I ever find.

11. thegamettt

thegamettt Loaded Pockets

Remington golden saber 124+p for my sig and HST 147 gr for the shield.

12. 70dart

70dart Loaded Pockets

Been packing a Springfield XDs 3.3 as of late loaded with Gold Dots.

Robert

13. Jonb74

Jonb74 Loaded Pockets

Hornady Critical Defense 115gr in my PM9. I'd prefer 124 grain, but couldn't find it anywhere at the time. Ammo is starting to become available again (as are reloading components) so I'll grab some 124's when I can find them.

14. ern1911

ern1911 Loaded Pockets

9mm Luger +P 115 Bonded Jacket Hollow
    Check out the underwood ammo website--- they sell the best preforming ammo for the money

15. dewildeman

dewildeman Loaded Pockets

Gold Dot and Golden Saber are the only 2 I can vouch for. Ammo to avoid: reloads and anything with a name like "The Elimintator", "Widow Maker", etc.

16. BubbaFett
    • In Omnia Paratus

BubbaFett Loaded Pockets

Any particular reason for 147 gr in the Shield? I have the 124 gr HST in mine, but my knowledge on ammo choice is pretty limited.

17. thegamettt

I like the combination of terminal performance and controllability, and theoretically since it's slower it will lose a smaller percentage of velocity out of a short barrel. I tried out a couple of different weights and brands and I seemed to shoot best with that. It's less loud too IMHO. Either way any modern defense ammo will do the job as long as you do yours.

BubbaFett likes this.
  18. BubbaFett
    • In Omnia Paratus

BubbaFett Loaded Pockets

I hear you, just thought you might know something about it I don't. 147 is probably quieter because it's subsonic, yes?

thegamettt likes this.
  19. thegamettt

Yes sir! I don't know much about ammo either besides reading caliber war threads lol. It's best to just try and find out what performs best in your own gun. I think I tried pretty much everything and I'm a bit more accurate with the heavier bullet.

BubbaFett likes this.
  20. spinaltapper

spinaltapper Loaded Pockets

federal hst 147 grain!