1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

91mm SAKs vs 84mm SAKs

Discussion in 'MultiTools and Other Pocket Tools' started by flatline, Aug 29, 2015.

1. GeneralGlenn

GeneralGlenn EDC Junkie!!!!!

Well said. That might be the case. I prefer not having serrations anyway, so I ground them off
    [​IMG]

Swe_Nurse likes this.
  2. znapschatz

znapschatz Loaded Pockets

Looking good! Nice job! Did you give it a V bevel as well or leave it as chisel?

Last edited by znapschatz, Sep 30, 2015
    GeneralGlenn likes this.
  3. madlag

madlag Banned

after having and using an 84 its tough picking up a 91 again. the cadet alox is in league of its now for minimalist. I just can't bring myself not to have a swiss champ in my bag though...

fourSAK and GeneralGlenn like this.
  4. GeneralGlenn

GeneralGlenn EDC Junkie!!!!!

Gave it a V. Around 25/25 with a 20/20 secondary. A quick strop and its good to go:D

Don't like chisel grinds much to be honest.

madlag likes this.
  5. Flying Dutchman

Flying Dutchman Loaded Pockets

It doesn't see a lot of hard use so sharpening has not been an issue yet. I have a knife shop close by that sharpens (well) for a couple bucks per tool and will negotiate down if you bring in a few, so thats typically my MO.

madlag and GeneralGlenn like this.
  6. znapschatz

I felt the same way after replacing my Tinker with a Sportsman II for that kind of carry. However, I am having to rethink the matter after this morning using the can opener on a thicker than usual gauge lid. It was clearly a strain on the combo tool pivot and harder on my hand than the Tinker, which I had used for this job many times without any issue.
    So, once again, I relearn that even though the 84 mm SAKs are so sweet in the pocket, there is still no substitute for mass.

GeneralGlenn and madlag like this.
  7. flatline

flatline Loaded Pockets

Well, whatever you use has to be suitable for your needs. I open a can with a SAK once, maybe twice a year, but none of them have been particularly robust like what you've described.

When you say "combo tool", do you mean the tool that comes on the Bantam or Compact? Or are you referring to the regular can opener tool as found on the Cadet or Spartan?

GeneralGlenn likes this.
  8. znapschatz

In this instance, the regular can opener tool, which is also a screwdriver. I take the term "combo tool" to mean any implement designed to do more than one function.

GeneralGlenn likes this.
  9. Ironside

Ironside Loaded Pockets

84 all the way. With no clip for me about the knife sitting in the bottom of a pocket. Noticeably smaller but still decent size for EDC tasks. Usually its a Bantam or Lumberjack.
    I especially like the 74mm Executive specifically, as I find its up to most light jobs and has decent scissors too and disappears in a pocket.
    [​IMG]

GeneralGlenn likes this.
  10. Nenavist

Nenavist Loaded Pockets

I am a fan of the 84 mm size . I really love the 84's with scissors the most! I wish Victorinox would start making those again.

11. c99camper

c99camper Loaded Pockets

I recently purchased another Tourist after gifting my first one to a friend last year.

It's the smallest SAK that contains tools I get a lot of use out of that is still small enough to carry daily with little effort.

I've been keeping it clipped to either my keys or my wallet, which is on a P7.

[​IMG]

313 likes this.
  12. thatotherguy

thatotherguy EDC Junkie!!!!!

I prefer the size of the 84mm knives in pocket- I carried a Recruit for several years as a backup-to-the-backup in my front left pocket- but in hand I actually prefer the 93mm Alox... my Pioneer is my favorite SAK so far.

I also like the 91mm knives in hand, but the only one I have (Super Tinker) is a layer too thick for me to carry comfortably.

Cellidor is also not my preferred material... it gets beat up and gouged much too quickly for my liking. Alox holds up to mingling with the other contents of my pockets much better.

13. kottskrapa

kottskrapa Loaded Pockets

I have had several SAK'a in different sizes but my latest over all the others.. It is an 84 mm tinker, had to give up the scissors but it is worth it

It's not failure if you learn something from it

14. 313

313 Uber Prepared

For loose pocket carry there's a real difference between 91 and 84mm.. I carried a Vic Tourist for a decade in my jeans' pocket, but always opted for a bigger model when there's the possibility of jacket pocket or backpack carry. Now I have an alox cadet which disappears in the pocket even with a leather pouch, whereas something like a Tinker I can feel there all the time. Still prefer the 91mm's whenever possible, but not for loose pocket carry.

c99camper likes this.
  15. Moshe ben David

Moshe ben David Loaded Pockets

Try using something like a P-7 dangler with either size. I find it makes a huge difference in my pocket.

Moshe ben David

313 likes this.
  16. 313

313 Uber Prepared

Can't find any P7's over here, would like one though. I use the Victorinox belt clip to carry the larger SAK's whenever I feel like doing so.

17. Moshe ben David

Sorry; didn't notice your location. Can you order via Amazon? They have them; at least here in the US a good deal on a two-pack. I think you can also order through the edc forum store....!

I just checked: the EDC Forum store does have the two pack; US$20. Same as Amazon. Worth it, IMHO!

Moshe ben David

313 likes this.
  18. 313

313 Uber Prepared

Sweet, thanks for the tip!

19. Moshe ben David

Glad to be of help!

Moshe ben David