1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

91mm SAKs vs 84mm SAKs

Discussion in 'MultiTools and Other Pocket Tools' started by flatline, Aug 29, 2015.

1. flatline

flatline Loaded Pockets

Do most folks like 91mm better than the smaller 84 or 85mm knives?

The 84mm Victorinox and 85mm Wenger swiss army knives feel way better in my hand (and pocket) than the 91mm Victorinox knives. However, Wenger is no more and Victorinox doesn't seem very interested in the 84mm line, so I suppose I'm an outlier.

GeneralGlenn likes this.
  2. gingerninja

gingerninja Loaded Pockets

Wengers arnt being made anymore but there are still some out there

GeneralGlenn likes this.
  3. flatline

flatline Loaded Pockets

Yeah, Victorinox is still making some of the Wenger models, but only with the Evo and EvoGrip scales...which I don't happen to like.

I've been picking up old Wenger knives on the auction site when I see a good deal, but am still waiting to get a Classic 16 (like a Traveler, but with screwdriver instead of corkscrew).

Actually, does anyone know if I could put classic scales on an Evolution or EvoGrip knife?

GeneralGlenn likes this.
  4. c99camper

c99camper Loaded Pockets

I generally prefer the the 91mm Vics, but the small Tinker and Tourist are great knives.

As for Wenger, my first SAKs were made by them and I really like their 85mm size, but generally not their tools and combinations when compared to Victorinox's.

GeneralGlenn likes this.
  5. neverused

neverused Loaded Pockets

I usually prefer the 84mm models, I carry a Cadet everyday, though I have been known to add in the occasional 91mm or 93mm alox from time to time.

Sent from my LG-VS980 using Tapatalk

GeneralGlenn likes this.
  6. comma8 comma1

comma8 comma1 Loaded Pockets

I "upgraded" my Tinker to a Tinker Small years ago.

I agree with the better feel in hand and pocket

GeneralGlenn likes this.
  7. flatline

flatline Loaded Pockets

I was lucky enough to get an older Small Tinker without the key ring attachment (hate those!). It slips right into my pocket and is very comfortable to use. It's my favorite Vic model right now. If I could get my hands on a Small Climber or a Salesman (small Super Tinker), I think I'd probably never need to buy another SAK for carry.

It is currently my opinion that a 3-layer 84mm or 85mm SAK is about the ideal size. I've got an old wenger Traveler that I got for $1 + shipping and it is awesome. I'm following the auction site for a less beat up one for a good price or a classic 16. I've got a Classic 18 which, even though my brain tells me that 4 layers is too much, it's actually quite comfortable to pocket carry and to use.

comma8 comma1 and GeneralGlenn like this.
  8. charlie fox

charlie fox Loaded Pockets

The new Evo styles combine the best parts of the Vic and Wenger lines, specifically the clip point small blade!

GeneralGlenn likes this.
  9. charlie fox

charlie fox Loaded Pockets

The new Evo styles combine the best parts of the Vic and Wenger lines, specifically the clip point small blade!

GeneralGlenn likes this.
  10. flatline

flatline Loaded Pockets

I've got me a Victorinox EvoGrip 16. It's got the Victorinox awl and can opener, but the Wenger scissors and blade. I love the tools, but don't care for the EvoGrip scales. I think I'd much prefer a Classic 16 if I get lucky enough to find one.

GeneralGlenn likes this.
  11. 0dBm

0dBm Loaded Pockets

I managed to find and acquire a Wenger Evowood S557. I prefer that size and features to any of the Vic models.

GeneralGlenn likes this.
  12. fourSAK

fourSAK Loaded Pockets

My long time favorite has been 91mm Tinker. I usually edc a Waiter (84mm). The waiter fits better under one of the three left side loops in my Maxpedition micro. They're both great knives but my big hands fit the 91mm best.

GeneralGlenn likes this.
  13. Swe_Nurse

Swe_Nurse Loaded Pockets

I have both and my preference is probably the 91 mm ones as they fit better in my hand, they are not too much bigger or bulkier and mine have the tools I usually want.

That said the 84 mm tools are great, especially the ones with alox scales (cadet, bantam, voyageur) that are thinner, lighter and still very versatile tools. I still love my old (pre-1985) small tinker and regularly carries it.

GeneralGlenn likes this.
  14. Safetyfast

Safetyfast Loaded Pockets

The Alox Bantam is my favorite suit pocket carry. Unfortunately, the tend to slip out of my pocket. It's too bad they have discontinued it. I would like to see it come back with a key chain loop.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GeneralGlenn likes this.
  15. flatline

flatline Loaded Pockets

Is it discontinued? I've recently noticed several for sale that claim to be new on the auction site.

GeneralGlenn likes this.
  16. ManVsLawn

ManVsLawn EDC Junkie!!!!!

I generally prefer the larger SAKs. The 3 layers are better sizes for my hands and pockets.

2 or less, they get too thin/slim, and I feel like I'll lose them.

Farmer and/or Harvester is about perfect.

GeneralGlenn likes this.
  17. Safetyfast

Safetyfast Loaded Pockets

I just bought one. I assume it's just leftover stock as victorinox only lists the plastic scale version.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GeneralGlenn likes this.
  18. flatline

flatline Loaded Pockets

I saw mention in another thread of rumors of alox models with scissors coming soon. If they make an 84mm model with scissors, I'm in!

GeneralGlenn likes this.
  19. Swe_Nurse

Swe_Nurse Loaded Pockets

That would be great, I would definitely buy a cadet with scissors. There used to be one alox SAK with scissors, the Victorinox voyageur but it has been discontinued for many years, this was back in the old days of alox, before the fairly recent "revival".

GeneralGlenn likes this.
  20. flatline

flatline Loaded Pockets

The reluctance to add scissors to models baffles me. Scissors are far and away the most useful SAK tool for me, even more than the blade. Having large scissors on a smaller frame is why I started collecting Wenger models over Victorinox models.

GeneralGlenn and Swe_Nurse like this.