1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

$650 Mini Griptilian?!?!?

Discussion in 'Knives' started by baja820, Apr 30, 2014.

1. rsitter

rsitter EDC Junkie!!!!!

anyone who has ever spent more than $400 on a pocket knife.......this is your fault! if it wasn't for people spending entire paychecks on glorified letter openers, no one would think to charge this much money for a couple ounces of metal. its not just benchmade, in fact, its not benchmade at all, they're just gettin their slice. its all these custom nut jobs that are so full of themselves they bang on a piece of metal for a while untill it looks somewhat like a knife and then sell it for hundreds or thousands of dollars. and then you all just gobble it up.

' oh well this fancy fella made a custom box cutter!! you know, for cutting cardboard!!!! ahhhhhh! take all my money!!!!!'. jesus.

most people justify their purchases by regurgitating the consumers motto: 'its my money, i'll buy what makes me happy!'

ok, well why rip on benchmade for giving people that opportunity??

microbe and farnorthdan like this.
  2. ausgebombt

ausgebombt Loaded Pockets

@KeyeEl @baja820 that is not a bad option but if you look at it from a collector's standpoint (which I am not a collector, I am a user) the Benchmade with factory Ti scales is going to hold its value better than aftermarket scales.

baja820 and trickcunningham like this.
  3. ausgebombt

Lol around these parts, those words might mean war. I do agree that the market certainly allows for its own extrapolation and this is something I struggle with frequently when trying to justify a purchase... luckily I can usually talk myself out of it. But there is always going to be a struggle between actual value and collector/want value.

Add: I do however see this "custom/collector" marketing tool getting a little ahead of itself sometimes. I have seen "custom copper kiridashis" on certain custom knife sites selling for $200+... sounds great at first until you look at it and realize someone just took a copper plate, literally beat on it with a hammer, cut it with some tin snips, and put a rough edge on it and called it a "custom kiridashi." The custom knife world like the custom anything world definitely needs to be navigated with a grain of salt and a skeptical eye.

horgerg and rsitter like this.
  4. trickcarey

trickcarey EDC Junkie!!!!!

Yes, Ti aftermarket scales can be had but it isn't the same. Those scales are awesome. I'll agree with others, if it had a custom makers name it'd be considered "reasonable" by most knife people. Though lets face it, to non knife people even an 80 grip is too expensive!

5. baja820

baja820 Loaded Pockets

Lol yeah, I showed my brother in law a mini griptilian a few months ago and I told him I paid $80 for it. He was like "Eighty bucks!?!..... for that!" Hes not a knife guy I just thought if you only knew how much ive spent on blades and multitools. Lol

ausgebombt likes this.
  6. Karmakanic

Karmakanic Loaded Pockets

BarksAtCats likes this.
  7. ausgebombt

Agreed but being cost effective generally isn't how a collector chooses their items. If I am going to buy a knife to use, no I am not going to pay the extra $$ for the exclusive ownership privileges. But if I were to collect just to collect I am going to consider resale, rarity, and exclusivity above cost effectiveness.

BarksAtCats likes this.
  8. KeyeEl

KeyeEl EDC Junkie!!!!!

Why is everyone so riled up? :rolleyes:

I personally don't care what people spend their money on. I'm just saying that buying this particular knife, you'd be paying $250 for a convex grind, anodized hardware and the twill insert. If that is worth it and you have the money, go for it. I have to fight with myself all the time not to break the bank on fancier knives when my $30 Vic Compact does everything I need it to.

I'm not sure I buy the idea that this will hold its value better than the Wilkins. I sold my Ti M4 Mini for the same price I bought it for and that was after using it for a year. Knife collecting is a trendy business, though, so who knows?

docer likes this.
  9. baja820

baja820 Loaded Pockets

Im not riled up. I agree people can spend their money on what ever they want to. What keeps going through my mind is " a fool and his money will soon part ways." Lol

10. Edub
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

Edub Loaded Pockets

That's what I think too, every time I see these! People who can afford those knives don't generally do the type of work that would require such a specimen of a knife, right? Or am I just ignorant?

11. Edub
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

Edub Loaded Pockets

What exactly is it about these knives that makes them so expensive? Rarity? Materials? Both? Other?

12. baja820

baja820 Loaded Pockets

Value is an interesting thing. It comes down to this: the knife is worth what ever the market will support. its worth what you are willing to pay.

13. baja820

baja820 Loaded Pockets

Quality of materials and craftsmanship will certainly dive up costs... however $650 seems a bit much. Lol

14. hunter s gatherer
    • In Omnia Paratus

hunter s gatherer EDC Junkie!!!

Is there a collectors market for rare EDC? You know, 356 Porches, or Ming vases or something? If you are beating the stock market or other hard assets, and the market is fairly liquid, then go for it. Truly speculative and you gotta know when to unload.
    Just can't see it as a tool for sure; just a treasure.

15. Edub
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

Edub Loaded Pockets

Seriously, I can get a Glock, some extra mags, and some ammo for that price!

baja820 likes this.
  16. Ace Krampus

Ace Krampus Loaded Pockets

Word. Actual customs (vs. dolled up versions of a mid-range production knife/the cheapest Benchmade,) with similar materials go for less than $650. I don't even think its crazy to spend out the wazoo on a premium and/or exclusive knife, but I do think it has to look the part. This knife looks very much like a Mini Grip.

I also think that the earlier point someone had about Benchmade not operating at a loss doesn't necessarily fit the narrative of this knife and others like it. It's like the Lexus LFA situation. I doubt Lexus made money on that car but they used it to drum up sales of the volume models.

baja820 likes this.
  17. Evil D

Evil D Loaded Pockets

Seems to me they're just beating flippers at their own game.

brand0n likes this.
  18. zephyr11

zephyr11 Loaded Pockets

crazy prices? yes.

will people buy it? yes.

why? i don't know and don't really care.

i just buy what i like, not what they hype...

if it somehow crosses path, buy it or skip it, simple as that.

Liberteer likes this.
  19. Slayer2003
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner

Slayer2003 Loaded Pockets

I enjoy the fact it costs that much money, and you still get the crappy stamped coated clip. They couldn't even make it ti to match the rest of the knife, its coated.

Now I'm not saying I don't enjoy a lot of the Benchmade Gold class but some things, if you're gonna do it go all the way. There's many of the Gold lineup that i would personally LOVE to have for the collection. Like the 94x series, I have quite a few of them and a Gold class would just add to the set. But this thing seems like they knocked it out in an afternoon. I mean it's even got the default hardware. At least make a custom pivot pin/screw, or use tri-wing screws, or SOMETHING creative! Sheesh.

BarksAtCats likes this.
  20. JustinJ
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner

JustinJ Loaded Pockets

I've seen comparable/nicer (Carbon fiber handles, higher-end than g10 inlays) on bladehq and elsewhere for much lower prices. I suspect if someone were to shop around a bit, they'd find a better deal on the knife that started this thread.

as for who buys them, I suspect they are for the folks who really like Benchmade stuff.