1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

$650 Mini Griptilian?!?!?

Discussion in 'Knives' started by baja820, Apr 30, 2014.

1. baja820

baja820 Loaded Pockets

Gold class mini grip.

[​IMG]

2. baja820

baja820 Loaded Pockets

The Benchamde 556-141 Mini Griptilian features a patented AXIS lock mechanism, a DLC coated crowned CPM-M4 (62-64 HRC) drop point blade with hand polished convex edge, an anodized machined titanium handles with blue twill G10 inlays, DLC coated stainless steel liners, a split arrow reversible pocket clip, and blue anodized titanium barrel spacers and thumb lugs. This knife is limited to just 175 pieces, so be sure to secure yours today.

brand0n likes this.
  3. Ace Krampus

Ace Krampus Loaded Pockets

Totally mental. Do these Gold Class knives really sell? To who? The pricing is astronomical.

4. Wydern

Wydern Loaded Pockets

Bill Gates?

5. suburbDad

suburbDad Loaded Pockets

Please do not buy this. If they sell out of these, other manufacturers will flock to ridiculously high priced limited edition items too.

6. KeyeEl

KeyeEl EDC Junkie!!!!!

I know, right? I used to have a M4 mini grip with titanium Wilkins scales for $250 cheaper

zephyr11 and brand0n like this.
  7. rsitter

rsitter EDC Junkie!!!!!

seriously? its got all the same materials as your fancy 'custom' jobs, or semi-custom jobs....but no one wants to pay that kind of money for a 'production company knife', oh but if it had an exotic name on it, it'd be ok?

8. indigo_wolf

indigo_wolf AKA Breezy

More handwork, premium materials, and very limited production numbers.

Do they sell? Obviously they do. Benchmade currently produces 57 Gold Class knives. I seriously doubt they are looking to operate at a loss.

A Gold Class Osborne knife is $500

Just looked at a boutique site.... the cheapest custom Osborne knife was $2450. The most expensive one was $12,500.

All a matter of perspective. There's also someone willing to drop obscene amounts of money on stuff.

Got $119,000 burning a hole in your pocket? There's a Skyrunner out there with your name on it.

Just don't know what to do with the $700,000 dividend check?

You just might be the target demographic for the iPad Mini case made of 18K high polished white gold body set with 3,328 natural Ceylon blue sapphires with a total weight of 599cts and the Apple logo rendered in 50 round brilliant diamonds weighing a total of 5 cts.

[​IMG]

ATB,
    Sam

9. SpyderPrepper

SpyderPrepper Loaded Pockets

Yup, there are always people willing to spend big money on limited edition items. If you want some seriously expensive blades look at custom japanese kitchen knives, they make most custom pocket knives look like pocket change. And 175 pieces world wide is not very many pieces, whether it be by Benchmade or "X" custom maker.

RichinVA and brand0n like this.
  10. Kilted1

Kilted1 Loaded Pockets

For that price it's lubricated at the Mount Olympus factory with unicorn tears, right?

BarksAtCats, zephyr11, Gravy and 5 others like this.
  11. rkazooti

rkazooti Loaded Pockets

BarksAtCats, rsitter and Kilted1 like this.
  12. Westerdutch

Westerdutch Loaded Pockets

I used to own a 525-81. Truly beautiful little thing as far as a production knife goes but in my mind it was just too pretty and expensive to be properly used as a tool (lets face it, that's what it is) so i ended up selling it. I was a total safe queen and in great condition so i didn't lose a single buck on selling it but i did learn me a valuable lesson that knives at that price-point and above are just really not my thing. If you are a collector and just want to own your grail i can see how you would dash out any amount of money for it.... but i dont think a production benchmade will ever be anyone's grail (heck, for that kind of money you can almost get a regular grip, get any coating on the blade you want AND have some nice custom scales made).

edit added pic of my old pricey benchmade
    [​IMG]

OreoGaborio, Finnsk, zephyr11 and 4 others like this.
  13. horgerg

horgerg Loaded Pockets

In what way is it a worse deal than a second-hand Hinderer?

14. microbe

microbe EDC Junkie!!!!!

I suppose that steel at that HRC would have a very good edge retention, so it would be an excellent user. If only they put that blade in a regular mini-grip with slight higher markup, it would probably sell like hotcakes. As to this special editions design, it does not rock my boat.

zephyr11 likes this.
  15. Karmakanic

Karmakanic Loaded Pockets

In the UK conspicuous consumption is showing signs of devaluing certain brands.
    Ferrari automobiles, once the byword for high performance, are becoming known as 'footballers cars', i.e. mostly purchased by people with more money than sense.

Sriracha and hunter s gatherer like this.
  16. ausgebombt

ausgebombt Loaded Pockets

On a web forum that is consistently filled with pictures of rare, high-end, custom knives, flashlights and doodads I don't understand why this is causing such a stir...? Given the materials of the knife in the OP and the assumed quality, is it overpriced? Yes. Is it GROSSLY overpriced? No not at all. Heck I saw a Rexford R.U.T. go for over $300 on ebay recently. Or how about the $400 Medford Knives on Knifecenter that are essentially just a shaped chunk of D2 with a paracord handle? Is THAT one REALLY worth the price either??

I think the marketing here is simply "oh you really love mini-grips? what if you could get one in Titanium?!?!?" They know at least one person out there has been waiting for this exact opportunity to get his favorite knife made in much higher end materials. So not only is he willing to pay for the better materials but he's also willing to pay for the opportunity. I mean look at Atwood tools.... 80% of the secondary market price is based on WANT met with little supply. Benchmade is tapping into this understanding and applying it to the primary market. I don't blame them.

17. baja820

baja820 Loaded Pockets

I can can get an m4 mini grip with titanium scales for $350 less. Thats why I think its abit absurd.

18. ausgebombt

ausgebombt Loaded Pockets

Ok maybe I'm an idiot but where are you finding that?

19. KeyeEl

KeyeEl EDC Junkie!!!!!

I think his math is off but titanium Wilkins grips are $210 and M4 Mini Grips can be found for ~$200. I think regular limited release M4 mini grips actually sell for less than $200 from benchmade/dealers. So ~$400

20. baja820

baja820 Loaded Pockets

I got my m4 mini grip for about $150 I thought wilkins ti scales were closer to $150 so yeah.... $250 less.