1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

638 Bodyguard questions, opinions.

Discussion in 'Handguns' started by Medic7158, Oct 14, 2008.

1. Medic7158

Medic7158 Empty Pockets

I just bought a S&W 638 bodyguard. I took it straight to range and shot a couple boxes of ammo. I really love this gun. It's going to replace my PF9 for EDC.

Who else loves these guns? Any comments, things I should know?

Also, Is there a way to add some sort of night sight or red dot sight? It doesn't have a removable front aperture so, what kind of paint or modification can I do to make it stand out.

2. protaganis

protaganis Loaded Pockets

Some jewelers (custom watch manufacturers) might be able to provide a small amount of luminescent paint (same as the older mil-spec watches)
    That's what I did to several of my pistols and my shotgun sights. During the day you see a yellowish white stripe on the front post and two matching dots on the back notch. At night they glow, just bright enough that you can always see them.
    Or http://www.unitednuclear.com/glow.htm has some interesting glow paint. Other than that, talk to a highly recommended local gunsmith. They may have some other ideas.

As for the pistol, Don't have any experience with that model in particular, but S&W have always made good sidearms.

3. Rob72

Rob72 Loaded Pockets

Better than the sight paint:
    Mix a couple of drops of Testors high gloss white/orange/whatever you like in a nickle-sized dab of Devcon 2 ton epoxy. Apply to degreased front blade with a toothpick.

If you want "night sights", let the first coat dry, then lightly rough the top of the paint bead with a needle file or 400 grit wet/dry paper, then make another mix of Devcon with this: http://glowinc.com/SearchResult.aspx?CategoryID=3

Testor's white works best, as a base, IME.

4. greenLED

greenLED Empty Pockets

One more vote for glow paint from Glowinc.com It's the best "glow" solution, short of putting tritium sights on your gun.

5. DetroitMatt

DetroitMatt Empty Pockets

I have a 638 bodyguard and I love it. I love the unusual looks of it, I love the option of single action if I want it, the size is great, very concealable and very light. The +P gold dots make it a very nice and powerful in a very small package. I too wish it had better sights, but with such a short barrel, I believe it's manufactured purpose is very close quarters shooting. Even with it's rudimentary gutter sight system, I found it to still be very accurate for what it is.

Congrats! I hope you like it as much as I do.

PS: Those +P rounds are a handful!

6. Medic7158

Medic7158 Empty Pockets

Yes they are! I shot a box of Winchester 130gr, followed by the Speer 125gr +p - I noticed a bit of extra kick, but it wasn't terrible. This gun is a joy to shoot compared to the Kel-Tec PF9 I have.

I know it doesn't have the capacity of the modern autos, but I think 5 rounds of .38 +P aught to be enough to get me out of a jam.

7. KenpoTex

KenpoTex Loaded Pockets

Great tip...this is one of those times I kick myself for not thinking of something so obvious. I'll definitely have to do this since I get tired of re-painting every few months (just the paint alone doesn't hold up very well).

8. powernoodle

powernoodle Loaded Pockets

My carry gun (right front pocket) for quite a while has been a S&W 442 Airweight. For me its the best combo of carry-ability and cartridge. Plus, there's that revolver reliability.

[img width=640 height=480]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v455/powerpickle/Sept27.07005Medium.jpg[/img]

[img width=640 height=480]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v455/powerpickle/Sept27.07001Medium.jpg[/img]

9. sjcoote

sjcoote Empty Pockets

I decided to make this my first post. I have lurking here for a few weeks, reading and learning. I carried a 638 (Mi CPL) for a couple of years. I bought a CTC LG405 Laser grip off of Ebay, new for $210.00 I believe. I loved this gun! I did a stupid thing and sold it to buy an expensive Leupold scope for a new .300 wm rifle. I didn't have the extra money for the scope and really needed it. I purchased a Ruger LCP when they first came out and have been carrying that gun. I like it, but not as much as the 638. Oh well, lesson learned. Never get rid of guns!

Steve

10. Stelth

Stelth Banned

11. gadgetjunky

gadgetjunky Loaded Pockets

You can have the front sight milled off and a new one dovetailed in. This is not a cheap option though.

[​IMG]

Crimson Trace lasergrips are a nice addition. Do not think of them as a replacement for iron sights (the laser is much slower) but as an extra option for shooting in odd positions, when injured or sitting in a car or any other situation when I might be restricted in bringing up the gun to a normal aimed or point shooting position. They also tend to get a small gun a lot more respect. You never want to pull a gun to scare people, but if they rethink the moment and run off before you can shoot them that is a very good thing indeed.

[​IMG]

As far as ammo, most of the +p loads are just going to be ugly to shoot. The Crimson Trace grips shown above do take some of the sting out because of the air cavity in the rubber backstrap. I normally shoot Gold Dot 135+p in alloy guns and Federal Hydrashok 147gr +p+ in newer steel frame guns. Both expand violently, don't kick too bad and hit very close to point of aim in my guns. I have been debating some of the Buffalo Bore Heavy Standard Pressure loads, but haven't bought any yet. The hard cast 150gr full wadcutter gives a snubbie a LOT of penetration for times when thin-skinned 4-legged critters might be an issue.

12. Medic7158

Medic7158 Empty Pockets

WOW! Great Posts! Keep em coming.

Cool Site Stelth.

I think I will try the mix suggested by Rob72 that sounds like the best of both worlds.

13. Medic7158

Medic7158 Empty Pockets

OK, I already ordered the GID powder but, where can i find the testors paint? Do I have to just order it online, or is there a retailer that might sell it?

14. Rob72

Rob72 Loaded Pockets

;D "Walmart" in the model section. Hobby Lobby, or just about any other retailer selling models and spray paint will have it too. ;)

15. gadgetjunky

gadgetjunky Loaded Pockets

I used to paint my front sights with a mixture of fabric paint (that thick rubbery stuff that makes the raised lines on sweatshirts) and gel superglue. Get the ratio correct and you have a minute or so to get it where you want it. It used to set up so hard that you could file it to shape.

16. Medic7158

Medic7158 Empty Pockets

Ok, so i gave this a shot lastnight and i'm not sure if just got the mix wrong or if i was using the wrong paint, but all i did was make a mess and i got the pain all over the front site. All i could find at Walmart was an acrylic water based paint. Neither Ace Hardware, Target or Lowes had "Testors", so i guess i'll just order some.

17. Rob72

Rob72 Loaded Pockets

That would be the problem. If you haven't ordered yet, shoot me aPM with your address, I should still have a bottle of gloss white & maybe orange that aren't too old...unless you need a different color. ;)

18. JonSidneyB
    • Administrator

JonSidneyB Uber Prepared
    Staff Member

I think that revolver was an excellent choice.

There are some companies that will drill holes, line them with a rubber sleeve that has epoxy on it and insert tritium. I can think of how does it now but I know in the past several offered that service. The front sight can also be milled off and a dovetail put in place for sights that already are tritium loaded.

19. Medic7158

Medic7158 Empty Pockets

Thanks you very much for the offer, but I've already got some in the white on the way. :ty:

20. TRUENORTH

TRUENORTH Empty Pockets

Perfect choice for an EDC gun.
    The 638 is my 24/7 gun; in a RH front pocket carry using an Uncle Mikes pocket Holster. I use a speed strip for my reload. I urge everyone to fill the speed strip with six rounds even if the gun is a five shot; the extra could come in handy.
    On road trips I usually grab my extra EDC gun, a S&W 442 and put it in a heavy lined envelope beside me in my pickup or wifes car.
    Myn sights are bone stock, but someday I will probably add a twinkle of glow Paint.
    All in all a wise move on your behalf, buying the Perfect EDC gun.