1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

.5MM vs .7MM vs "Other"

Discussion in 'Pens, Pencils, Notebooks, and Notebook Covers' started by Navck, Apr 23, 2006.

?

What type of lead/graphite do you prefer in your mechanical pencils

1. 0.5mm

2 vote(s)
    33.3%
  2. 0.7mm

2 vote(s)
    33.3%
  3. Larger than .7mm

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Smaller than .5mm

1 vote(s)
    16.7%
  5. Very large types (3mm+ Crazy ones out there)

1 vote(s)
    16.7%
  1. carrot

carrot Loaded Pockets

Two that come to mind are Pilot Dr. Grip and Pentel Gizmo... Pentel Gizmo used to be my favorite mech. pencil because it had a tip that would automatically retract as you write... so you click less.

We used to have a store around here... it basically just sold stationary supplies (unlike Staples which sells a lot more other things) and it was THE place to go to for mech. pencils and pens... I wish I knew of a B&M place to get the oddball lead sizes.

2. GregY

GregY Loaded Pockets

I use free (work-provided) pens for pretty much everything nowadays... but back when I was a student-type I used .5mm for most everything. I used to have a collection of leads of different colors and hardness. The one thing I preferred .7 for was doing crossword puzzles, because with .5 if you press down at all it tends to tear newsprint.

3. Lugsalot

Lugsalot EDC Junkie!!!!!

Welcome to EDCF, GregY! :highfive:

I had the same problem with my cheapo Bic 0.5mm lead pencils tearing through the crosswords! My artist friends were frequently lending me their much superior mechanical pencils when there was a crossword puzzle I felt brave enough to tackle.

It's either that, or use pen...and end up with lots of scribbles! :laugh:

4. NeverReady

NeverReady Loaded Pockets

05 lead always breaks. 07 is what i have used for all this years for computations work. when its late at night doing calculus you don't want you :censored: pencil breaking.

5. Valerian

Valerian Tea-powered admin

I have a soft touch so I like a 0.3mm for writing with, and never broke the lead when actually writing. But every single time I'd put it in my pocket, backpack or whatever, the lead would break. Even inside the pen sometimes. So now I use 0.5mm pencils, which I like as well, and the lead (B or HB) doesn't break unless I drop the pen or something.

My dad was an engineer (the old-fashioned kind who used pencils to make technical drawings) and I inherited his pencil and accessory collection so I have way more pencils than I'll ever need. And some weird ones that I don't even know what they are for.

6. fod

fod Empty Pockets

I could not live without my big .9 but .7 will do in a pinch...

7. jag-engr
    • Administrator

jag-engr Semper Bufo!
    Staff Member

O.5 mm is the professional standard for draftsmen, engineers, and surveyors, but how hard a person bears down while writing is also a factor and may necessitate a 0.7mm lead. 0.3 mm lead is only for light, temporary "construction" lines.