1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

551-1 a worthy upgrade from 551?

Discussion in 'Knives' started by SkepticalTactical, Jun 4, 2016.

?

551-1 or 551

1. 551-1

44.4%
  2. 551

55.6%
  1. SkepticalTactical

SkepticalTactical Empty Pockets

Hello!

This post will have two sections: backstory (if you have time) and the actual question. The actual question is like a tl;dr for people that are very busy.

Backstory
    I'm a poor student who doesn't have a job that gives a steady income. I have been looking for a edc-folder that is well made and the company that made it has a great warranty and customer service. I buy almost all of my knives from lamia.com because it's Finnish company that offers a wide variety of knives with a free shipping. Griptilians have intrigued me for a while because almost every person who owns it have complimented it. When I was checking the BM Griptilian 551 out I noticed that there's a "premium" model 551-1 with "superior" steel and G-10 handle scales.

Actual question
    551-1 is about 100€ more than the normal 551, is it better option though?

2. leigh_ratcliffe

leigh_ratcliffe Loaded Pockets

Is it S30V or 154CM?
    Personally, if You want something better than a normal 551, consider a Rittergrip in S30V. I own both. 154CM is a good steel but S30V is outstanding.

3. SkepticalTactical

Lamnia.com doesn't sell it, 551-1 has CPM-20CV which is probably better than 154cm.

4. IHateBottleOpeners

IHateBottleOpeners EDC Junkie!!!!!

I'd say the regular 551 (in fact for my small hands, the 556 fits better) and also you can buy from ebay custom G10/micarta scales for $70, and you have the original scales, witch may have some use another time. Also 154CM is a good steel, won't chip (will roll instead) and is easier to sharpen. S30V is harder steel, it will (micro)chip and is a bit harder to sharpen. The steel choice may depend on your sharpening skills tho :).

SkepticalTactical and c99camper like this.
  5. gazz98

gazz98 Loaded Pockets

TBH, I'm not sure the G10 handles + better steel is worth an extra $114 USD or 100 Euros. The basic 551 is still a very good knife and should be fine for the EDC tasks you will run into. Given your current situation (student + no steady income), I'd vote for the regular 551.

6. TKC

TKC Loaded Pockets

I think the G-10 & CPM-CV20 are an excellent upgrade, and worth the extra $$.

7. c99camper

c99camper Loaded Pockets

I've never owned a knife with CPM-20CV, but I've owned Grips (I prefer the fullsize) in D2, 154CM, S30V and MS390 (the current steel used on the Ritter grips).
    Unless you just want the G10 or like upgraded steels, I would go with the regular grip. I like 154CM; it's easy and quick to sharpen and holds it's edge just fine for a daily carried tool.
    G10 handles can always be added later.

Given your stated financial situation I would get the regular version.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

SkepticalTactical likes this.
  8. SkepticalTactical

Thank you all for your wise and kind answers! I haven't received this kind of "fellowship" in any other place than this forum.

Edit: removed unnecessary line of text (about giving rep)

9. 017

017 Loaded Pockets

Even factoring in the blade steel, I'm not convinced the 551-1 is worth the premium over the "regular" 551 version, even more so that there is a (huge) 100 Euro price difference.

I might be in the minority, but I'd take the injection moulded Noryl GTX polymer scales over G-10 any day.

c99camper likes this.
  10. straitr

straitr Loaded Pockets

Value, ie upgraded steel and scales, are purely a matter of individual perspective. 154cm and Noryl GTX scales are quite serviceable, and there are copious amounts of happy 551 owners to vouch for it.

The standard 551 would be my recommendation.