1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

~$500 watch recco

Discussion in 'Watches' started by ketchupgun, Jun 15, 2016.

1. ketchupgun

ketchupgun Loaded Pockets

40 years old now...maybe I should get a new watch to commemorate.

I've been thinking of the Hamilton Khaki Field Watch.

I'd like to get something that's Automatic, Field watch looking..maybe Divers, but not really. Day and/or Date is a must. Numerals. 24Hr is nice too.

Step right up and state some EDCer opinions...I'm all ears.

FYI: this is to be a semi-formal kinda everyday watch...I'm a wedding/commercial photographer...so my usual attire is shorts/jeans/slacks and collar...depending on the shoot.

2. Jonb74

Jonb74 Loaded Pockets

Hamilton are nice - on my wish list.

I have been wearing my Seiko SKX007. It's a dive watch, but I replaced the rubber strap with a black 'kevlar' type with off-white stitching. Very sharp and can easily go with any attire short of a suit/tie or tux. Same watch looks great on a leather strap as well.

jcombs and ketchupgun like this.
  3. jcombs

jcombs Loaded Pockets

The Hamiltons are very nice, I am looking at a Steinhart diver at the moment

B.Haven and ketchupgun like this.
  4. Westerdutch

Westerdutch Loaded Pockets

Check out Seiko, great watches especially at their price-range. They have quite a few day-date automatics.

ketchupgun likes this.
  5. twoisone
    • In Omnia Paratus

twoisone EDC Junkie!!!

I have an Armida diver with an ETA movement and it has gained only about 70 seconds in six months. Great watch, IMHO.

ketchupgun and jcombs like this.
  6. Spliced249

Spliced249 Loaded Pockets

I'm eyeing one of those Seiko SKX007's. Can anyone recommend a reputable online watch dealer?

7. andy3101

andy3101 Loaded Pockets

You take it the wrong way. Normally, you fall in love with a watch. Then the price drives you nuts - and you buy it anyway.

Zoop likes this.
  8. YankeeHotelFoxtrot

YankeeHotelFoxtrot Loaded Pockets

A watch similar to the Hamilton is the Seiko SARG005 Field Watch. IT has day/date and chronograph functions. It has a tan/cream face with both 12 & 24 hour markings on the dial, as does the Hamilton. These are both beautiful watches! Here is a link to the Seiko:

https://www.amazon.com/SEIKO-Mechanical-Sports-Automatic-SARG005/dp/B00G9XRY92

I'd be elated with either one! :bounce:

Good luck and let us know what you get.

9. Jonb74

Jonb74 Loaded Pockets

Amazon , ebay, occasionally you will see them at sites like jomashop, world of watches, etc. When I was looking a lot of the watch sites didn't have them in stock. Skywatches had them (based in Singapore, but legit. I got my Orange Monster from them).

I got my SKX007 from a Rakutan (like ebay in Asia) shop that was recommended on Watch U Seek forums. I lucked out in that there was a ~$30 credit being offered for new users of Rakutan. So I paid $150 total with shipping from Malaysia. Amazon has them for around 200-230 plus you get Amazon's no hassle return/customer satisfaction guarantee.

10. jdcovington1122

jdcovington1122 Loaded Pockets

There are some shinola watches that come in just over your budget at $550, but its a made in the usa watch.

11. B.Haven

B.Haven Loaded Pockets

[​IMG]

Received an Ocean 1 GMT Ceramic this past week... It's lost 1 second in 5 days. Pretty impressive for an inexpensive-ish watch. Quality and finish are great.

I've literally ordered 3 more within a week I'm so impressed. One for the wife and I in Green bezel, and the handwind bronze NavB.

You won't be disappointed.

--
    B.Haven

jcombs likes this.
  12. jcombs

jcombs Loaded Pockets

I have gone back and forth on these and several others. I think I have decided to wait for a Squale 1521, blue bezel and dial. Their a bit more than I want to spend but I really like them. I bought a Seiko Monster a few months ago and a Citizen Chrono just today that I don't think I will like and will probably be flipped. I will buy a G Shock Rangeman but haven't found the deal I want yet. Your Steinhart looks very nice and I may end up with one, maybe the Titanium diver. The name escapes me, Apollo maybe. They are a lot of watch for the dough. Congrats.

B.Haven likes this.
  13. mrsleeve

mrsleeve Loaded Pockets

For the 500 price point your going to be hard pressed to beat a Stiney. I the same one pictured above 18 months ago and its only been off my wrist for a 3-5 days at a time and then only a hand full of times.... My next watch is going to their Ti Ocean 500 and its only a touch over your budget after import duties

Any of the divers will dress up or down to go with what ever you are doing. They are really solid and very good quality for the price point. I tend to think the GMT/Ocean 1 line tend to lend themselves to the dressing a little further up the formal attire ladder a little better than the Ti 500, but not much.......

https://www.steinhartwatches.de/en/premium-line/ocean-titanium-500-premium.html

B.Haven likes this.
  14. twoisone
    • In Omnia Paratus

twoisone EDC Junkie!!!

What did you end up with Kethup?

15. B.Haven

B.Haven Loaded Pockets

The GMT Vintage is just over budget as well, and is another great option.

http://www.gnomonwatches.com/ocean-gmt-vintage

--
    B.Haven