1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

$50.00 folder recommendation

Discussion in 'Knives' started by Grateful, Jul 27, 2014.

1. Grateful

Grateful Loaded Pockets

Sorry if you all are tired of these types of questions, just thought I would try to get some suggestions for a edc folder that can be carried clipped to a jeans pocket then be comfortably slipped into a Dickies style work pants pocket for at work carry. I would use it for normal everyday stuff both at work an outside of work. Also would see some woods walking, lite outdoorsy use.
    I always carry a sak or slip-joint so this will be an in addition to knife, because I am a knife nut and because I like having a one handed opener sometimes. I currently have a all stainless Delica 4 and love it, just wanting another one for a little variety.
    I have been looking at folders to buy for a couple of weeks. The Kershaw leek look like it might be a good choice and I like the design and looks of the Cold Steel American Lawman but I'm not sure how well it would really suit my needs.
    So anybody have any thoughts or suggestion? Any experience that you would like to share with the Leek or Lawman?

Jim

gemini likes this.
  2. de Vries
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

de Vries EDC Junkie!!!

RAT1 or the RAT2, depending how big you want it to be. For the money I think it's one the best no nonsense knives out there.

3. indigo_wolf

indigo_wolf AKA Breezy

Most of the suggestions you get are going to be based on the personal bias of posters.

Honestly, a better way might be to go to the KnifeCenter website, type "Folder" in the search bar and then use the left hand column to filter by knives in the $40-$60 dollar range. You can also further filter by Country of Origin or Brand.

Not suggesting that you have to buy from KnifeCenter, but their search tools are nice for filtering when you are searching for a new knife and are a little bit fuzzy about what you want.

ATB,
    Sam

MrOG, powerring, GrayMouser and 3 others like this.
  4. waveburn

waveburn Loaded Pockets

Search in the bay for buck odyssey sandvik. They are not in production anymore but are super light weight and have a great steel and are made in the US. I really like blade shape and ergos of the knife.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

FL Woods Bum and gemini like this.
  5. Landonson

Landonson Loaded Pockets

Rat1 or rat2 is the biggest bang for your buck.

6. atilano

atilano Loaded Pockets

The RATs are nice. For pocket carry I'd probably go with a RAT 2. Kershaw's are awesome too. Love their Speedsafe assisted opening. Perhaps a Cryo or Cryo 2.

FL Woods Bum, gemini and Adahn like this.
  7. Colorodo

Colorodo Loaded Pockets

Esee folding knives are a good deal also. Zancudo.

FL Woods Bum, atilano and gemini like this.
  8. Adahn

Adahn Loaded Pockets

Hmm, you know it's not good for my wallet that you put another knife on my wish list? You know it, don't you??? :frantic:

gemini likes this.
  9. waveburn

waveburn Loaded Pockets

Most of my knives are mid and high end but I fell in love with the oddyssey as soon as I took it out of the box. Did I mention it is like melted butter on ice smooth? Yup it is!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

gemini and Adahn like this.
  10. yo mama

yo mama Loaded Pockets

So it's biased if you have a blade, tried it out, loved it, and recommend to others? Your way you would cover your eyes and just pick one? You have quite a selection to choose from at that price range, including a lot of garbage blades. Oh wait, and isn't that the reason we have a forum?

OP, the following are in your price range, and I guess I'm biased toward them:

Buck Vantage (avid in your price range)
    Spyderco Delica
    Leatherman Sidekick has a clip for the pocket, and I can't leave home without mine
    Buck 110 (50th anniversary) (no belt clip, but comes with sheath for the belt that works so good)

Last edited by yo mama, Jul 27, 2014
    powerring, Adahn and gemini like this.
  11. PBJS II

PBJS II Loaded Pockets

Find an Academy store. Many/Most of them have a good selection of Kershaw.

I rather love my Thermite Blackwash but it's rather big. Cryo ain't too shabby neither.

gemini likes this.
  12. jon1all

jon1all Loaded Pockets

Cold Steel Recon 1 (if you can find it on sale... I recently got the clip point version for $42)
    Cold Steel Code 4 (might be a touch over $50)
    Cold Steel American Lawman
    Ontario RAT 1 or 2
    Ontario Utilitac II
    Kershaw Injection 3.0 or 3.5
    Kershaw Cryo or Cryo2
    Kershaw Thermite
    Spyderco Tenacious line (whatever size you like)

gemini likes this.
  13. dude5767

dude5767 Loaded Pockets

CRKT has a nice selection of knives that can be found in that price range. I picked up my M21-04 for under fifty bucks. The fossil and the graphite look very interesting, I think I well go for the graphite next. Something about a flipper with a lockback intrigues me.

gemini likes this.
  14. indigo_wolf

indigo_wolf AKA Breezy

Yes.

ATB,
    Sam

powerring and BubbaFett like this.
  15. Grateful

Grateful Loaded Pockets

Thanks for all the suggestions folks.

Jim

16. kensington

kensington Loaded Pockets

Loved carrying my RAT 1 also like the Kershaw Volt SS when I go dressy and want a slim look. Spyderco Resilience was a fave but I know many will say too big to EDC, perhaps something else in that line? Out of the above I carried the RAT 1 the most, super satisfying 'clunk' when it locked up, good feel.

Adahn likes this.
  17. EODPaul

EODPaul Loaded Pockets

I second the Bucks. I have a few Buck knives, as well as their collaboration knives with TOPS.
    Find a Vantage Avid or a 110. You will not be disappointed.

powerring likes this.
  18. MangeD700
    • In Omnia Paratus

MangeD700 EDC Junkie!!!!!

Enzo Birk 75

[​IMG]

19. Grateful

Grateful Loaded Pockets

Where can I find a Enzo Birk 75 for $50.00 ?

20. GrayMouser

GrayMouser EDC Junkie!!!!!

Grateful I always cringe when I see the "recommend me a knife" thread, everybody has a favorite and won't stop recommending it. I like what you did though, in asking about two specific knives. It made no difference whatsoever in the replies, but I liked it nevertheless.

No experience at all with the Cold Steel model you're interested in, but I'm on my third Leek and love almost everything about it.

I see you already own a Delica, the Leek is a more slight knife all around. The handle is shorter, the blade is thinner (with a needle tip. It's my go-to splinter remover), pocket clip orientation is right hand only tip up or tip down. I don't have a scale, but the Leek feels slightly heavier to me than the Delica. It also has the Kershaw speed assist opening which I really dig.

I've used the Leek in a retail environment extensively, I've never pried with it, but cut everything from pallet straps, zip ties, shrink wrap, cardboard, cord and rope. It's a winner for me at my work. Not sure what type of work you do, but mine has never let me down.

I probably wouldn't grab it for a trek in the woods, but it's an excellent choice for a gentleman's folder type knife.

[​IMG]

Best of luck in your search:)

MrOG, powerring, BubbaFett and 2 others like this.