1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

5.11 tactical vs. Maxpedition - is 5.11 made as well as Maxpedition

Discussion in 'EDC Bags' started by m29oicw, Apr 27, 2008.

1. m29oicw

m29oicw BST/Marketplace ban

Is 5.11 made as well as Maxpedition. How does the material and build quality compare?

Is the 5.11 slick sticks better than malice clips?

How do their pouches, sheathes, backpacks compare to Maxpedition?

2. karlito

karlito Loaded Pockets

I would assume that they would hold up about the same given the same materials, ie 1000D Cordura or whatever is used. Companies buy from fabric manufacturers which turn out tons of material. I think the quality is in the details; quality thread, bartacking, hardware, etc. I own stuff from both companies and am happy with both.

3. m29oicw

Is the construction of the 5.11 tactical equal to that of the Maxpedition?

4. maxpedition

maxpedition Banned

5. Valerian

Valerian Tea-powered admin

Well, if their pants are anything to judge build quality by, I doubt it. I have three pairs and they are well designed, but cheaply made. But I don't have any of their bags, sheaths or pouches, so take this with a grain of salt.

6. Edwood

Edwood Loaded Pockets

Even if they had identical quality of construction, I find Maxpedition bag designs more innovative and practical.

7. Timbokhan

Timbokhan Loaded Pockets

I doubt that the 5.11 stuff is bad, but I have never been more impressed with the general quality of any piece of gear than I have been with my jumbo versipack. I can literally see a lifetime of use coming out of that bag. Maybe they are a little pricier or whatever, but Maxpedition is getting my business from here on out.

8. balldboy

balldboy Loaded Pockets

511 is expanding (for good or bad) into knives, watches and now gear as their name in the tactical market grows.

Thier boots are EXTREMELY varied in comfort based on price. I had 2 pair of thier high end boots that were awsome.
    They lasted over 2 years with alternating use. I bought their boot that was comparable to the Hitec low boot and they were terrible.

Thier pants remind me of hip huggers from my youth...

IS there a place for them in the market, sure...just not in my gear closet.

Pete

9. Circle of Owls

Circle of Owls Loaded Pockets

I have a small 5.11 bag that came with my 5.11 Trench Coat, both are good quality. The coat is rather light weight nylon, and the buttons would not stand up to a quick tug. I'd give the design 7/10 based on its design goals. The bag was basically a freebe, it is a medium weight nylon, double stitching, and well built. If their other bags are built as well, I'd not hesitate to buy one assuming the price was reasonable. However...

I have a Maxpedition Pygmy Falcon II; it's build quality, design, and durability are simply astounding, and frankly I know of nothing else to compare it to. It is in a whole different league than the 5.11 products that I have, or anything else that I've run into. Maxpedition has a lifetime customer here.

10. shrap

shrap Loaded Pockets

Just so you know, Maxpedition doesn't make MALICE clips. Tactical Tailor invented them and Maxpedition resells them.

11. m29oicw

I'm not interested in 5.11 clothing. There are 2 threads on this board about the Rush 24 & 72 backpacks and most of the reviews are positive. I have owned several Maxpedition products. I sold off 3 of them and kept the Toadstool. I love the construction and build quality of Maxpedition but many of their products are either too small or too big or I am just looking for some other configuration.

Can some one comment on the 5.11 sheaths, pouches, backpacks when compared to Maxpedition?

12. RacerX

RacerX Loaded Pockets

X2

:include:

13. jlomein

jlomein Loaded Pockets

I own the following 5.11 tactical nylon products:
    SERE shoulder bag
    RUSH24 backpack
    H2O carrier
    6.6 pouch
    Medium drop pouch
    Double pistol mag pouch
    Small cell phone pouch

I also own the following Maxpedition products:
    Janus extension pouch
    Small tactile pouch

I am a regular civilian user and certainly don't abuse my gear. Personally I prefer 5.11 for several reasons. An obvious reason is that it is cheaper, usually by 25-50% when comparing similar items. I also like how 5.11 zippers seem to open and close in a smooth action. Maxpedition zippers sometimes get stuck and are a bit rough, but they do appear to be stronger and more durable. Finally, even though both companies use 1000D nylon for most of their products, 5.11 gear feels softer and easier to flatten, move around, etc. Maxpedition products turn out quite stiff and rigid. I prefer the softer feeling 5.11 items, but rough users would probably like the tougher feel of Maxpedition.

From the products I own, I conclude that Maxpedition products can stand up to more abuse than 5.11. It is up to the individual user whether or not it is worth the extra costs or drawbacks. For civilian use, or even law enforcement, I think 5.11 products are a good fit. For rough military use I believe that paying for Maxpedition is a good choice.

I definitely prefer slick sticks. The way they are designed make it far easier to weave two MOLLE items together, and extremely quick to separate them. When used, it is a tight and secure system, however if your pouches or slick sticks are bent at a certain angle, the snap buttons may come undone. I have never had a malice clip come undone unless I wanted it to. The negative side to malice clips is that they are a pain to attach or remove. It is difficult to explain, but the way malice clips attach to pouches makes it troublesome to weave two MOLLE items properly. It is up to personal preference whether you prefer ease of application/removal or a very secure connection.

14. jgatliff

jgatliff Loaded Pockets

Well let me throw in my $0.02.

I think it really depends on the product. Both 5.11 and Maxpedition are great brands and I don't think you would do wrong buying either. As for me personally, I like some items of Maxpedition better and I like some items of 5.11 better. But I don't think it's a question of construction as much as it is design.

I think the Maxpedition backpacks, gear slingers or verispacks are better designed than 5.11. As such I wouldn't buy something like the SERE bag by 5.11 as I feel is a knock off of the Maxpedition.

However in that same thread, I prefer the 5.11 folding drop pouches to the Rolly Polly Pouches. First off they are thinner and secondly you don't have to buy additional clips to mount it to molle gear.

Another item of note are the Nalgene bottle holders that both make. I have a 5.11 and a friend has a Maxpedition. Pros/Cons, I like that the Maxpedition is padded and has an external pocket, I like that 5.11 closes with velcro/buckle and has the slick stick system. My friend says that the Maxpedition bottle carrier is harder to open. I will probably buy a Maxpedition one to add to my backpack to hold a jetboil (because the external pocket could be used to hold instant coffee or hot chocolate, etc.).

I have used both the Slick Stick and Malice clips and I say without a doubt, the Slick Stick system from 5.11 is far better. I do not care for Malices clips at all. In fact, I am getting rid of my Malice clips and switching to the Blackhawk Speedclips as I think they thread easier, and hold the items tighter.

In short, both brands have their benefits, check out each item and see which one will fit your needs best, don't be a slave to a brand. As for me, I have:

Maxpedition: Typhoon, Pug & Merlin. Planning to buy - Nalgene Bottle Holder, Fatboy Type S (for my wife), Jumbo, Sabercat, Vulture II etc...

5.11: H20 Carrier (2), Medium, Large & X-Large Folding Drop Pouch, Double Stacked AR Mag Case, Single AR Mag Case, Double Pistol Mag Case, 2 Single Pistol Mags Cases. Planning to buy - More H2O Carriers, and other stuff....

Thanks,
    JG

15. jodj

jodj moved on with life

I'd have to say that quality- and durability-wise Maxpedition products are pretty-well bulletproof, and while 5.11 nylon products aren't bad, they seem about average (and I've tried pouches/bags from pretty much every manufacturer you could name (Tactical Tailor, Emdom, Esstac, HSGI, S.O. Tech, ...).

But with that said, you have to think about whether the product fits the application. While I prefer Max produts generally, right now I'm using a 5.11 FAK pouch, which I think is the best product of that type out there for my needs (has two separate mesh compartments so that I can separate my daughter's meds from my own).

And not to take shots, I've stated elsewhere, that I'm not a fan of the Slick Stick system because the sticks are fixed in specific PALS channels. So, for example, on my FAK, the Slick Sticks are permanently fixed at 4 PALs channels apart. If I only have 3 channels of free space for mounting, I still need a malice clip or a speed stick. Also, the slicksticks aren't removable (except for cutting them off) -- which means that I can't use malice clips or speed sticks for the channels occupied by the slicksticks and the slicksticks stay on the pouch even if I just carry it around unattached or use it for internal subloading. As much of a pain as malice clips are, I find them to be the best option in terms of balancing the need for flexible attachment options vs. secure attachments vs. ease of attachment/removal.

(FWIW, While speed sticks work reasonably well, they aren't fool proof. I've had a pain using them on pouches/bags that are new (i.e., stiff) or where the PAL's channels might be slightly too narrow, and on other pouches/bags the speed sticks have come loose on me )

16. jgatliff

jgatliff Loaded Pockets

I couldn't agree with this more and that was really what I was trying to get across with my post.

That's the beauty of have so many different systems, everyone can find the one they prefer. Like I said, I prefer Slick Stick, but I am not using the pouches that have that except for on Molle Gear. I could see how it would be aggrevating if you weren't attaching the item to other PALS gear.

In any case, I don't think you'd go wrong with either Maxpedition or 5.11.
    JG

17. Cryptic

Cryptic Loaded Pockets

Agreed... I am looking for a backpack right now, and although I love Maxpedition's quality and design, their backpacks don't seem suited to me. Primarily, I look at the RUSH 24's plethora of pockets, organization, and size and compare it to everything MaxPed has......... MaxPed seems to have LEO/Mil people in mind. I want something bulletproof with a lot of organization for things like tools, pens, thumb drives, hard disks, notebooks, etc.- in order to gain the same functionality as the RUSH 24, I'd have to add an organizer onto/into a MaxPed pack. That approach has the benefit of modularity but at an additional cost.

18. BIG-TARGET

BIG-TARGET Empty Pockets

I have both 5.11(RUSH24,accessories, and clothing) and Maxpedition(Octa,Proteous, Jumbo, Thermite, Colossus,MCAP, and accessories), and I love them both. Both are quality, both are worth the money spent.
    The only slight advantage 5.11 has over Maxpedition,at least for me, is the LOCAL MARKETING.

What am I talking about??
    All my maxpedition, has been purchased via the internet. My 5.11 were purchased at Mar~vels's, a tactical/diving shop over in Pennsauken NJ. About 5 miles from my home!

You can see where THAT has an advantage. :shocked:

19. Peccavi

Peccavi Empty Pockets

WHO'S COMPARED THE 5.11 S.E.R.E. TO THE MAX JUMBO?

20. BIG-TARGET

BIG-TARGET Empty Pockets

Marvels did have a couple SEREs. For the record, it is smaller than the jumbo. :rant: So if you're looking to haul then goods, you're out of luck :brickwall: