1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

5.11 Tactical Moab 6 as FAK ... any experience?

Discussion in 'First Aid Station' started by Fire Fighter, Jun 11, 2016.

1. Fire Fighter

Fire Fighter Loaded Pockets

I am looking at putting together a portable soft carry/shoulder carry FAK and am considering the 5.11 Tactical Moab 6 as it can be attached directly to my firefighting turn out bag (Rush 72). I'm also a first responder and first aid officer and would rather carry my own FAK rather than use the generic hardbox FAK carried on our fire engine.

Does anyone have any experience with the Moab 6 as a FAK that they would like to share? Thanks in advance.

[​IMG]

2. Easyrunning

Easyrunning Loaded Pockets

The MOAB 6 is way too big for a FAK. I use the 5.11 6x6 medical pouch. It holds a surprising amount of first aid supplies. I'm assuming you're talking for personal use and not professional. You may also want to consider a 5.11 Push pack for a shoulder carried FAK.

Fire Fighter likes this.
  3. CBRNE

CBRNE Loaded Pockets

If you are using it for personal use, it is way too big. If you are using it to respond to jobs, it would work, but it is not configured well for it, I would look at other options.

Fire Fighter likes this.
  4. Djs105

Djs105 Loaded Pockets

I carried it for a while was my work bail out bag. It's pretty darn big and overall I liked it. One minor complaint the strap is kind of weird. If you don't make it real tight the bag will sit funny and the web part of the strap will be annoying for long wear.

Fire Fighter likes this.
  5. Fire Fighter

Thanks everyone for your input. I've ordered a much smaller sized bag from eBay for US$10 (delivered to Australia) which seems based on, or influenced by, the Moab 6. I've done this to check the size. Will keep you posted on outcome.

6. Fire Fighter

Thanks for this. I intend to also carry personal meds in my FAK (such as Advil) so it will be only personal use but in a professional environment ... firefighting.

Last edited by Fire Fighter, Jun 23, 2016
  7. Fire Fighter

Advice taken onboard re: configuration.

8. Fire Fighter

Thanks for advice on size. Have ordered a smaller size bag via eBay. If this size is still too big I will give it away as present and order a smaller size. As I live in a really isolated rural area I must research, research, research and ask questions before ordering anything via internet.

9. CBRNE

CBRNE Loaded Pockets

Just to clarify is it for personal or responder use?

Fire Fighter likes this.
  10. Fire Fighter

The FAK is for personal use, and use by family/friends when outdoors such as camping. However, I intend to also use the FAK while firefighting for own personal use and just-in-case when out fighting fires or responding to emergency events.

We have a dedicated FAK in our fire engine for first responder use. I still want my own just like we have flashlights (torches) and a rescue knife or two in the fire engine but I still carry my own.

11. Fire Fighter

This is my current FAK which I want tp put into a soft bag for ease of carry, either on its own or attached to my Rush 72.

[​IMG]

12. 343KD

343KD Loaded Pockets

5.11 came out with a bag that was purpose built/designed as a first responder FAK or trauma kit bag that may be worth a look for you: the UCR sling bag.
    I have no personal experience with this particular bag. I owned a MOAB 6 for a while and never liked its sizing and fit.

Fire Fighter likes this.
  13. Fire Fighter

Doesn't seem to be available in Australia but will include in my final list for consideration. Thanks.

[​IMG]

14. CBRNE

CBRNE Loaded Pockets

Based on what you are using it for, and what it looks like you are carrying, I would suggest the Tactical Tailor First Responder Bag, or another with a similar form factor. North American Rescue used to sell a similar bag as a stand-alone product, but it seems from their website you can only get the bag when you buy an entire kit. I am sure you can find the bags by themselves from 3rd party sites. Lastly, if you search for "ifak" on ebay, you will see bags listed as "combat lifesaver" or "CLS", those would also work. I have personally used everything I mentioned, they are all solid.

Fire Fighter likes this.
  15. Mikeyk94

Mikeyk94 Loaded Pockets

Take a look at condors rip away EMT pouch. I got one as my FAK that I use on my off-road bag. Nice size that's fits a good amount. I think I got mine for $20.

Fire Fighter and Easyrunning like this.
  16. Fire Fighter

This is the FAK I ended up getting for US$10 via evilBay. Fits good in my black Rush 72 and seems OK for throwing in the car for trips. Comes with a grab handle and shoulder sling strap similar to the 5.11 Moab 6 which I have unclipped. I replaced the zipper tags with red/black paracord and put on a first aid patch.

[​IMG]

Easyrunning likes this.
  17. DeKrypt

DeKrypt Empty Pockets

I'm thinking this might work for smaller carry.

5.11 IFAK seems pretty okay to me.

[​IMG]

Sent from my Lenovo A6000-l using Tapatalk

Fire Fighter likes this.
  18. Fire Fighter

5.11 Tactical in Australia don't stock the above IFAK or they won't release it. Maybe they have too much other stock such as med pouches. 5.11 Tactical in the USA won't ship to Australia because they have a distributor. Therefore to purchase and import is way too expensive, at least from my trying.

DeKrypt likes this.