1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

5.11 Tactical Duty Kilt (TDK)

Discussion in 'EDC Clothing' started by ATF, Apr 2, 2012.

1. billybag
    • In Omnia Paratus

billybag Loaded Pockets

Thanks for the information. I'll be checking them out.
    Is there a maker that you would recomend.
    It's kind of like trying to choose the best blue jean company if you've never worn them.
    Again thank you.

2. Kilted1

Kilted1 Loaded Pockets

I've rarely seen a "store" that sells kilts they didn't make. If you buy from Utilikilts, Stillwater, 5.11, Sportkilt, etc, you get one made by them. There are a few resellers but they generally only carry one maker. Things change though and I haven't done any looking lately so YMMV as always. Aside from those mentioned, I can't think of any names.

I don't really have a recommendation as my experience with kilts is limited to my two from Utilikilts, they're well made but spendy as all get out. I'd go with Stillwater for starters and maybe move up from there. Be aware that Stillwater makes "traditional" kilts, they don't have any pockets so you're going to need some sort of sporran (that's a belt pouch for the bifurcated). Stillwater has some of those too for reasonable prices.

By the way, billybag. That photo of you, though your beard is longer and (these days) redder and apparent age (or is it miles?), you look disturbingly like myself.:frantic::cool:

3. Idaho Gunslinger

Idaho Gunslinger Loaded Pockets

So all I have to look for is big red beard and kilt at local shoots to find you?

4. billybag
    • In Omnia Paratus

billybag Loaded Pockets

@ Kilted look forward to seeing myself. Miles I think is the best term. Life.
    I'll check them out.
    Thank you.

5. xxForceTenxx

xxForceTenxx Loaded Pockets

Stillwater kilts are decent quality. I have one and wore one for years in competition. Pine tar, chalk, pitch forks, splinters and probably more than 50 gallons of sweat/ale/scotch/Gatorade have all added to it's "personality".

I would never own a Utilikilt, nor one of these tactical ones though. For those whom do, don't be offended if you get made fun of at times.

6. Kilted1

Kilted1 Loaded Pockets

The beard is mostly white these days and the pretty one makes me keep it trimmed. Haven't been to a shoot in ages but you never know. Maybe the local Winco or something.

@xxForceTenxx: I don't mind getting razzed about wearing a kilt or anything else for that matter. Just have the courtesy to do it in person so I can laugh in your face. Thanks for the field report on Stillwater! I have a friend in SLC that swears by them but I think he just wears them to festivals.

7. xxForceTenxx

xxForceTenxx Loaded Pockets

IIRC, Stillwater and other companie's economy kilts are made elsewhere. As to razzing, always done in person. ;-)

8. Kilted1

Kilted1 Loaded Pockets

5.11 kilts are shipping now!:bounce::wavespin::dance: Just got an email with the FedEx tracking number, should be here Monday. Of course I gave them my work address for shipping and I'll be on vacation next week so who knows when I'll actually get my hands on it. Tuesday with any luck.

mooshisho likes this.
  9. ac7ss
    • In Omnia Paratus

ac7ss Loaded Pockets

Mine should be here today. (Tracking has it out for delivery.)

mooshisho likes this.
  10. T.H.Cone

T.H.Cone I am senor Fluffy, hear me roar

Mine apparently shipped too, but, sadly, it will not arrive until the 20th. That's next Thursday, for Pete's sake! :eek: Almost five months form order date to delivery... pretty good job, 5.11 (That was just some sarcasm, I realize why it took sooo long).

11. billybag
    • In Omnia Paratus

billybag Loaded Pockets

OK so when are we going to see pics guys?

12. T.H.Cone

I still haven't gotten mine yet. Thursday is the big day according to the FedEx tracking... been in Reno since Friday. What the ...!

13. ac7ss
    • In Omnia Paratus

ac7ss Loaded Pockets

I would post a pic, but not of me wearing it. I am no model.

14. T.H.Cone

But you could be if you post a picture of yourself with the new kilt.

billybag likes this.
  15. ac7ss
    • In Omnia Paratus

ac7ss Loaded Pockets

Ok, I will see if my wife will take a photo for me tomorrow. (I despize bathroom pics.)

Evilbunny and billybag like this.
  16. billybag
    • In Omnia Paratus

billybag Loaded Pockets

Go for it.
    Not like most of us are al GQ and Cosmo.
    I would but I haven't got a kilt yet.
    Closest I could come is one of my lady's skirts, and that would just be scarry and odd.

17. Matt Stone

Matt Stone Empty Pockets

Really surprised by some of the comments ridiculing the wear of kilts as being somehow unmanly or inappropriate for "tactical" situations (whatever the hell that actually means). That Scottish soldiers in WW1 wore kilts as their battle uniform, that kilts were worn by some of the most historically bad :censored: people ever (I mean, really, when the Roman Legion builds a wall not to keep people out of "Rome" but to protect the Legion from Scotsmen, that says something...), and that trousers are historically a woman's garment, just makes me laugh a bit at the poster some months back who said kilts were "gay."

Too bad 5.11 only made a limited run of these...

Evilbunny and ac7ss like this.
  18. ac7ss
    • In Omnia Paratus

ac7ss Loaded Pockets

"Tactical" means "When the waste product hits the bladed circulator" it is the here and now of action. As opposed to strategic which is done by suits who only see blood when they cut themselves shaving.

Anyone in an active situation will not be concerned with how they look, just that the gear they are carrying/wearing does it's job.

I believe that calling it a TDK was a play on the TDU line.

19. billybag
    • In Omnia Paratus

billybag Loaded Pockets

Pics or you never got them.

20. ac7ss
    • In Omnia Paratus

ac7ss Loaded Pockets

PHTT! I just never have any time off. (Cannot wear it at work for safety reasons.)