1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

5.11 TacLite Pro Pants v. Jeans

Discussion in 'EDC Clothing' started by Moosemancer, Dec 8, 2011.

1. Moosemancer

Moosemancer Empty Pockets

As of today I own only jeans. However I may look into buying several pairs of 5.11 TacLite Pro Pants. I was wondering if anyone owns any of these and has any insight?

2. Moonduck

Moonduck Loaded Pockets

Pretty radically different. Still pants, yes, but significant differences in cut and feel. The difference in fabric weight is enormous. Taclite is very lightweight comparatively. That said, it will never get as soft as a pair of jeans. Taclite is more stain resistant, ripstop, moderately water shedding, andy very tough for its' weight. It is not flash resistant at all though. Do not wear them around open fires if you plan to get close to them. The cut is also more loose than most jeans I've worn, and I like that. And of course more pocket space.

Jeans still have their place in my wardrobe (mostly for situations where flash is possible), but otherwise I wear taclites, or similar style pants from other manufacturers like Propper.

3. Moosemancer

I appreciate your help Moonduck, but just curious, why shouldn't one wear them close to fires? Because they're synthetic and might melt, or?

4. Prætorian ®

Prætorian ® Loaded Pockets

Start with one or two and see how it feels. I agree with Moonduck, in as much as I love these pants, taclites are very different especially the 'fit'.
    I just keep a couple of pairs when I feel like I could use a couple more pockets :)
    Besides Jeans are the best urban camouflage ;)

5. defuse kit

defuse kit Loaded Pockets

Nope, totally right. Same thing for chem labs. Go natural or go home.

6. Moonduck

Moonduck Loaded Pockets

Yep, a spark will turn into a melt, which will turn into you having your pants cut off your skin.

That said, I won't wear 511 cotton tacticals. I just do not like the cut. They sit very differently on me than the taclites.

7. Moosemancer

Well I don't anticipate being in any chem-labs or near any fires soon, so I should be okay.

8. Moonduck

Moonduck Loaded Pockets

I wear them pretty much daily, and never encountered a problem. Firefighters, lab techs, welders, etc would do well to get the cotton, that's all. I just wanted to mention it in case you were in such an environment.

9. cl0123

cl0123 Loaded Pockets

Just some observations to share.

Shape: 5.11 or similar tend to have a more generous or baggy cut than traditional straight leg jeans.

Pockets: Those cargoes and extra pockets are very functional. They are the primary reasons why I seldom go back to jeans nowadays.

"Image": More of a military, LEO, survivor, or "operator" look than traditional jeans. People do notice it but good thing these pants are becoming more common nowadays. Jeans are indeed the better urban camouflage, though.

Fabrics: Last time I traveled to Panama I brought only 5.11 and LAPG cargo pants. They dry fast (compared to my friends' good ole Levis jeans) in the humid weather. I would say it's probably cooler and remains "fresher" than jeans, but since I didn't really bring any jeans, so not quite a direct comparison. OTOH, jeans are probably more suitable for cold weather.

Get a pair and try them out. Clothing is quite personal and your own opinion counts the most.

With Aloha,

Clarence

10. Moonduck

Moonduck Loaded Pockets

You know, people on boards always associate 511's and the like with military and LEO's. I live in an area that has, oh, about 23% of the active duty personnel in the US military (not an exaggeration) and when off duty, they are as likely to wear cargos as anybody else. I work occasionally in a police supply store And off duty cops aren't constantly in tactical pants.

The one profession that I see more often than any other in cargos are IT guys. The first time I ever saw 511 pants were on computer geek friends of mine. I laughed about computer geeks needing tactical pants, but, well, they often carry a lot of gadgets and such when not working so it makes sense.

In short, I think the perceived stigma is hooey. I can see it perhaps in rural areas where jeans and heavy work pants are der riguer, but every urban/suburban area I've been in for years has seen cargo pants as a common sight. And honestly, I doubt that most people are going to look to see what brand of cargos you're wearing in order to "make" you. If they're looking that hard, you've been made already anyway.

11. Chopper

Chopper Loaded Pockets

Hi,

As some of you have already seen I am a 5.11 adict and have reviewed most of my kit on YouTube.

I have been using their original cotton Tactical pants for a number of years and love them especially for winter wear as they are warmer.

I bought my first pair of Taclite Pro's earlier this year and they are even better!

Then along came the STRYKE pant, and, wow, they are something else, the stretch in the fabric is like nothing I have ever experianced, I have not reviewed these as yet but will very soon and will publish a link as soon as I do.

Here's a link to the Taclite Pro review, I hope it helps you: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LTjhPz25UiQ

12. Idaho Gunslinger

Idaho Gunslinger Loaded Pockets

Jeans
    Well fitted with your preferred style.
    Comfortable once you have them worn in.
    Not as noticeable

5.11's
    Much better range of motion
    Way more storage
    More durable

I have noticed that people only really seem to look strangely at my 5.11's when wearing my OD pants. Khaki and Coyote Tan don't seem to have such a reaction. One other weird thing. People never seem to notice the magazine Erhem "cellphone" pocket, but that little knife/sunglasses pocket always gets a mention. I say use 5.11's for everyday, jeans for when you want to look nicer.

13. MTFire

MTFire Loaded Pockets

I just switched over to the 511 Taclite from jeans and really like the fit, pockets, and wear. No way would I go back to jeans. By the way I am a firefighter and have to wear Nomex pants at work they they aren't very good, they are cold in the winter, hot in the summer, and don't wear well.

John

14. mrmaigo

mrmaigo Empty Pockets

After 9 months, I don't have any real wear on them and I've had no REAL issues. Not great for keeping the cold out. If you're moving, they're alright, but just standing there, not so much. The pockets openings are cut a bit too steep. Its hard to get into them with a knife/light clipped to them and near imposable with gloves. Fine with the back pockets though. Got a few pulled threads in my main pocket from the s-binder on my keys. Nothing else 'bad' to say. Oh, cargo pockets don't QUITE hold an AR mag, lol.

I like the fit better than jeans. I do a lot of kneeling/bending/lifting and not once had any binding or stabbing crotch pain. Knife and 'phone' pockets are great. The velcro is holding up fantastically. They dry quick enough, too.
    YMMV and all that.

15. VinnyP
    • In Omnia Paratus

VinnyP Loaded Pockets

You may want to look at the Blackhawk equivalents to the 5.11 I like the lightweight tactical and performance cotton. The extra zip pockets, hidden expansion and shirt keepers make a difference to me. I get 5.11 for free and buy the Blackhawk instead FWIW.

16. Arkansas_Ranger

Arkansas_Ranger Empty Pockets

I wear some 5.11 TacLite pants at one of my jobs, and I like them. However, I wouldn't ever consider wearing them casually. I typically wear bootcut American Eagle jeans casually. What I hate about the 5.11s are the overly tapered pant leg. I also think the tops of the legs/hip area are a bit too baggy. Baggy is good for the conditions I wear them in, but I wish they'd take a couple of inches out of the top and put them in the bottom, lol.

17. neutrontech
    • In Omnia Paratus

neutrontech Loaded Pockets

I have to disagree with jeans being the best urban camo. Best rural, maybe. In a typical day i see just as many if not more people in kahkis than jeans.

18. Moosemancer

I have to agree with Neutron. Here I see people wearing jeans, khakis, even fatigues sometimes.