1. Please update your bookmarks to use https://www.edcforums.com/
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

5.11 SERE Bag, exclusively available from Quartermaster Uniforms

Discussion in 'Gear Reviews' started by jlomein, Jan 28, 2008.

1. jlomein

jlomein Loaded Pockets

[img width=640 height=480]http://i105.photobucket.com/albums/m204/jlomein/SEREbag/IMGP3506.jpg[/img]

The 5.11 SERE Bag (Survival, Evasion, Resistance and Escape) is not part of the regular 5.11 product line, and is exclusively available from Quartermaster Uniforms for $34.99. The product description can be seen here. It is available in black only. Here is a quick rundown of the key features:

-Internal dimensions of the zippered main compartment are 9.5" tall, 8.5" wide, and 4.5" deep
    -lots of MOLLE/PALS webbing both externally and internally
    -padded shoulder strap with quick detach buckle on front
    -reasonably priced at $34.99 compared to similar bags

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

As you can see the bag has a lot of PALS webbing on the outside flap and sides of the main compartment. Seen above, I have attached a 5.11 medium drop pouch and double pistol mag holder, great for carrying a nalgene water bottle and flashlights respectively.

[​IMG]

On the right side, you can see a narrow pocket near where the strap attaches to the bag, which can hold a knife or slim flashlight. Also pictured is a headphone port hole that has a velcro cover.

[​IMG]

Up top near the left there is a small mesh pocket. Beside it on the right is the grab handle. I find it odd that many comparable bags don't have grab handles like this, as it is very convenient.

[​IMG]

Pictured above is the large external zippered pocket. It is about 8.5" wide and 8.5" long. It's great to use as a separate area for flat items like maps, documents, etc. A great feature is that it is lined with a light grey material that helps you see what's inside, as opposed to a completely black pocket.

[​IMG]

Here on the bottom you can see the four covered drainage holes that let liquid in the main compartment drip out, but keep external dirt and such from entering the compartment. There is also a strap that you can use to keep excess strap from the front buckle out of the way.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Opening up the front flap you can see that on its back side it has two small elastics that can hold a pen, and a transparent velcro pocket. The transparent pocket is 8.5" wide and 5.5" long. Also above, you can see that the outside of the main compartment has even more PALS webbing.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Opening the zipper to the main compartment, you can find more PALS webbing. The interior is covered in a very soft light grey material. As already mentioned, this allows for easier identification of the compartment's contents because it reflects more light. On the top left you can see that it has a key attachment. On the bottom are the four drainage holes. Internal dimensions of the zippered main compartment are 9.5" tall, 8.5" wide, and 4.5" deep.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

On the back of the bag there are three areas of foam padding to make carrying the bag more comfortable. There is also an odd strap (in the picture I have my finger stuck in it), and I'm not sure what its purpose is. It seems large enough that you can stick two long MALICE clips through it and attach them to your belt if you want the bag to be really secure to your body.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Above is a picture of the padded shoulder strap that has PALS webbing on it. The backside of the padded strap is covered in a non slip material to keep it on the same place on your shoulder. The second picture shows me putting my finger through a piece of webbing on the left end of the shoulder strap, about 1.5" wide and 1.5" long.

[​IMG]

Overall I am quite impressed with the bag. The large amount of PALS webbing allows for many different configurations of pockets, pouches, and attachments. For me, the main compartment is the perfect size for my out and about EDC when not on campus or at work. To top it off, the bag is easily affordable at $34.99. I strongly believe that this bag would be one of 5.11's more popular items if it was sold under their regular product line and available at all 5.11 retailers. As it is, Quartermaster Uniforms is a great retailer, and I had no problems with my order.

***UPDATE*** May 5, 2008:

I just returned from a one week trip to New York. While there, I daily carried the SERE bag along with several attachments. In the pictures below you can see attached (or hidden):

-Maxpedition Janus pouch on shoulder strap with Jack Bauer patch
    -Maxpedition Small Tac-tile pouch on front
    -Tactical Tailor 1H Horizontal pouch hidden under front flap
    -MOLLE compatible 1qt Canteen holder (stuffed with 5.11 soft knee pads and used as a padded pouch for Canon S5 camera)
    -5.11 Medium drop pouch on left side
    -Ngear small camera case
    -Shock cord on bottom for holding rain jacket

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. adorable_harree

adorable_harree Empty Pockets

nice bag...hmmm... :)

3. balldboy

balldboy Loaded Pockets

Excellent review
    :woohoo: O0 :woohoo: O0 :woohoo: O0 :woohoo:

Really like that smaller front buckle, it's securing a bag...it's not a NASCAR harness.

Once I'm sure I like the Maxped. Triad pouch, I'll be ordering this bag.

Lokks like a platform I can add to instead of the maufacturer dictating placement.

Thanx again,
    Pete

4. jlomein

jlomein Loaded Pockets

Yeah I too really like being able to customize it a lot with all the PALS webbing. Something like the Maxpedition Jumbo has more compartments and pockets straight from the retailer, but only has a limited amount of PALS webbing for any personalization. I'm still on the fence of buying a Jumbo, since black has never really been my favourite bag colour, and foliage green is quite tempting. Black shows off a lot of dust and such.

5. Spectre

Spectre Empty Pockets

Just a note to anyone that wears 5.11 gear.

Badpeople know cops wear that stuff alot. I was told by a guy I snapped up while in plain clothes that "yah, I knew you was a cop you wearing those 911 army pants." I wear mostly Carhartt and noname pants now. My suggestion is rip that 5.11 label off that bag. If I wear 5.11 pants, I cut out the label. Maybe it will make a diff, maybe it wont.

6. jlomein

jlomein Loaded Pockets

Fair point. If you are an undercover/off duty police officer and do not want to look like one, wearing or carrying 5.11 gear may not be smart. I think I also read somewhere on EDC Forums that it's also not good to be a civilian wearing or carrying 5.11, as cops may harass you. I will say that I frequently wear 5.11 pants and carry this bag on a public rapid transit line. Police officers do regular paid fare checks while the train is running, and I have shown my fare to them at least two dozen times. They have never commented or given a second look to my pants or bag, even when in plain view.

BTW as an update on my SERE bag: I'm really loving it and it's modularity. I've attached quite a few items now (double pistol mag pouches, medium drop pouch, black Grimloc clips, green Glo-Toob with swivel belt clip) and plan on adding several more. I want a separate pocket for smaller items so I'm thinking about a 5.11 6.6 pouch on the outside the main compartment, under the cover flap. I'll take some pictures when I have more attachments on it.

7. Blades

Blades Loaded Pockets

Nice review, and a nice looking bag.

Jason

8. illusion

illusion Uber Prepared

Looks like a good bag for a great price :D

9. tracker870

tracker870 Empty Pockets

That is indeed a good price point for that bag!

On a sidenote, I'm not an LEO, but like 5.11 and Blackhawk gear (I need pockets!).
    Even when I'm not on the Range instructing (Pistol classes), I like to wear that stuff, hats, pants, daily, at work, and weekends hiking with the Scouts.
    Never had an issue with LEO's (just my wife; it annoys her!).

10. panzer

panzer Loaded Pockets

I purchased this bag based on this review and I was very happy that I did! Received the bag last night, haven't had much carry time but I am impressed with the layout. I always liked the Maxpedition Jumbo but found that the amount of pockets annoying. I could never use them they way I wanted to. So finding a bag in a similar configuration that is customizable was a big plus.

Only thing I don't care for in the bag is the lack of internal holster area and the lack of a velcro panel on the front for ID patches.

I found the TAD gear OP1 shingle fits perfectly in the inside body of the bag just underneath the main flap. This adds a nice admin area for pens and such.

I will post pics later.

11. jlomein

jlomein Loaded Pockets

Hi Panzer, I'm glad you found the review helpful. I'm actually near having all the attachments I want for my SERE bag, although I think I went overboard. I'll post a completed pic when everything is attached. The attachments are:

5.11 double pistol mag pouch
    5.11 medium drop pouch
    Tactical Tailor 1H horizontal pouch
    Maxpedition Small Tac-tile pouch
    Maxpedition Janus pouch
    no name 4xCR123 battery holster
    Grimloc clips
    glo-toob swivel belt clip

I chose the Small Tac-tile and Janus pouches specifically for velcro patch/nametape mounting, since as panzer said I didn't like the lack of velcro panels on the SERE bag.

12. jlomein

jlomein Loaded Pockets

Just updated my first post showing my SERE bag EDC load out for a vacation.

13. Agreatscot

Agreatscot Empty Pockets

That is a really good review. I especially like the pictures with your additions to it. O0

14. sandaili

sandaili Empty Pockets

Originally I posted asking if it had a zipper to the main compartment, I'm so stupid LOL (I somehow didn't read that it did).

How do you guys think the snagability of the mesh is on these? I do a lot of fence climbing and I don't need it to snag on metal...but it seems they are really liking mesh nowadays (5.11). I see in the pics it's a lot smaller mesh than on the larger packs.

L

15. 7k7k99

7k7k99 Loaded Pockets

I just ordered one of these -- I do like the grab handle feature, will have to see how it works out :)

16. rossmeister

rossmeister Empty Pockets

Any one have any additional info regarding 5.11 Tactical's PUSH pack? 5.11 gives a plethora of information on most of their other products, but is deficient in giving anything at all regarding their packs/bags and pouches. None of the other websites that sell 5.11 gear can offer anything more. Here are my questions:

Size wise, how does it compare with the Maxped Fatboy? Or is it closer in size to the Jumbo?
    Has anyone done a review? I really would like to see an extremely detailed review, complete with pics, of the PUSH pack.
    Am I better off staying with my current EDC bag, a Maxped Fatboy?

Demented minds wanna know.

17. Glockness

Glockness Empty Pockets

Good Point Spectre

5.11 = In case of robbery, shoot me first.

Just like the old Oakley Blades used to be the prefered off duty cop wear.

Be Safe and Alert everyone.

18. mrichelo

mrichelo Loaded Pockets

There are a few threads here about it:
    5.11 PUSH Pack
    Anyone seen the 5.11 PUSH Pack?

19. Tomcat_AL200

Tomcat_AL200 Loaded Pockets

Where to buy?

Does anyone know of a place that still sells these? I think I'd like to pick one up or trade in my new old PUSH pack.

20. ethernectar

ethernectar Empty Pockets

Quartermaster Uniforms has an exclusive on these bags right now.