1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

5.11 Rush12 VS SOG Ninja Day Pack

Discussion in 'Gear Reviews' started by Novix, Jan 4, 2017.

1. Novix

Novix Loaded Pockets

Hey Folks, I was looking through the forums here and noticed that there were a few people interested how these two bags differ from each other and do they warrant the price difference. So here we go ...

[​IMG]
    Outside:
    As you can see they are very similar in looks and size but the SOG is a little bigger @ 1475 CU. IN / 24.2 Liters While the 5.11 is 1287 CU. IN / 21 Liters
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The 5.11 on the outside has a different material, it is much heavier than the SOG which makes the 5.11 feel like a better bag. As far as the looks and MOLLE everything is the same, from the number of MOLLE loops to the zipper configuration. The velcro is a little different the SOG has a 3x3 patch at the top where the 5.11 has the 1x6 strip.Also, the SOG has a pouch on the left side for a water bottle, my 32oz Nalgene fits great in there. the zippers a SBS for SOG and YKK for 5.11, both seem durable but while looking on the web SBS seems to be in many "replica" branded items.
    Admin area:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Here are the actual depths of the 5.11, the pen depth is 4 1/4", I missed that one.
    The SOG is similar but as you can see a little bit shorter in some areas really depends on what you are placing in the pockets.
    Main compartment:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Here is where we find a big difference, depending on your view for the better or for the worst. As you can see the 5.11 fully opens for easier access. The SOG only partially opens on the left side due to the water bottle pouch being there. For the mesh area you can see the 5.11 is a little bigger on the bottom part by an inch. Also you can see that the inside of the SOG bag the "pouch" doesn't go fully across the back of the pack, to me that is a big deal only because of what I tend to carry. I do believe the reason for the SOG pocket being smaller is so that the hydration pouch can fit in properly, more on that in a second. As well the 5.11 has a draw cord instead of elastic for closing that pouch.
    Harness and straps:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Again you can see a big difference here in some important areas that may or may not be a deal breaker for you personally. Starting with the harness itself the 5.11 has a lot more padding in it meaning you can carry a heavier load for longer, the yoke/neck portion of both bags are made very similar again more padding in the 5.11. The harness for a chest strap is on both with differences in how you can adjust them. The SOG has a nice system that allows you to move the strap as you see fit up and down the webbing. It also has a nice elastic webbing band on the back of the strap for cross movement when doing anything strenuous. The 5.11 is a hook and latch on any of the 4 MOLLE points on the harness... Although, honestly you would only use the lower two. As for the back padding the SOG has a nice mess backing that would allow better airflow, but also has the downside of being able to be ripped easier. Where the 5.11 has the fully enclosed padding with lighter weight material, as always with the 5.11 you have the anti-slip "rubber" on the back you can also see that there is a grommet there for the hydration pouch to drain if needed, the only reason the SOG does not have this is because there is no separate pocket/pouch for the hydration bladder. Which leads me into that part of the 5.11 ... the hydration pouch, or whatever you want to carry a tablet, CCW.... Not for me I'm in Canada :( Also in this pouch you have the plastic backboard for rigidity. The 5.11 does have two "clips/clasps" you could hook up a belt as well which could take more of the load off your shoulders as we all know. They both have the sunglass pocket on top as well as the hydration ports on both sides.
    Bottom of the bag:
    [​IMG]

5.11 bottom
    [​IMG]
    SOG bottom
    No real difference, although the grommets on the 5.11 seem better quality
    Actual Bag Tag's:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

So there you have it a general review of these two bags with a bit more info for some folks I hope. Overall I find the SOG bag well put together, nothing wrong with it for a 40 dollar bag. I do find you have more options on the 5.11 hence the reason I have that one as well. For me, the SOG will be a car bag, it has some great features but as an EDC bag, the Rush 12 is just that much more of what I personally need.

I hope this has helped some of you out there this was my first review so be kind, any suggestions as welcome.

Peace my friends

kscaddo, Jay-uk, BigGreenTick and 2 others like this.
  2. WILLIAM.M

WILLIAM.M Empty Pockets

thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

3. gazz98

gazz98 Loaded Pockets

Thanks for the review and comparison. I'm curious how well the SOG will hold up after 6 months or so. For a cheap bag, it's hard to beat the LAPolicegear 3 day pack for $30. I've had mine for two years and it is surprisingly sturdy.

Not a knock on the bag itself but the marketing people at SOG. Using the name "Ninja" sounds like you are marketing to the 8-15 year old crowd.

4. COfastwrx

COfastwrx Loaded Pockets

I have a rush 24 that has been fantastic. Highly recommend 5.11

5. Kravhiker

Kravhiker Loaded Pockets

Very nice comparative review. I too use the RUSH 24 as my EDC car bag. I love the bag as it is very well made and versatile. I think RUSH gives more options.

Sent from my SM-T230NU using Tapatalk

6. Jay-uk

Jay-uk Loaded Pockets

One of the best posts on here clear and informative than you

7. charlie fox

charlie fox Loaded Pockets

I’ve been using a Ninja as my daily bag for the better part of a year now and it’s held up very well. No rips, tears or seam splits. The zippers are all still tight and the color hasn’t faded. For $21 I think it’s a heck of a deal!