1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

5.11 Rush - quality control?

Discussion in 'EDC Bags' started by Redneck Bear, Oct 29, 2016.

1. Redneck Bear

Redneck Bear Loaded Pockets

This is really impressive, but the problem the Amazon reviewer mentioned (with Rush12 and Rush24 to be specific, I didn't check for Rush72) was at a very specific place - the point where the yoke meets the strap ...

Anyway, you guys (and the small amount of negative reviews :)) have assured me about the quality of the Rush bags, thanks ... :)

PS: The stitching problem is seen for example here in this review:
    https://www.edcforums.com/threads/picture-heavy-5-11-rush-12-one-year-wear-and-tear.136226/

2. Jay-uk

Jay-uk Loaded Pockets

Ahh was just going to point you to that
    Good luck with a new pack

Redneck Bear likes this.
  3. Redneck Bear

Thanks! :)

4. Mikeyk94

Mikeyk94 Loaded Pockets

My rush 12 had that issue. Where the yoke and straps meet started to fray. I emailed 5.11 with some pics and they had me send it in. No problems since.

Jay-uk and Redneck Bear like this.
  5. Redneck Bear

Thanks for the info!
    How long it took for this problem to show up, please?

6. Mikeyk94

Mikeyk94 Loaded Pockets

I'd say just under a year of everyday use.

Redneck Bear likes this.
  7. Wesmanthetiger

Wesmanthetiger Loaded Pockets

So I've had the Moab 10, great bag but a little too small, and the Rush 24, great bag but too big. Both really tough and durable, no issues. I have no misgivings about recommending both! Now I'm always willing to try something new so based on this thread I researched the First Tactical Half Day pack (same capacity give or take as the Rush 12) and ordered one so I look forward to comparing. Just FYI 5.11 is having a current promo that lowers the cost of their backpacks by $20-$30. First Tactical is as well but with 50% off their backpacks. I picked up the Half Day for $45 and free shipping. Check their FB page for code. I don't think you can go wrong either way.

EXCALIBUR and Redneck Bear like this.
  8. EXCALIBUR

EXCALIBUR Loaded Pockets

Please share a comparison review/photos of the FT Half-Day pack vs. Rush 12 when you have a chance. Thank you.

Wesmanthetiger likes this.
  9. velvetelvis

velvetelvis Empty Pockets

Any update on this?

10. Wesmanthetiger

Wesmanthetiger Loaded Pockets

Sorry for the delay, busy holiday. Okay, first things first, pics! First Tactical Half Day Pack:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So first let's talk about quality. This bag is extremely well made, easily feels as sturdy and tough as any of the 5.11 bags I have owned. I like their attention to the little details as that's what's made me fall in love with this bag for every day carry. I don't need compression straps for EDC so instead of wrapping them up or cutting them off as I've seen others do, these compression straps are removable. I relocated mine to the bottom of the pack to give more protection to the bottom surface. The bag rides well and I like where it sits on my back (I'm a big guy so it's important). You can see the main compartments in the pics. The rear compartment actually goes all the way through to the bottom and zips open to accommodate a First Tactical Rifle Bag, but for travel I could easily slip it over the handle of a rolling duffle for convenience.
    The only cons I have found are as follows: the zipper pulls are wimpy. I changed them out right away for some beefier 550 and problem solved. Also the inside of the main compartment is supposedly loop fabric for Velcro attachment. It is, but just barely. If you put anything with some real weight on there I feel like it would fall off. I do wish it was more like the fabric you attach patches to.
    Great bag, I feel like First Tactical started with the 5.11 bags and said "how can we improve on these?" and then succeeded. I also purchased two of their Summit Side Satchels and I feel the same way about them. You will not be sorry purchasing gear from them. Also, their sales so far have ACTUALLY been real sales, not just 20%. I got the pack for half price and both Summits for 65% off over the holidays through their website. They also offer free shipping (if you can discipline yourself to wait for it ). If you have any questions let me know.

Edit: add comparison.
    As far as direct comparison I don't have a Rush 12, but I do have a 24 and a MOAB 10. I absolutely love both of my 5.11 bags and use both for other things. Quality between these and the First Tactical bag seem equal so far. I feel like my 5.11 bags are simple and basic, but perfect in their simplicity as I can add to them and modify to my liking. The First Tactical bags have more little features that build on that and make them better, at least for me. You can't go wrong with either. One of the co-founders of 5.11 started First Tactical so it's not hard to see why they would have such a great foundation to start building on.

#30 Wesmanthetiger, Dec 31, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 31, 2016
    EXCALIBUR, anjin and Redneck Bear like this.
  11. b yond

b yond Loaded Pockets

I use a 72 for short backpacking trips. Had it for a couple years and it's seen some hard use in rain, mud, snow, slips and falls, and all manner of abrasion. It's fine under the dirt. No rips no tears.

There are at least two versions of these bags with different strap attachment methods, so one may be better than the other. Mine is the second style.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Jay-uk likes this.
  12. Jules

Jules Loaded Pockets

I know it's too late for those who already have one but, although I like 5.11 and the bag itself, I found mine to be fairly poor quality. I've found Maxped, Hazard 4 & TAD to all be far better built.

As per others' reviews, on my Rush 12, my right strap yoke stitching has split, I always wear the bag on both shoulders and pick it up by the grab handle. I've also had a lot of threads from the molle fraying.

Quite a nice bag, but average quality construction. In fairness - this is reflected in the price as 5.11 is much cheaper than an equivalent bag from a premium manufacturer.

13. velvetelvis

velvetelvis Empty Pockets

14. JFire

JFire Loaded Pockets

Contact 5.11. Their customer service is excellent.

Sent from my SM-G928T using Tapatalk

15. ArkansasFan30

ArkansasFan30 Loaded Pockets

I submit, 5.11's quality has dropped in all production lines.

16. Powrstroke6.0

Powrstroke6.0 Loaded Pockets

Definitely dropped. I have a 5.11 rush messenger bag, and towards the bottom the stitching of the laptop sleeve is uneven. This makes it impossible for the weight to be distributed evenly to make the sleeve useful. I'm forced to use the non sleeved side when I store my laptop.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

17. Fire Fighter

Fire Fighter Loaded Pockets

The current 5.11 Rush bags have a strengthened yolk design for better load carrying and weight distribution. Older models were prone to tearing and did not have the three-piece yolk.

Photo of Rush 12 with strengthened three-piece yolk.
    [​IMG]