1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

5.11 Rush MOAB 10 Pics

Discussion in 'EDC Bags' started by Ike582, Feb 25, 2011.

1. TARFU
    • In Omnia Paratus

TARFU EDC!!!!! Junkie

WulfHermit - I like your setup. The only thing I would change is opting for a small Maxped Rolypoly Dump Pouch so it could be rolled up and out of the way if I wasn't carrying a Nalgene.

2. Urban Hermit

Urban Hermit EDC Junkie!!!

A good idea since I don't often carry a water bottle on my EDC and I do have a small dump pouch. So I guess the H20 carrier can go back on my BOB.

3. bigguy02

bigguy02 Loaded Pockets

I handled a MOAB 10 and 6 today. Very nicely built and felt great, but im not to sure if it would be big enough for my edc needs. Might have to go with a Rush 12

4. 72hours

72hours Loaded Pockets

Great review! Gosh it makes me want a MOAB 10 as a dedicated FAK! It's modular, the right size and everything!

5. Eric

Eric Empty Pockets

I wonder how the Moab 10 compares to the Maxpedition sitka.

6. chriztt

chriztt Loaded Pockets

^^ I too would love to know.

7. bobbyc

bobbyc Loaded Pockets

It seems the MOAB 10 addresses my three biggest beefs with the Sitka:

1. Carries better over one shoulder
    2. Lacks the integrated bottle carrier
    3. Accommodates a 13" MacBook Pro better.

I need to confirm #3.

8. bigguy02

bigguy02 Loaded Pockets

How does it compare to the Kodiak? I am lookign for a EDC/Daddy diaper bag.

9. Pointman

Pointman Loaded Pockets

Depending on what you carry (and how much) it looks like a solid diaper bag option. Having a 1 year old myself, having all those items for my son becomes part of my current EDC. However, I can carry more than enough for a day out in my colossus in the main area of the pouch and still have plenty of space with the outer pockets for most of my items.

I've carried several packs as diaper bag hybrids and the colossus has by far been the easiest to carry. The hazard4 rocket would be another good option if you don't plan to load too much weight into it. The divider inside allows you to modify it as you need depending on what you plan to carry and on the age of your child (bigger diapers, clothing changes, and food).

10. tltb26

tltb26 Loaded Pockets

Ike or other owners,

Is the interior mesh pocket capable of holding a small sized pouch? For example, maybe a maxped 4x6 or a 5.11 6x6 functioning as a FAK pouch or maybe an electronic or tool doodad pouch.

Based upon the main compartment dimensions on website (18.25"H x 9"L x 5.25"D), I'm estimating the mesh pocket/area to be a total area of 12-14" L x 6-7" W x 1-2" D. From your pictures it appears as it can be utilized as one large pocket or two pockets secured within the mesh resulting in aprox. 5-6" L x 3-4" W x 1-2" D.

Would you mind measuring &/or testing with one of your pouches?

Thanks.

11. Priestly

Priestly Loaded Pockets

Major kudos to Ike for the great pics and review! Thanks also to everyone who chipped in with pics, thoughts and questions!

I have a couple of questions of my own: a couple of you have said that the MOAB 10 carries well over one shoulder without wanting to ride off like the Maxped gearslingers (an endless source of annoyance for the Lunada, for me) and that it doesn't press on your neck and put you in a Half-Sleeper hold when it's cross-carried but I'm shorter at 5'6" and a lot more beer - I mean round - than Ike and many of you. Any shorter, rounder guys who carry this bag have opinions on comfort?

Also, my Netbook comes in at about 9x11 in its sleeve, will it fit in the hydration bag space where Ike has his iPad or maybe in the large pocket in the main compartment?

Thanks!

12. NemesisCavalry

NemesisCavalry Loaded Pockets

The 5.11 Rush MOAB drag handle looks quite filmsy ... :(

13. Ike582

Ike582 Loaded Pockets

Priestly,

The external rear sleeve fits my iPad with about 1/2 of room on either side. Given that it's 7.3" wide, my bet is that your 9" wide netbook has no chance. (Length is no issue.). As for the internal sleeve, I don't have ruler handy, but by way of comparison it holds 3 or 4 full size magazines (size of Outside, Esquire, PC, etc) easily. Not sure how that width compares, but hopefully it helps.

14. Priestly

Priestly Loaded Pockets

It helps greatly, Ike. Thanks!

Still would love to hear about wear comfort from shorter guys whose middle-age spread goes on like Montana...

15. Urban Hermit

Urban Hermit EDC Junkie!!!

I've got ya covered there Priestly. I'm 43, only 5'7" about 300lbs. I carry my Moab almost every day. With just a general load it wears very well. I have no problems with it rubbing my neck or side of my face. Today I wore it when taking my dogs to the park so I added the H20 carrier and a nalgene bottle of water. After about a mile I had to adjust the bag a little because my shoulder started to cramp a little from the extra pull of the full water bottle. I need to get used to carrying it with a little more weight i guess. the problem I think wasn't as much bag design as my needing to get used to a bit more weight in the bag. But I love this bag. I used to carry a Maxped Monsoon and this bag is a whole lot more comfortable than it was.

16. bigguy02

bigguy02 Loaded Pockets

I have never looked at the colossus till now. Nice bag, just pretty sure I want a gear slinger type of bag. As far as my sons stuff, he doesn't need much anymore, and I leave alot of his stuff in the car. But #2 is on the way and I am planning ahead. What i really want to do is get the kit for each kid down to a 5.11 10x6 pouch( or something about that size) that way If i only have one of them It will be easier to figure out what I need.

17. Priestly

Priestly Loaded Pockets

Well that just tears it then, Wulf. I see a MOAB 10 in my near future! Thanks much!

18. Geek_Bag_AZ

Geek_Bag_AZ Empty Pockets

Im not 100% convinced... 1st day using the Moab 10. I will be doing a video review next week.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. wfbont007

wfbont007 Loaded Pockets

Got my Moab 10, tried it out and determined that I am staying with the Sitka. Moab is currently on Ebay.

20. Pointman

Pointman Loaded Pockets

I'm really thinking about getting one, but have a feeling it won't live up to the hype. Sometimes things look good on paper, but fall short in practical use.

I have a feeling that there will be plenty in the used market sOon, which is why I held off on it thus far.