1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

5.11 Rush Messenger Suggestion

Discussion in 'EDC Bags' started by Jjb5730, Feb 17, 2019.

1. Jjb5730

Jjb5730 Empty Pockets

Ok.. First post here. Need some suggestions. I am looking for a small messenger bag to keep just some edc essentials, i.e. Pens, notepad, spare knife, flashlight, phone charger, a couple flash drives, lighter and the likes. I also use it to carry my ccw when at the gym or beach, etc. when it isn't on my person. Would like something big enough to throw my 13in laptop and charger into in a pinch if I have to run into the office for the day (work from home typically).

I've been using the Maxpedition Valence tech sling for a few weeks, but I just couldn't get myself to like it. My computer didn't fit in the designated space so I would just have to throw it in the main compartment. Didn't like the lack of a water bottle pouch either. So it has been returned.

I've been eyeing the 5.11 Rush Mike messenger, but I'm just concerned about the depth. Anyone have experience with it? Or should I just step up to the Lima to be safe? Or do you have any other suggestions? Trying to keep it as minimal as possible because I move around a lot and always have the bag on me. Thanks in advance for any help or suggestions!

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

2. bigshowrenfro

bigshowrenfro Loaded Pockets

I have the Hazard 4 Sherman and really enjoy it. Vanquest also makes some nice messenger style bags.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AlgoOPC and Jjb5730 like this.
  3. Jjb5730

Jjb5730 Empty Pockets

I really like the look of the new Vanquest envoy 13. I may hang on until it is released in March.

AlgoOPC and bigshowrenfro like this.
  4. Water-Rat

Water-Rat Loaded Pockets

Vanquest makes some nice bags. I have the old Envoy 2.0 and the Javelin 2.0. The Envoy 13 is supposed to be able to handle a 13 in. laptop. Definitely don't get the full size Envoy because it is supposed to be bigger than the old one, which is a huge bag. It works great for me, but then I have it loaded with music and a clarinet and/or flute, so the huge size was what I needed. Vanquest's stuff has a ton of little organization pockets and I like that their interiors are bright orange. They're a little more money than some companies, but it's well worth it. They have a slight discount active if you pre-order it. 5.11 makes great stuff too, but I haven't tried their messenger bags. I opted for the Vanquest because it was bigger. YouTube is always a great place to find videos of bags when shopping online. Lateboyscout and others have videos of Vanquest's stuff from Shot Show. Looks like the 13 retains the old bag's outside pockets, inside expanding flap pocket and pencil slots with a bigger pocket behind that, but for organizing little edc stuff, you'll need some sort of add in organizer. Gideon's tactical has a good vid on the 5.11 Mike. I don't think they've changed the design on that since it first came out. Looking at the videos the one thing that stood out is the 5.11 is the same color inside and outside and you can't see much on the inside where as the Vanquest's bright orange interior makes everything easy to find. The 5.11s are way cheaper though. The only thing I hate about Vanquest and 5.11 is that I'll never be able to see their stuff in person before I buy. If you go 5.11, you could always order both the Mike and Lima and mail back the one you don't like.

Jjb5730 likes this.
  5. Jjb5730

Jjb5730 Empty Pockets

Thanks for furthering my conundrum lol. I'm just kidding... Watching Gideon's video is what steered me to the Mike. Seems to be close to the perfect size, but just may be a fraction too small for my laptop to slide in. I have the same hangup as you mentioned with 5.11..never understood why they can't put an offsetting color on the interior like every other manufacturer. All in all I much prefer the new Envoy 13, and it appears to be the near perfect bag, but as a man on a budget, the notion that I could get both 5.11 bags currently for the price of the pre-order Envoy is a killer! Looks like I just need to suck it up and make a decision lol. Thank you for the input.

6. Journo

Journo Loaded Pockets

If you like the 5.11 Mike then take a look at the First Tactical Summit Side Satchel. It's a similar design but much better than the Mike. They also have the Ascend if you need/want something larger...

Jjb5730 likes this.
  7. Jjb5730

Jjb5730 Empty Pockets

Tried the Mike. It was so so close to being my perfect bag, but I had to return it. At 2.5" wide it was just too narrow once you stick a laptop, charger, phone chargers, and admin things. The millions of pockets become useless as they all squeeze together. If 5.11 just added another 2 inches of depth it would be perfect. Will likely hold out for the Envoy 13.

8. Mark Patton

Mark Patton Loaded Pockets

I agree the Mike is too small. Try the Lima. I found it to be perfect for moving around with office/work gear. I have a 15” laptop fits with a few inches on each side. I could fit the PC, a few Maxpedition packs, power cords, 9mm, pens, knife, etc.... and STILL have room to spare.

GrimmWolf and Jjb5730 like this.
  9. ox71

ox71 Loaded Pockets

I would suggest the Lima as it is a bit bigger than what you need, I'm not saying you should load the thing to capacity when you get it, but having a little extra space will come in handy if you see something you need at a store, want to pack a small lunch, and carry any extra stuff for a particular day.
    having space for a small umbrella on a day that looks like rain but has not started yet.

ox71

Jjb5730 likes this.
  10. MisterD

MisterD Empty Pockets

I also have the Hazard 4 Sherman, and though I have looked at other bags many of times, I always come back to it. It’s simply a great bag.

ox71 likes this.