1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

5.11 Rush messenger bag - Mike or Lima?

Discussion in 'EDC Bags' started by odg, Feb 10, 2015.

1. odg

odg Loaded Pockets

Considering getting a tactical messenger bag to carry laptop and misc other stuff. Trying to decide between the Mike and Lima, as I don't see any other tactical laptop messenger bags in the price range of these 5.11 bags.

I'd rather go with the Mike if it will fit my needs just so I don't have the extra bulk, weight, and temptation to overload the bag with stuff I don't need.

So with that said, would love to hear from members who own the Mike or Lima (or original Rush, which is about the same size as the Lima). Here's what I'd like to be able to carry:

14" laptop
    travel sized power brick and cable
    7" tablet in protective case
    Maxped Micro Pocket Organizer, stuffed
    travel mouse
    sunglass case
    750ml water bottle (3" diameter)
    singlestack pistol - doesn't have to be in the CCW pocket, could also go inside main compartment if that would fit better

Would any of the Mike's pockets, whether front flap or the various pockets inside the main body cavity fit a stuffed Micro Pocket Organizer - it's roughly 4" x 6" x 2".

Would be nice if these bags didn't have so much velcro. Anyone take the velcro/MOLLE off and sew on some plain MOLLE webbing?

Last edited by odg, Feb 10, 2015
  2. tkill

tkill Loaded Pockets

I have never seen a 5.11 rush messenger in person. But I did do quite a bit of research on them recently when I was looking for a tactical messenger. You carry a similar amount of stuff to me, and I thought the Mike version was going to be too small for me. I ended up going the the Spec Ops Tactical Messenger (standard size not the XL) and it is the perfect size for me. The dimensions of that are comparable to the Lima. I guess it all depends how fully packed you want your bag to be. I don't like mine to be packed too full, since it makes accessing everything more difficult (tighter, etc).

FYI, the Spec Ops has non-velcro MOLLE on the inside. It doesn't have the exterior organization pockets like the 5.11, but I was able to satisfy my organizational needs by attaching pouches to the internal MOLLE. I especially like zippered quick access opening to allow access without flipping up the flap, this is what tipped the scales in favor of the Spec Ops for me.

odg likes this.
  3. odg

odg Loaded Pockets

I'm looking for a messenger bag designed for laptop carry. The Spec-Ops has no laptop compartment. I could carry a laptop in a padded sleeve, but I'd rather have the padding built into the bag.

tkill likes this.
  4. tkill

tkill Loaded Pockets

Gotcha. I opted to carry mine in a sleeve.

5. twodog

twodog Loaded Pockets

ive seen the mike in the local sportsmans warehouse its pretty small, I would go with the lima.

6. odg

odg Loaded Pockets

Picked up a used 5.11 Mike. This bag is as small as a laptop messenger bag can get. It fits a 14" laptop snugly. With laptop power brick/cable, mouse, and cable lock, it's already fairly full, though you can stuff in a few more things. You have the water bottle pockets on the sides which can be uncinched to create more capacity, and of course there's all that webbing that you can hang pouches on. I'll put some pics up later.

Anyone getting the Mike should have a good idea of what they will be carrying (not much) and it shouldn't vary much day-to-day. Everyone else should size up to the Lima, which is more of a standard sized laptop messenger bag.