1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

5.11 Rush Backpacks?

Discussion in 'EDC Bags' started by Dave568, Nov 10, 2007.

1. Dave568

Dave568 BST/Marketplace ban

I was just wondering if anyone has picked up either of the two new 5.11 backpacks, the Rush 24 and the Rush 72.

Rush 72 Link

I'm thinking about picking up a Rush 72, but I haven't seen any reviews of it, and I don't have any stores nearby where I could handle one, so I was hoping someone else could offer some impressions. I like 5.11's other products, they have all been well made, so I would hope their backpack wouldn't be an exception. So... has anyone here handled one? If so, what did you think of it?

2. Molly

Molly Loaded Pockets

3. Lugsalot

Lugsalot EDC Junkie!!!!!

Welcome to EDCF, Molly! :highfive:

Dave568, I poked around a bit and wasn't able to find any reviews of the 5.11 packs either. No doubt we've got at least one member here who can give you more information on them. If not, I'd be a bit surprised!

4. parnass

parnass Loaded Pockets

:welcome: Welcome to EDC Forums, molly.

5. marvin

marvin Empty Pockets

These look great! Might have to wait till after Christmas to nab one, or sell a bag to get this one :)

I couldn't find any reviews either, maybe milspec monkey or military morons will do a review soon.

6. Molly

Molly Loaded Pockets

Thanks, I'm glad to join such interesting community! :)

7. buckshot

buckshot Loaded Pockets

Well, a local store was having a 20% off sale on all 5.11 gear today so I picked up the Rush24 and Rush72 packs as well as several other 5.11 items.

I am planning on using the Rush24 as my EDC pack that I carry to work every day and the Rush72 I am planning on using as my BOB/72 hour kit to keep ready for when :censored:.

As I go about switching over to the two packs I will post my thoughts and hopefully a few pictures so that everyone here can see what the packs are all about.

I can tell you that one of the biggest reasons I picked up the packs was due to how many separate pouches, pockets and little areas there were in the pack for organizing stuff.

I expect the packs to be fairly durable, and we shall see if I am happy with my purchases or not.

8. NSaglibene

NSaglibene Empty Pockets

I picked up the rush 72 to use as my BOB... With so little info about it out I was'nt sure, but I bit the bullet and boy am I glad.

First off this bag really is a 72 hour bag, it is very large, definately cannot be used for EDC but perfect for trips and BOB's and the like. The main compartment zips open all the way, and has about 6 seperate pouches inside it that divide the main portion without making the main compartment useless in carrying larger items. I have cloths in one compartment, food in another, hygene in another, and repair and building materials in another, and at least one is basically empty. There is a bladder compartment directly where your back would sit, and I have my 102oz camel back in there, the straps have molle on them so the straw is nicely placed and fitted into one of these molle straps. There is a small organizer to the top of the pack which has two dividers in it and you could put some small stuff that needs to be accessed easily in there. The front organizer pocket is also rather large and zips fully open, and has compartments on both sides. Here is where I was really impressed, in my experience most "organizers" have two pen slots and a mesh divider, but not here. There are two pockets with velcro closures on each side, these could hold multi tools, and the like, and look like your basic "mag" pouch. There are a few pen holders, at least two zip close mesh pockets, a deep zip close pocket, and im prolly forgetting a thing or two. This front organized is only fixed to the bag by the bottom, and is not entirely sewed on, when the compression straps are locked it is fixed flush to the bag. If you were to loosen the compression straps you could fit somthing bulkier in there like a rolled up jacket or maybe a small sleeping bag. Right now I have a tomohawk in there resting handle up so it can be reached easily. The very of top of the bag has a small eyewear pocket that is fleece lined, which I have yet to use. The side pockets are tall and not very thick, but they have two vertical dividers one on top of the other, which makes the very tall pockets more useful. There is a plentiful amount of molle all over the front and on the sides, and you could really add alot to this pack, probably more weight than I could imagine carrying. The name tape holder, which I have made use of, is very nice, but I wish the flag velcro was larger like on the Tadgear packs. The straps are contoured and padded, along with the wasit belt, this belt isn't removable but the pack is on the large side so it makes sense. The only thing it lacks are some copression straps on the bottom or top for stowing rolled up mats or sleeping bags, but I have a real small 35deg. one that fits inside. But all the straps have nice elastic holders so you can fold up the excess and keep it from swinging all over the place. Very nice pack, exactly what I was looking for.

-P.S. its 5 in the moring and I got my wisdom teeth pulled sorry if thats not perfectly understandable.

9. Stormstaff

Stormstaff Loaded Pockets

Sorry, just wanted to pop in and welcome the 2 newer folks that posted here in case I missed them and welcome them to the EDCF family.

On topic, I really like the look of the Monsoon Gearslinger myself.

10. bravo

bravo Empty Pockets

hi, i write from Italy.
    :help: we not have rush in Italy yet, so i have to ask about it to understand how it's made...
    please could someone tell me if the the rush has a rigid back? if yes, is it a rigid synthetic panel or have it aluminium bars?
    the same for both 24 and 72?
    thnx for your reply

regards

11. NSaglibene

NSaglibene Empty Pockets

There is no bars in it there is just a thin sheet of removable plastic that gives the back a semi stiff feel. I told Ronin six I would get some pics up, I keep leaving it in my car so I forget when I have time. I will try to soon.

12. MrEarp

MrEarp Loaded Pockets

Anyone know the exact spec's? I didnt find anything on 5.11's site.. Looks a bit like the camelbak bFM which is 2500 or 2800.. Its late and I cant remember

13. bravo

bravo Empty Pockets

hi, wouldn't you prefer a stiffer back on the 72? it should be around 40liters...

regards

14. buckshot

buckshot Loaded Pockets

Rush 72 : http://www.511tactical.com/index.asp?dept=29&number=58602

Rush 24 : http://www.511tactical.com/index.asp?dept=29&number=58601

These packs are amazing, there are more pockets and compartments than I have seen in any other pack.

I will see if I can post some pictures and give you my thoughts on the bags over the holidays.

Cheers.

15. jlomein

jlomein Loaded Pockets

I handled a flat earth coloured 24 backpack the other day. It is a really nice bag, feels durable, has many different storage areas and partitions, as well as a ton of PALS webbing and a couple velcro loop areas for flag and name tape use. Note that even though it is advertised as a "24 hour" EDC bag, it is quite large. I would say it would be too large for EDC city use. As a University student, I would find it to be a good size to EDC a 15.4 inch laptop, notes, a few textbooks, and with room to spare. I have to say that the flat earth colour is absolutely terrible in appearance, and I would only buy the black one. I wish it would come in khaki, OD green, or foliage green.

Also be aware that most retailers are selling the 24/72 backpacks with a free 5.11 H20 carrier right now.

16. Dave568

Dave568 BST/Marketplace ban

I ended up buying a Rush 24, and it is an AWESOME pack. However, I have noticed one minor issue with it. I've noticed that every time I wear it, the left shoulder strap loosens by a couple of inches. Does anyone know of any products that can sort of "lock" the straps in place? This is only a minor issue, I know, but it is starting to get annoying having to tighten the strap every time I put the backpack on.

17. bravo

bravo Empty Pockets

hi to all.
    has the Rush (both 24 and 72) a waist belt? is it hideable?
    Thnx and regards

18. BIG-TARGET

BIG-TARGET Empty Pockets

As an owner of a RUSH 24. I can't complain. Quality worth the money :angel:

19. jlomein

jlomein Loaded Pockets

Only the 72 has a waist belt. It does not appear to be hideable.

20. bravo

bravo Empty Pockets

:ty: